Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
ivan&alice

Watford to Bedford along GU, Nene, MLN and Ouse

Featured Posts

31 minutes ago, PaulJ said:

It is-and with the wind blowing down the river and a bit of flow on probably the most horrible to get in or out of on the upstream end.

Got me thinking on that one-there are only actually 6 'D' shaped with 6 straight guillotine locks (including Denver). I too would have sworn the D,s are the most common on the Ouse but actually arent.

D- shaped: St Ives, Hemingford, Houghton, Godmanchester, Brampton, Eaton Socon (6)

Straight: Brownshill, Paper Mill, Offord, Cardington, Bedford (5)

Twin mitre: Roxton, Barford, Willington, Castle Mill (4)

I don't think Denver counts,  as the Ely Ouse is a separate river system (it should be called the Cam  .. .). And its only had guillotines since three 1980s

12 hours ago, john6767 said:

That is what I was thinking, “pro rate refund for full months unused”, you don’t get it all back just unused months.  So I have lost Jan now and once we get to Feb I loose Feb as well.  I need to call them I guess, if I want to do it.

Just to close this.  I have switched to a Gold licence, it is trivially simple to do online there is no need to call CRT.  The refund on the existing licence is initiated automatically and despite what it says online about being “full months unused” the refund is for the full period from 1st Jan, so it does not matter at what time of year you switch.  So well done to CRT for a simple a seamless system.

36 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Just to close this.  I have switched to a Gold licence, it is trivially simple to do online there is no need to call CRT.  The refund on the existing licence is initiated automatically and despite what it says online about being “full months unused” the refund is for the full period from 1st Jan, so it does not matter at what time of year you switch.  So well done to CRT for a simple a seamless system.

Thought so.

But I had to ring them when we changed to a Gold licence a few years back as that is the only way to get the historic boat discount (which applies to the CRT portion of the fee, but not the EA's).

18 hours ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

Last time I went to the head of navigation I turned here (57' boat). One side of the island was too shallow, the other side had too much vegetation.

Yes that is where we turned (67ft) on our second visit, with no difficulty; the previous time we got closer to the bridge and turned where the tributary enters just below it.

On 20/01/2020 at 06:34, ivan&alice said:

Planning my first really long boating adventure for between April and July when the warmer weather hits.

The farthest north I have been is just before Lock 74, Lady Capels near the Huntingdon Bridge interchange. I have family in East Anglia so from there I'd like to head north on the Grand Union through Milton Keynes and the Blisworth Tunnel, then take a right through Northampton and onto EA waters. From there, the River Nene to Peterborough and the Middle Levels to Salters Lode. Then the Old Bedford River / Hundred Foot Drain to join up with the Great Ouse at Earith. I then want to follow the Great Ouse to Bedford.

Is this all feasible with our 65' narrowboat?

Is the time of year appropriate?

Where is the head of navigation on the Great Ouse?

Am I going to have any trouble finding moorings along this route?

Will a gold license be enough or do I need other special licenses for this route?

I have not yet been on any rivers other than the Lea and Stort which for the most part were no different to canals. I have read the handbook about river navigation and it seems deceptively straightforward. However I have also read on this forum that flooding and tides can be an issue on these rivers. What else do I need to know and how can I find this out?

Any other advice for me?

Thanks!!

You may find this and other items this of interest from our 2018 trip down the Nene  & over the ML and up the G Ouse and its Lodes. https://braggaboutlife.wordpress.com/2018/02/26/whittlesey-dyke-to-the-great-ouse-via-well-creek/