CRT Election

john6767

Featured Posts

16 hours ago, jeddlad said:

Thanks to those who mentioned forum members or other of note, who are standing. I was at a total loss who to vote for.

I've voted for the forum members Phil Prettyman and Andy Tidy (whose video on you tube re seeking election was a) a good idea and b) made me chuckle

Also voted for the guy encouraging freight on the Aire and Calder and for Eric McDowall who is an unashamed traditionalist. Nowt wrong with a bit of tradition in these modern days!

Wasn't going to vote but after reading this thread and then voting, I now feel slightly smug that I've contributed in a very small way to our waterways!

Many thanks for your vote.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

As a current and potentially future boaters rep (depending on election results) I feel a lot of people miss the main point of the role. The most important aspect is its governance role, selecting new trustees and if necessary removing existing trustees if it's felt they are not acting in the best interests of the Trust. After that the role is one of influence where, via formal and informal channels, concerns which we feel are important are fed into CRT's executive management. 

• Greenie 1

12 hours ago, Capt Ahab said:

As a current and potentially future boaters rep (depending on election results) I feel a lot of people miss the main point of the role. The most important aspect is its governance role, selecting new trustees and if necessary removing existing trustees if it's felt they are not acting in the best interests of the Trust. After that the role is one of influence where, via formal and informal channels, concerns which we feel are important are fed into CRT's executive management. 

I've just clicked through from the email reminder to the voting page.  At no point is there any kind of explanation of the role or the reasons for it.  Interestingly, the only time the title of the role is mentioned is in the title of the email "Election of 4 Private Boating Representatives to Council".  The obvious inference of this is that they are appointed to represent the interests and concerns of boaters, although that is not explicitly stated.  If they aren't canvassing a wide portion of boaters, then what exactly are they representing?  The simple answer is that they're representing their own interests and concerns.  That's fine for people who's concerns are aligned with the council members, but....

I'm still waiting for an example of a tangible positive outcome which is attributable to the input of the Boating Reps.  If examples can be found then fine, I'm happy.  If not, then this is just another CRT waste of money.

On 20/01/2020 at 17:00, doratheexplorer said:

In any case, do these reps actually wield any power at all?  Or is it just for people who like to attend committees and feel important?

I take issue with your comment. I was a boaters rep last time, illness meant we had to move onto land last November and I am no longer a Boater.

However the boater's reps managed to get significant changes, two reps were on the Appointments Committee & so influenced trustees appointed. We held meetings with various senior managers every quarter. 

I reported back, as did Andy Tidy, for meetings I attended. 

I hope the new reps will report back. I don't know if any have posted here at all. I am in the Friends constituency this time. 

Just now, StarUKKiwi said:

I take issue with your comment. I was a boaters rep last time, illness meant we had to move onto land last November and I am no longer a Boater.

However the boater's reps managed to get significant changes, two reps were on the Appointments Committee & so influenced trustees appointed. We held meetings with various senior managers every quarter. 

I reported back, as did Andy Tidy, for meetings I attended. 

I hope the new reps will report back. I don't know if any have posted here at all. I am in the Friends constituency this time. 

That's the second time you've taken issue with the same comment!

Can you let us know what the significant changes were?

Tangible positive outcome is governance of the Trust & why I wished to continue because, as with any large organisation, it takes time. The decision to open Customer Services later and at weekends was as a result of our meetings with the Customer Service team 

2 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

That's the second time you've taken issue with the same comment!

Can you let us know what the significant changes were?

Apologies, it was on my phone, see above the quote, forgive me renal memory, also setting up the disabled boaters forum was instigated by reps, but influencing opinion of trustees on liveaboard boaters was the most tangible benefit. I hope to continue to support other volunteer reps. We were on a learning curve first two years, plus council needed updating. 

Edited by StarUKKiwi

1 hour ago, doratheexplorer said:

The obvious inference of this is that they are appointed to represent the interests and concerns of boaters, although that is not explicitly stated.  If they aren't canvassing a wide portion of boaters, then what exactly are they representing?

Does your elected representative in Parliament, (your MP), canvas your views on everything that is likely to be discussed there?

