It's my Pullman Diner

LadyG

Featured Posts

OK, having a blonde moment.

I am buying 56" wide material.

Common sense says that the cushion laid flat will take 4 metres of material to cover them overall plus two metres for the side panels. 

There are four cushions:

2 x 2ft x 4ft

2 x 15" x 4ft

all are 5 " thick.

SA=2lw+2lh+2hw,

so surface area of one large cushion is [2x4]+[2x 0.5]+[2x2]=13 sq ft

surface area of small cushion is [2x4]+[2x0.5]+[2x1.25] = 11.5 sq ft

TOTAL = 26+23 = 49 sq ft

49 sq ft = 4.55 sq metres. I have not allowed for 3/4" hems.

How much material of 56" width?

TOP AND BOTTOM OF CUSHIONS

length of top  cushions add on 0.1ft hems  = 1.35+ 2.1 +2.1+ 1.35 = 6.9 ft,

length of bottom of cushion as above = 6.9 ft

Total length =13.8 ft = 4.2 m of 1 m wide material

4.2/1.44 =3m of 1.44 m wide fabric

Edited by LadyG

Have you made an allowance for the salvage edge (I think its called) that you allow on the side of the seams that go inside the cushion. I would think you need to add 10mm/1.2" to each seam for that so the 4ft x 2 ft cushion top becomes 4' 1" x 2' 1", same for the side panels and bottom.

If it helps you can get two top/bottom panels side by side in 56" material with enough spare for one side panel (allowing for the salvage)

For four cushions that is 16 ft (ignoring the salvage) plus whatever is needed for the side panels you can't get from the spare fabric to the side of the top/bottom pieces. 16 ft linear is about 5 linear meters  of 56" wide fabric.

Now my head hurts. I would actually use a simple CAD/vector art program to lay it all out on screen to see how it will all fit into 56" fabric.

Beaton by Graham re the salvage.

Edited by Tony Brooks

Yes the selvedge in this material is likely to bring the actual usable width to 54", though it can be used for hems in this job.

It is striped with a fairly small repeat [longitudinal not "railroad"]

36 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Have you made an allowance for the salvage edge (I think its called) that you allow on the side of the seams that go inside the cushion. I would think you need to add 10mm/1.2" to each seam for that so the 4ft x 2 ft cushion top becomes 4' 1" x 2' 1", same for the side panels and bottom.

If it helps you can get two top/bottom panels side by side in 56" material with enough spare for one side panel (allowing for the salvage)

For four cushions that is 16 ft (ignoring the salvage) plus whatever is needed for the side panels you can't get from the spare fabric to the side of the top/bottom pieces. 16 ft linear is about 5 linear meters  of 56" wide fabric.

Now my head hurts. I would actually use a simple CAD/vector art program to lay it all out on screen to see how it will all fit into 56" fabric.

Beaton by Graham re the salvage.

No, only  one panel per cushion width if the stripes are running vertically, which is standard orientation.

Edited by LadyG

since you seem to have all the facts at your disposal, wouldn't it be possible to sort it out yourself? 

it is quite elementary, but can only be done by drawing every panel on a piece of paper and fitting the shapes onto a rectangle 56" wide.

................  perhaps in Kansas or South Carolina there is an absence of arithmetical common sense.    :banghead:

5 minutes ago, LadyG said:

No, only  one panel per cushion width if the stripes are running vertically, which is standard orientation.

New info - striped or patterned materiel.

I would still lay it out on a computer because there is likely to be an  awfully lot of waste. Actually I would choose a materiel that would be less wasteful

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

New info - striped or patterned materiel.

I would still lay it out on a computer because there is likely to be an  awfully lot of waste. Actually I would choose a materiel that would be less wasteful

It's a beautiful  fabric,

https://www.justfabrics.co.uk//curtain-fabric-upholstery/grey-brushed-stripe-fabric/?

Tony,  and heavily discounted.

I have been unable to contact them today, so have ordered 7m in case someone else buys it.

There won't be waste there will be lots of mix 'n match things.

Yesterday I found a guy in desperate need of curtains .... I can set up in business!

Edited by LadyG

I see you have edited your original post. I don't think you gave enough information first time around. Working out the total surface area of the cushions will give you a lower bound to the amount of material you will need as it takes no account of the shape and size of the pieces in relation to the fabric width, nor of the pattern orientation or pattern repeat. Best to draw it out as others have said.

And if you are going to pipe the edges in the same fabric you will need extra, although much of that can probably come from the offcuts.

8 minutes ago, David Mack said:

I see you have edited your original post. I don't think you gave enough information first time around. Working out the total surface area of the cushions will give you a lower bound to the amount of material you will need as it takes no account of the shape and size of the pieces in relation to the fabric width, nor of the pattern orientation or pattern repeat. Best to draw it out as others have said.

And if you are going to pipe the edges in the same fabric you will need extra, although much of that can probably come from the offcuts.

yes, I just wanted a ballpark figure as my maths gave me results from 4.5 metres of 54/56" up to 12m .

I think looms are still imperial, and some fabric has a 1" selvedge, so it is 54"

Anyways 7 m will be enough [I think]. If the company would respond to my messages they will be able to confirm.

Edited by LadyG

just got a call from someone from Just Fabrics who I ordered material from, sent two messages and two phone calls on Sunday, and today at 9 00 am and 11 00 am.

Regardless they have cut the fabric and will post it today, so apparently that is their idea of customer service, no friendly chat, no advice. Why bother .

So they lost my additional sale, and denied me a 15% discount [advertised]

PS piping is better done with plain [contrast] or "on the bias".

I am not sure if the "risk" of piping is worth it, I will have to experiment.

Edited by LadyG

34 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

My wife uses this company to buy fabrics and finds their customer service is excellent
https://www.empressmills.co.uk/

yea, well I won't need much more, just 4 metres thermal lining and 2 m FR [fire resistant] for the curtain next to the stove.

Day 2: hemmed seven linings, stabbed finger, sewing machine not co-operating

Edited by LadyG