What is this textured paper-y stuff in my bilge?

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, David Schweizer said:

At least he had the good sense to remove the offensive word and replace it with an acceptable one, before you responded.

Regrettably, I didn't see what the offensive word was  so I can't comment on that, but regarding my post being self opiniated, I could use the argument that any view expressed on here by an individual is their own opinion and therefore self opinionated by definition, but of course I won't! Maybe it is a way of describing any view that differs from his own? Who knows, and really, who cares.:)

Howard

• Greenie 4

12 hours ago, TheMenagerieAfloat said:

So, had a peak at bilge today...

The bit by the engine is sort of cream shiny painted.

The rest is basically metal (spray foam comes down the sides but doesn't cover bottom) and it looks like the accessible bits of ballast are paving slabs which I'm fine with. Was puzzled though that much of the bilge (under ballast) appears to be lined with some kind of thick paper / 'non-woven fabric' sheets. Old boat had nothing like that... Any idea what it is/what it is for?

Left bits of phone cable in boat so will try to add picture wirelessly momentarily.

There is a wettish, but now drying, patch on a plank of wood the old leaky, now replaced, water pump used to sit on - the bow, where that is, has none of the paper/fabric stuff. There is also a damp patch under where someone over-flowed the shower tray (the whale gulper is apparently fine and does work so assume this was a 'not switching it on'/ 'shower wall/ tray not that well sealed' type accident rather than anything more exciting - the flooring in the head is water stained and the shower has quite swooshy options (rain thingy and hand held bit) so it is (hopefully) possible there is no other pipework leak or anything. That bit is on the paper-y stuff and where I peeled a little up the hull looks rusty underneath ?

Tucked a few spare tampons from the Lee San adventures under the edge of it and left dinette (which is usually over the top of it) disassembled to air it. Cat gravel in tights arriving tomorrow... But unsure what to do with the sheeting.

To give you a classic oblique internet answer, stop worrying about it and get on with your life, this is a non-problem. Whatever is there under the ballast, you sure are not going to remove the interior fit-out, lift the floors, remove the ballast, remove the unidentified paper stuff, lay something else, re-lay the ballast, refit the floors and re-build the interior are you? Or at least I hope not. 

But when you post a photo, peeps will prolly just recognise it as tell you what it is, and all the off topic shyte will fade away.....

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
Add a bit

1 hour ago, Murflynn said:

no humour allowed apparently ......................  must be sunday again.   :unsure:

Verily.

It is Sunday and I have been fraught today having to change accommodation from a resort we booked in good faith which turned out to be a hovel and miles away from where it was advertised to be.

Flack from my lady, rushing around to find somewhere to sleep, its getting close to Chinese New Year, heavy bookings. Problems with the lad in France, Brexit mission creep problems.

Better now, nice aircon cabana, heated outdoor pool, good restaurant.

Sense of humour was exhausted this morning, sorry fellows, be better after a good sleep.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

At least he had the good sense to remove the offensive word and replace it with an acceptable one, before you responded.

It wasn't actually him who edited the post.

5 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

Sense of humour was exhausted this morning, sorry fellows, be better after a good sleep.

Ok, fair enough. Take it easy.

Edited by blackrose

45 minutes ago, blackrose said:

It wasn't actually him who edited the post.

Yes I had already discovered that

3 hours ago, nicknorman said:

Yes it was modded out, rightly so.

3 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

Yes, I had not noticed that it was Mike who edited the post. 

1 hour ago, Boater Sam said:

Verily.

It is Sunday and I have been fraught today having to change accommodation from a resort we booked in good faith which turned out to be a hovel and miles away from where it was advertised to be.

Flack from my lady, rushing around to find somewhere to sleep, its getting close to Chinese New Year, heavy bookings. Problems with the lad in France, Brexit mission creep problems.

Better now, nice aircon cabana, heated outdoor pool, good restaurant.

Assuming that the apology was also aimed at me for the mystery offensive word it is appreciated, but if not, enjoy your holiday anyway and come back refreshed!:boat:

Howard

11 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

To give you a classic oblique internet answer, stop worrying about it and get on with your life, this is a non-problem. Whatever is there under the ballast, you sure are not going to remove the interior fit-out, lift the floors, remove the ballast, remove the unidentified paper stuff, lay something else, re-lay the ballast, refit the floors and re-build the interior are you? Or at least I hope not.