Of course they do not.  You look at the candidates available, and try to pick the one you feel most aligned with, and hope they will represent you better than any of the alternatives.  If you have your own particular issue, you raise it with them - they don't come to you all the time asking your opinion.

This is no different, surely.

For any matter of interest to boaters you may find nearly as many different opinions as there are boaters, so even if your representative could gather your opinion every time, would you be happy if they ignored it if it was not in line with the greater majority?

There are huge identifiable differences between the candidates here. For example, some make it pretty plain that they think the most important thing about canals now is to have a large live-aboard community in certain geographical areas, and those people should be given priority abov those who ttravel long distances around the whole system.  If you share that view, vote for those people - if you don't, vote for someone else who sounds like they will better represent you!  Votefor nobody, and you can't complain if you don't like the outcome!

11 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Does your elected representative in Parliament, (your MP), canvas your views on everything that is likely to be discussed there?

Actually, these days, yes they do, through twitter, facebook etc.  My regional mayor also does this.  It's less than perfect but there you go.  MPs also have weekly surgeries where constituents can raise their concerns directly.  I've also emailled my local MP on occassion, with good results.  The fact that I'm allocated one specific MP for my area helps too.  I don't know how to email any of the Boating Reps, I don't know the extent of their remit, and I wouldn't have a clue which one of them I should contact anyway.  So it's not the same at all.

Of course they do not.  You look at the candidates available, and try to pick the one you feel most aligned with, and hope they will represent you better than any of the alternatives.  If you have your own particular issue, you raise it with them - they don't come to you all the time asking your opinion.

This is no different, surely.

Yes, it is.  See above.

For any matter of interest to boaters you may find nearly as many different opinions as there are boaters, so even if your representative could gather your opinion every time, would you be happy if they ignored it if it was not in line with the greater majority?

Yes, of course I would.  But right now, we don't even know what the majority view is, or even if those views are relevant to the council.

There are huge identifiable differences between the candidates here. For example, some make it pretty plain that they think the most important thing about canals now is to have a large live-aboard community in certain geographical areas, and those people should be given priority abov those who ttravel long distances around the whole system.  If you share that view, vote for those people - if you don't, vote for someone else who sounds like they will better represent you!  Votefor nobody, and you can't complain if you don't like the outcome!

On 12/02/2020 at 13:49, doratheexplorer said:

My experience is that I've never seen any feedback from anyone on this, despite being a forum member and going on facebook groups.  Surely it would be sensible to have a single feedback route from all reps along with published minutes of meetings.  Perhaps a CRT webpage, perhaps an email circular, or a posted leaflet.

Unless that happens, then I still think these reps are redundant.  How are they representing boaters when it's unlikely they're gathering views from outside their own bubble?

Given that I travel a significant proportion of the system on a regular basis and meet thousands of boaters a year through our business - my "bubble" is probably a lot larger than you think!

CRT website with all the statements seems to be down... save me reading a load of waffle or disenfranchise me in an important election?!?

Edited to add: should the site revive I'd definitely be in favour of a candidate suggesting the kind of transparency @doratheexplorer mentions. Telling your mates about it in a canal side pub is one thing... but in 2020 some form of regular published updates wouldn't go amiss...

Edited by TheMenagerieAfloat

8 hours ago, Capt Ahab said:

Given that I travel a significant proportion of the system on a regular basis and meet thousands of boaters a year through our business - my "bubble" is probably a lot larger than you think!

Glad to hear it.  I'm one of the boaters you've met.  However, you didn't mention your were a rep and we didn't discuss anything to do with it.  So I'm not really sure I count as being in your bubble.  Your rhubarb and raspberry jam is very nice though.

1 hour ago, doratheexplorer said:

Glad to hear it.  I'm one of the boaters you've met.  However, you didn't mention your were a rep and we didn't discuss anything to do with it.  So I'm not really sure I count as being in your bubble.  Your rhubarb and raspberry jam is very nice though.

Glad you liked it - we had a major jam making session yesterday and made 100 jars of it for the forthcoming season! You will be in my bubble next time we meet....

Have a good day

1 hour ago, Capt Ahab said:

Glad you liked it - we had a major jam making session yesterday and made 100 jars of it for the forthcoming season! You will be in my bubble next time we meet....

