Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sir Nibble

Work problem, opinions wanted

Featured Posts

I have a workplace problem. The problem is called absolute classic rock. Absolute classic rock is one of those radio stations that promises never to repeat the same record during the work day. Unfortunately, they repeat all the same records every day after day after day after day and I just can't stand it anymore. If I hear bat out of hell, don't stop believing, paranoid or any one of their endlessly repeated playlist I think I will be able to stop myself putting a hammer through the computer. It's like the Chinese water torture. It's got to the point where I dread going to a job I am otherwise quite happy with and if I can't block it out I shall simply have to leave my job for the sake of my mental health. I am trying to blot it out with the radio 4 app on my phone but it has to be restarted every ninety seconds or so. Ear defenders take it down to the edge of hearing which is better but honestly, I'd sooner go deaf than listen to the same playlist every day for the next week let alone the fact that I got here by listening to it every day for the last year.

So, should I just "get over" myself (impossible, I'm not feeling this way by choice).

Opinions?

Does your work place have a licence to play music ?

We used to have to apply for two different licences but these are now merged into one a "PPL / PRS" licence.

https://pplprs.co.uk/legally-play-music/

Cost £00s / 000's depending over what area the music can be heard.

If they don't have the licence, and its 'that bad' report them and silence will reign.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Do they have a licence to play the radio in a workplace? If not just dob them in (anonymously of course) and peace will reign!

Just now, Dyertribe said:

Do they have a licence to play the radio in a workplace? If not just dob them in (anonymously of course) and peace will reign!

Oops, cross posted! however great minds and all that .....

Is it a colleague playing the station? Can you ask them to change the station? They may not realise how much it annoys you. 

Not only is it the same tracks, its the same track at the same time of day so you can always know when your breaks are.

I just went to spotify and set it on shuffle and turned it up to 11, couldn't hear Absolute then ;)

34 minutes ago, Sir Nibble said:

I have a workplace problem. The problem is called absolute classic rock. Absolute classic rock is one of those radio stations that promises never to repeat the same record during the work day. Unfortunately, they repeat all the same records every day after day after day after day and I just can't stand it anymore. If I hear bat out of hell, don't stop believing, paranoid or any one of their endlessly repeated playlist I think I will be able to stop myself putting a hammer through the computer. It's like the Chinese water torture. It's got to the point where I dread going to a job I am otherwise quite happy with and if I can't block it out I shall simply have to leave my job for the sake of my mental health. I am trying to blot it out with the radio 4 app on my phone but it has to be restarted every ninety seconds or so. Ear defenders take it down to the edge of hearing which is better but honestly, I'd sooner go deaf than listen to the same playlist every day for the next week let alone the fact that I got here by listening to it every day for the last year.

So, should I just "get over" myself (impossible, I'm not feeling this way by choice).

Opinions?

Convince them to alternate planet rock and absolute rock, both repeat but at least it would be a different list.

Or nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure

My sympathies.  Although retired I work part time in a fabrication shop, the other welder (bosses son) is in his twenties, so you can imagine the type of music.  Funny thing is I've found myself getting quite used to it, even "enjoy" some of the tunes.  Suppose having the ability to switch off and concentrate on the job helps, other than that no easy answer I'm afraid.

21 minutes ago, Beo said:

Is it a colleague playing the station? Can you ask them to change the station? They may not realise how much it annoys you. 

A licence is still required if it can be heard by 'others'.

I find planet rock is more bearable....with radio 4 when it’s the hairy bikers as they are dire. 

5 minutes ago, frangar said:

I find planet rock is more bearable....with radio 4 when it’s the hairy bikers as they are dire. 

I like the hairy bikers, with you on Radio 4 though

' Absolute classic rock is one of those radio stations that promises never to repeat the same record during the work day. '

If this is the case then make a list of duplicate plays over a period of, say 2 days, and then contact them and threaten to sue or expose them on social media.