Ah, here we do the arguing bit - (more gently than above I hope tho!). I may exactly remove the stuff (depending on what it is)

1) where I can get to the soggy (hopefully drying as shower-soggy only, but who knows?) bits of it in my in-dinette inspection hatch

2) in the bow cabin where I'm removing and replacing the existing flooring (there is no fitted furniture and skirting pipe boxings unscrew for putting new floor under so it will be but one sheet of (whatever) away from entirely accessible once the existing vinyl is removed

3) under my shiny new more stern/galley/somewhere-ish inspection hatch-cum-wine-store I'm contemplating getting done at the same time. Thinking under fridge for sure and maybe under cooker too (cooker is single oven so one could 'inspect' without moving an appliance) but was also inspired by the 'under floor wine rack' ideas...)

Here we go - near to shower pump looking all fine and blue and other side of the little strut thing (closer to where they over flowed the shower) looking all brown and yucky. Hull is a bit rusty under the brown bit and I wondered about removing...

Will pick up fan heater from other boat at the weekend and give it a blast with that anyway...

DSC_3615.JPG

DSC_3616.JPG

Edited by TheMenagerieAfloat

13 minutes ago, TheMenagerieAfloat said:

Ah, here we do the arguing bit - (more gently than above I hope tho!). I may exactly remove the stuff (depending on what it is)

1) where I can get to the soggy (hopefully drying as shower-soggy only, but who knows?) bits of it in my in-dinette inspection hatch

2) in the bow cabin where I'm removing and replacing the existing flooring (there is no fitted furniture and skirting pipe boxings unscrew for putting new floor under so it will be but one sheet of (whatever) away from entirely accessible once the existing vinyl is removed

3) under my shiny new more stern/galley/somewhere-ish inspection hatch-cum-wine-store I'm contemplating getting done at the same time. Thinking under fridge for sure and maybe under cooker too (cooker is single oven so one could 'inspect' without moving an appliance) but was also inspired by the 'under floor wine rack' ideas...)

Oh no we don't.....

Whatever it is also comes in black - same stuff (dry in all places I can currently see) is under the bow cabin flooring I'm taking up. Both are white on the back (you can see a bit folded over in the first picture above)

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Oh no we don't.....

He's behind you!

Just now, TheMenagerieAfloat said:

He's behind you!

Oh no he isn't....

4 minutes ago, TheMenagerieAfloat said:

Here we go - near to shower pump looking all fine and blue and other side of the little strut thing (closer to where they over flowed the shower) looking all brown and yucky. Hull is a bit rusty under the brown bit and I wondered about removing...

Will pick up fan heater from other boat at the weekend and give it a blast with that anyway...

DSC_3615.JPG

DSC_3616.JPG

Oh I see.... THAT stuff! 

Yes deffly seen it before. No eye deer what it is.....

Hope that helps

It is more papery than that - less rubbery than the truck stuff and less plasticy than my (cheap camping) tarp.

Sadly no bits currently sufficiently exposed to read it.

It is white on the back and (apart from wet bits) look clean and like it was put in there new.

The nearest texture I can think of is the kind of 'non-woven fabric' they make cheap kids pop-up play tents out of... this kind of stuff. But slightly less flexible and with an integral white backing.

Possibly something could have been delivered in it? When more of the front cabin floor comes up I can have a look for more writing. Sounds like it isn't a standard build thing though? It would have served the anti-abrasion purpose for vibration tolerance but imagine would rip with a sliding paving slab.

I'm not sure, but a few years ago, I helped a friend put a roof on a large shed and we put a membrane on before laying on the felt.  Although it was grey and not blue, it had a similar woven finish and was about the thickness of wallpaper.

59 minutes ago, davem399 said:

I'm not sure, but a few years ago, I helped a friend put a roof on a large shed and we put a membrane on before laying on the felt.  Although it was grey and not blue, it had a similar woven finish and was about the thickness of wallpaper.

It is modern-ish sarking felt, in my guess.  Laid over the rafters, before the battens and tiles.  It is air and vapour permeable - and water resistant.

It might do a job in reducing abrasion, but not so sure about moisture, which will find its way through somehow and is then liable be trapped.

7 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

If your only worry is water retention,  ( medically curable now ) tear a bit off and try soaking it in water to see if it is capable of holding dampness.

Doesn't really matter whether the papery stuff holds dampness or not. If there is no air gap directly above the baseplate, then any water down there will remain for a long time. Putting the ballast on spacers will allow any free water to drain out and remaing dampness to dry.