Webasto Service and Repair callout to Hemel

Featured Posts

Hi, I'll do another post in a minute introducing myself, but right now I have a problem.

Our webasto was working fine last night but this morning will not start properly, and just throws out white smoke.

It is not a voltage issue as the same happens with the engine running.

It doesn't start the same as it always had - The tornado noise of the fan is missing. It ticks as usual and there is a drip of unburnt diesel coming out of the exhaust.  It does not shut it'sself down like I think it should if it detected a problem with the fan / heating element. My guess is fan / coked up.

If anyone can recommend a good fast company for callout please let me know.

I am not on facebook but can click facebook links.

ETA : I am unlikely to attempt (or successfully) to diagnose / fix this myself.

Edited by Guest
eta no self diagnosis

Got hold of Ed, said he (no longer?) doesn't do webasto. Recommended Darren at Cowroast Marine Services : 01442 825522

Gave him a call and will call me back next week and try and get out to me. £50 one time call out (repeat visits free) + £60 an hour.

Said it sounds like it's rotted through and allowing water into the combustion chamber - the whole 'lump' will need to be replaced.

Wonder if it has anything to do with the cold night we just had - maybe not enough anti freeze?

3 hours ago, 65ftnb said:

Got hold of Ed, said he (no longer?) doesn't do webasto. Recommended Darren at Cowroast Marine Services : 01442 825522

Gave him a call and will call me back next week and try and get out to me. £50 one time call out (repeat visits free) + £60 an hour.

Said it sounds like it's rotted through and allowing water into the combustion chamber - the whole 'lump' will need to be replaced.

Wonder if it has anything to do with the cold night we just had - maybe not enough anti freeze?

I have to admit destroying my webasto on one of my boats a few years ago by topping up without anti freeze. Cracked inside full of water in the wrong place. 

• 3 weeks later...

update.

After unforeseen situation with his vehicle it turned out simpler to go to him (and save callout fees etc). Couple of days travel and we made it there Friday afternoon. (Just after CRT had locked the lock - sigh).

CRT seemed to forget the next morning to unlock it and we didn't get through until gone ten. Wind was quite strong which made the tight entrance to the marina a little difficult but made it in without incident.

Darren was a thoroughly nice bloke and had come in on the Saturday just for us.

Turns out the main block was fine, but the burner had cooked it's self and had disintegrated. Burner replaced, a good clean and service and tested on his workshop setup. Remounted and job done.

Whilst we where there I asked if we could move (and replace) the header tank. It was on the opposite side of the boat in the locker with mooring pins etc and was always in the way. It was a stainless steel tank with a loose lid that was always being knocked off and regularly had various forms of wildlife building their homes. Being a single pipe header I felt that having it directly above the webasto was a far better solution for the air bubbles.

Also got him to do a couple of other little jobs that quite frankly we where too lazy to do.

My only concerns are :

1) The webasto and engine headers still overflow into the locker. Need to sort out some external fitting for it.

2) The webasto tank has an open port on the top (as well as the overflow under the cap. 

See top left in this image https://webastomarine.co.uk/shop/vclose1.asp?prd=135623&cat=4769003217

Is there some sort of cap I can put on here to keep the wildlife out?

Wind had picked up and since we had come in forwards we had to reverse, turn 90deg and reverse under the narrow bridge that keeps them pesky widebeams out and turn 90deg again. No major dramas but a bit of butt clenching did occur :)

Of course CRT had locked the lock again so spent the night outside the marina.

All in all, job done. expensive but at least it's sorted now that the cold weather appears to have ended - sigh.