I wonder if this will be applied to the waterways ?

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

On 21/01/2020 at 17:32, Jerra said:

The problem I have with that is size.   Most people take the attitude large estates you should be allowed to wander on but aren't prepared to have their garden under the same rules.   So why is it OK on a large estate and not on garden?   Where would you draw the line 2 hectare (5 acre) garden OK, 1.8 hectare (4.5 acres) not OK?

If you are going to allow free access why should any land be classed as different to what is a couple of miles down the road.

I think in Sweden the right to roam is up to but not over 100m from a residence which covers gardens around big or small estates. 

On 22/01/2020 at 18:01, tree monkey said:

Well obviously they would never chase a real fox, cause that's against the law isn't it.

We really need an irony smiley 

On 22/01/2020 at 17:48, Jerra said:

Possibly both as the hunt isn't supposed to be chasing foxes.

In Suffolk the local hunt has overcome this small problem. They go for a run with their dogs after a dragged scent. If they disturb a fox (as if) then no problem they have a man with an Eagle Owl who will dispatch the fox. I had a chat with him and he assured me his owl was perfectly capable of killing a fox. I asked him if it had ever been needed to kill said fox, "er no" . It was a magnificent animal and the thought of throwing it into a pack of dogs who had just caught a fox to dispatch said fox struck me as unlikely! 

10 hours ago, Felshampo said:

I think in Sweden the right to roam is up to but not over 100m from a residence which covers gardens around big or small estates. 

In Suffolk the local hunt has overcome this small problem. They go for a run with their dogs after a dragged scent. If they disturb a fox (as if) then no problem they have a man with an Eagle Owl who will dispatch the fox. I had a chat with him and he assured me his owl was perfectly capable of killing a fox. I asked him if it had ever been needed to kill said fox, "er no" . It was a magnificent animal and the thought of throwing it into a pack of dogs who had just caught a fox to dispatch said fox struck me as unlikely! 

An Eagle owl could take a fox while it was still ahead of the pack assuming of course they intend to use the owl to kill it.   No need to throw it into the pack.

Thinking back to the days when I regularly saw hunting, by careful thought/watching the pack the owl could take the fox out of sight of the pack.

Like you I know they are using this as an excuse.

"with the intention to reside"

If the act is drafted in this way I can see lots of income for our legal friends.

Also, off topic, but some are talking about the question of open access land. The National Coastal Path legislation creates all land between high tide and the Path as OA land but excludes houses, gardens, parks and commercial buildings.

4 hours ago, Jerra said:

An Eagle owl could take a fox while it was still ahead of the pack assuming of course they intend to use the owl to kill it.   No need to throw it into the pack.

Thinking back to the days when I regularly saw hunting, by careful thought/watching the pack the owl could take the fox out of sight of the pack.

Like you I know they are using this as an excuse.

The handler was on foot so this made it unlikely he could get to the fox before the pack but it could be possible. 

1 hour ago, Felshampo said:

The handler was on foot so this made it unlikely he could get to the fox before the pack but it could be possible. 

All the packs up here are on foot no horses.   The owl would/should be able to get there before the pack providing the fox is in view of it.