Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
mark99

Wemyss Bay Station

Featured Posts

A couple of years back we went sailing in the Irish sea from Conwy and ended up on Bute. The trip back on the ferry to this station and then the train back to Glascow was a highlight of the trip. It's at least as spectacular in real life as in the photos.

MP.

• Happy 1

It's an extravaganza of a station and remarkably, was built in the 20th Century. I haven't been there, but I do own Simon Jenkins' book on 'Britain's Best Railway Stations', which has  photo of Wemyss on its front cover.

It is rather special and you can find some short videos if you search Weymss Station videos onGoogle. Channel 4 also featured it in one of their recent programmes about scenic Scottish Railways: episode 4 I think.

Howard

We were there in September 2019.  Five dry and sunny days.

SWMBO got me with my hands in pockets in the ticket hall and later the roof line from the ferry.

12-P1020670.JPG

13-P1020670a.JPG

• Greenie 1

In a completely different style, the most impressive (not in size) station I've been in was Toledo.  It's like catching a train at a catherdral.

Toledo station 2.jpg

Toledo station.png

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

1 hour ago, Grebe said:

We were there in September 2019.  Five dry and sunny days.

SWMBO got me with my hands in pockets in the ticket hall and later the roof line from the ferry.

12-P1020670.JPG

13-P1020670a.JPG

Excellent fish 'n chip shop in the village, also great butcher with lots of cheeses you won't find in Largs [where I once had a flat]

8 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Excellent fish 'n chip shop in the village, also great butcher with lots of cheeses you won't find in Largs [where I once had a flat]

You must give up train spotting, they're all boring now. 😂

10 minutes ago, bizzard said:

You must give up train spotting, they're all boring now. 😂

Ah, but the beauty is that you can spot ferries and passing ships instead!

Howard

On 19/01/2020 at 14:03, Athy said:

It's an extravaganza of a station and remarkably, was built in the 20th Century. I haven't been there, but I do own Simon Jenkins' book on 'Britain's Best Railway Stations', which has  photo of Wemyss on its front cover.

HOORAY!

'Railway' and not train stations (ugh)

4 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

HOORAY!

'Railway' and not train stations (ugh)

You know, it grates when I hear "train stations" too. I consider it an Americanism. But logically, it should be O.K. After all, we have "Bus Stations" and not "Road Stations".

The French do have road stations (Gares Routieres). But one never hears them refer to a railway station as anything but "La gare" or "La gare S.N.C.F."

Confusing, eh? I shall continue to use the term "railway station".