Remote battery monitoring

frahkn

Featured Posts

Just now, TheBiscuits said:

No, but I have been playing with someone else's 950 this week.  It's a bit of a swiss army knife, as it tries to have too many functions and they are not all done well.  They are quite good if you need that one odd feature though, which is the market they are designed for.

My one has a built in GPS too, but I have found no use for it so far.It could be used to find the boat if ever it was knicked I spose, if the router was hidden.

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

Ping reboot: The router periodically send out a signal (ping) to a specified IP address. If it gets no reply, the router is rebooted.

SMS (text message) control, is exactly that.The router can be remotely controlled through the use of SMS messages from afar. OR near for that matter.

One tells the box "If you lose your internet connection, unplug yourself and then plug yourself back in, that might fix it."

The other tells the box "Ring your mother!"

Well, nearly! :D

Edited by TheBiscuits
spellink
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Ping reboot: The router periodically send out a signal (ping) to a specified IP address. If it gets no reply, the router is rebooted.

SMS (text message) control, is exactly that.The router can be remotely controlled through the use of SMS messages from afar. OR near for that matter.

So are these routers more complex ones? More like my home router rather than the Huawei dongle type thing I have on the boat? I'm pretty sure there is no way to talk to that.

4 minutes ago, frahkn said:

So are these routers more complex ones? More like my home router rather than the Huawei dongle type thing I have on the boat? I'm pretty sure there is no way to talk to that.

Yep. 

ETA, You can communicate with some mifi thingies using a downloaded app as well as the Web interface. You can with my Huawei one anyway. 

Edited by rusty69

4 minutes ago, frahkn said:

These are actually very complicated ones that are really designed for industrial remote monitoring.   It's unlikely that most people would need a router with these remote configuration options, but @rusty69 got his cheap and @Dr Bob likes to read his batteries a bedtime story when he's in Singapore.

He would really like to take his pet LiFePOs with him on holiday, but they are a bit heavy for hand luggage ...

:giggles:

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, rusty69 said:

C'mon. Have you done it yet?

Well no! ...but I have looked at the destruction manual. Very impressive on what you can do with SMS messages. File it in 'must try it sometime soon'. Maybe something I might need to do by sms is to change the sim card over.....but I couldnt see that when I went through the link and the manual.

1 minute ago, Dr Bob said:

Well no! ...but I have looked at the destruction manual. Very impressive on what you can do with SMS messages. File it in 'must try it sometime soon'. Maybe something I might need to do by sms is to change the sim card over.....but I couldnt see that when I went through the link and the manual.

I think I did. You are not trying hard enough Dr Bob. I bet you didn't read that book I gave you for Christmas either. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

These are actually very complicated ones that are really designed for industrial remote monitoring.   It's unlikely that most people would need a router with these remote configuration options, but @rusty69 got his cheap and @Dr Bob likes to read his batteries a bedtime story when he's in Singapore.

He would really like to take his pet LiFePOs with him on holiday, but they are a bit heavy for hand luggage ...

:giggles:

.......but the real advantage on a narrowboat is that they attach to external antennas very well and give a great signal. I hardly use any of the functionality.

The sms stuff looks really interesting but not sure I would use much.

When I was a nipper getting up for school was a big problem for me, especially in the winter with ice on the inside of the bedroom window. Mum would bang on the ceiling benearh my room with the broom handle. I soon devised methods to temporarily satisfy her. One was to stick one leg out of bed and thump it around on the floor as if walking about, the second was to rig up a string and pulley arrangement from the lavatory chain to my bed which when pulled flushed the toilet. This was quickly discovered howevedr so I made a loud recording of it on my tape recorder.   These tactics I called ''Getting up noises''.

To add. I eventually put most ''getting up noises''  on the tape recorder, like, yawning, bed creaking, doors opening and closing as well as the lav chain. but I still had to thump about on the floor with a leg out of bed in the cold.

Edited by bizzard