Have a good day

Well that is about the most middle class corruption scandal imaginable... 

Cash (rhubarb jam) for information on the retiree's playground. 

Seriously though, not a remotely balanced or inclusive approach to engaging with the network's users

Edited to add: but the website is now up again, thanks for asking

Edited by TheMenagerieAfloat

33 minutes ago, TheMenagerieAfloat said:

Well that is about the most middle class corruption scandal imaginable... 

Cash (rhubarb jam) for information on the retiree's playground. 

Seriously though, not a remotely balanced or inclusive approach to engaging with the network's users

Edited to add: but the website is now up again, thanks for asking

It's not ideal is it?  It seems Andy is one of the best reps and does most to engage with boaters.  But even then there's a direct correllation between having input to the reps and liking homemade jam :wacko:

Interesting thread given that voting finishes in less than 8 hours time. I stood last time, in 2015, and posted everywhere I could think of on the last day. I've just trawled some of the obvious Facebook pages and can find nothing from those wishing me to vote for them, a couple of posts on the London Boaters Pages from others but that's about it. It worries me that people put themselves forward but give no indication as to how they will elicit the thoughts of those they represent or say how they will feed back. I was very grateful for Stella's feedback last time but heard nothing from 2 of the other private boaters representatives. Maybe they a good job and maybe they didn't, how can anyone tell. Now to vote.....

44 minutes ago, roggie said:

Interesting thread given that voting finishes in less than 8 hours time. I stood last time, in 2015, and posted everywhere I could think of on the last day. I've just trawled some of the obvious Facebook pages and can find nothing from those wishing me to vote for them, a couple of posts on the London Boaters Pages from others but that's about it. It worries me that people put themselves forward but give no indication as to how they will elicit the thoughts of those they represent or say how they will feed back. I was very grateful for Stella's feedback last time but heard nothing from 2 of the other private boaters representatives. Maybe they a good job and maybe they didn't, how can anyone tell. Now to vote.....

I decided not to vote when I found that Andrew Phasey would continue as a private boaters rep on Council and on the Appointments sub-committee. 

No read anything about that, all 4 private boaters places are being re-elected and he isn't standing. Unless he has been 'given' another place on the council but it wouldn't be representing private boaters. Where did you read/hear that? 

Twitter isn't exactly full of tweets about the elections, I just tweeted something and CRT responded saying a reminder was included in their last boaters update, not sure exactly how many people religiously read that.

I had hoped (one can dream) that after last times 16% turnout CRT would go all out to increase the awareness of the council and elections. Twas not to be. 

22 minutes ago, roggie said:

No read anything about that, all 4 private boaters places are being re-elected and he isn't standing. Unless he has been 'given' another place on the council but it wouldn't be representing private boaters. Where did you read/hear that? 

Twitter isn't exactly full of tweets about the elections, I just tweeted something and CRT responded saying a reminder was included in their last boaters update, not sure exactly how many people religiously read that.

I had hoped (one can dream) that after last times 16% turnout CRT would go all out to increase the awareness of the council and elections. Twas not to be. 

You seem unaware of the changes to the private boater constituency. NABO provides a pretty good summary -

https://nabo.org.uk/index.php/reference/canal-a-river-trust/1001-crt-council-elections

AWCC are nominating Andrew Phasey.

15 minutes ago, roggie said:

I did know AWCC were given a place but not that they had proposed Mr Phasey. I'm a Cutweb member and will pen something on our email list. Thanks for the link. 

The information that Andrew Phasey will continue in post was provided by AWCC chair, Ann Banks in an email to me. However, as usual, nothing the AWCC website.

2 hours ago, roggie said:

My experience is saying otherwise....

The National Bargee Travellers Associaton (NBTA) are using social media (Facebook and Twitter) extensively in the closing days to try to get people to vote for their candidate.

That would be the same NBTA that I have challenged about untrue claims in the past and who responded with "why let the truth get in the way of a good story?"

I really would prefer that none of my 4 reps are from the NBTA, but at least they are showing some initiative in trying to get people to vote, something I have seen little evidence of from most of the candidates.

So if you don't want to be represented by the NBTA, and haven't voted yet, I suggest you use these final few hours to vote for people you might prefer to be on Council.