1 hour ago, Sir Nibble said:

Opinions?

slightly off topic but Absolute  came out of Virgin Radio which we had on in an office I worked in in the mid 1990's. The playlist then consisted of about 4 records,. I believe that that had so many complaints that they had to bring in the never to repeat the same record during the work day concept!

Edited by Tim Lewis

When I was working, many moons ago, we had a guy on another bench who played Classic FM incessently. It was boring and mind numbing after a while. BUT I and the other people in tha workshop were communications engineers and we had wide frequency signal generators that went up to, and way beyond, the 100.1 MHz frequency of Classic FM (up here). The generators were powerful enough to block Classic FM on his radio. He got annoyed but there wasn't much he could do.

I've been in shops where the music repeats while I am still in the store. I have wondered how on earth the shop staff cope!

28 minutes ago, David Mack said:

I've been in shops where the music repeats while I am still in the store. I have wondered how on earth the shop staff cope!

Christmas is the worst time of year for this. If I worked on the supermarket floor and had to listen to Wizard, Slade etc on a constant loop I think I'd kill myself. Or somebody else.

If you're listening to Radio 4 (or any other BBC station) try listening via BBC Sounds (I Player re-badged). When I use it on my tablet it plays uninterrupted. Not sure if it stays connected between programmes.   

4 hours ago, Sir Nibble said:

I have a workplace problem. The problem is called absolute classic rock.

I have a similar problem in one of my workplaces although mine is called "Smooth FM".

I'd prefer to work in silence (I regard music as a distraction while I'm wrestling with a thorny IT problem) but Smooth has the sort of "Jolly" DJ's that gradually turn your brain to cheese and it gets to the "If I hear 'The Smooth Drive Home with...' once more the radio goes in the pond".

I say pond as the bigger problem is this workplace is home and the culprit is Mrs 1st Ade!

4 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

Dire Straits   Industrial Disease?

Two men say they’re Jesus, one of them must be wrong...

Yes BBC sounds app is excellent. You can do live radio or choose drama or comedy or whatever programming you want to listen to. 

AFAIK the BBC radio player app was replaced by Sounds last year so maybe that's why you have to restart it every 90 seconds ?

@mrsmelly had to give up a promising career in the navy due to a similar issue. 'Course, back then it was folk singing the same bloomin' sea shanties over and over and over and over again, but the principle is the same. Anyway, there's a limit to how many times even the best of us can "toss off a full bumper"....

15 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

@mrsmelly had to give up a promising career in the navy due to a similar issue. 'Course, back then it was folk singing the same bloomin' sea shanties over and over and over and over again, but the principle is the same. Anyway, there's a limit to how many times even the best of us can "toss off a full bumper"....

😝

3 hours ago, cougie said:

Yes BBC sounds app is excellent. You can do live radio or choose drama or comedy or whatever programming you want to listen to. 

AFAIK the BBC radio player app was replaced by Sounds last year so maybe that's why you have to restart it every 90 seconds ?

And you can download most (not all) to your device and keep it for 3 weeks from date of broadcast. I tend to use it for radio 4 or 4 extra. 

Correction , up to 4 weeks not 3. It's Borrowbox that's 3 weeks

Edited by Slim

Put your own music on your phone or MP3 player and listen to it through Etymotic earphones. Their earphones cut noise by 98% (up to 42dB)

I used to travel on the London Underground and DLR using Etymotic earphones and they completely isolated the noise of the trains.

These ones are the cheapest.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Etymotic-ERMK-5-Isolating-Earbuds-Earphones-Black/dp/B00OQG7IC2/ref=pd_sbs_23_t_0/260-8504833-4093362?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00OQG7IC2&pd_rd_r=0a28df88-033b-46b9-a0a2-423a5ed09b19&pd_rd_w=aKeew&pd_rd_wg=gXzOr&pf_rd_p=e44592b5-e56d-44c2-a4f9-dbdc09b29395&pf_rd_r=BR9W3049966KD0796Y9H&psc=1&refRID=BR9W3049966KD0796Y9H