AGM / mppt Compatibility

Featured Posts

Hello you wonderful people. I have recently bought a 305w solar panel and kit for my narrow boat,it has a epever xtra n series xds2 mppt charge controller . My 2 leisure batteries are gpl-31t lifeline AGM 105ah, are the batteries and controller compatible ?, I'm asking as AGM batteries are not specifically mentioned in the controller's instruction booklet . Thank you all.

Edited by tortuga guy
Spelling mistake

Thanks for your reply, does that then mean that I would need to set the parameters my self under the "users" setting and double the numbers seen as I've two leisure 12v batteries? 

Edited by tortuga guy
Additional text

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

Sealed probably wont have a high enough bulk /float charging voltage for the AGM battery, you may have to set the charging voltages manually if this is possible.

16 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Sealed probably wont have a high enough bulk /float charging voltage for the AGM battery, you may have to set the charging voltages manually if this is possible.

The lifeline manual states surprisingly low float voltages.  They are very close to the standard sealed config on the controller.

Manual settings are possible, but as the OP was asking if he should double the values as he has 2 batteries, my advice stands:

For those particular batteries on that particular controller, set it to sealed.

Edited by TheBiscuits
spellink

9 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

The lifeline manual states surprisingly low float voltages.  They are very close to the standard sealed config on the controller.

Manual settings are possible, but as the OP was asking if he should double the values as he has 2 batteries, my advice stands:

For those particular batteries on that particular controller, set it to sealed.

I have just realised that the temperatures in that table are Fahrenheit not Celsius so you are entirely correct!!

2 minutes ago, tortuga guy said:

Thank you for your replies , so if I was to go to "users" on the control panel and set it myself, and having two batteries do I need to multiply by two ?. Thank you for your time.

You will set the battery bank aH to 210 .

17 minutes ago, tortuga guy said:

Thank you for your replies , so if I was to go to "users" on the control panel and set it myself, and having two batteries do I need to multiply by two ?. Thank you for your time.

I am no expert, but this idea is confusing. Each battery has 6 cells, anyway,  but if your eg 2 x 105 amp hour [ah] batteries are in one "12 v bank" the controller does not see a 24 volt battery, or two 12v batteries.

Effectively, you have one 12 volt battery of 210 ah.

Edited by LadyG

But setting it to sealed isn't the correct setting , if I can set manually then surely it should be done that way , what I'm confused about it whether to double the numbers as I've two batteries 

Edited by tortuga guy
Spelling mistake

7 minutes ago, tortuga guy said:

But setting it to sealed isn't the correct setting , if I can set manually then surely it should be done that way , what I'm confused about it whether to double the numbers as I've two batteries 

Depends on whether your two batteries are connected in parallel (to still deliver nominal 12V) or in series to deliver nominal 24V. 

They are probably in parallel in which case the answer to your question is no.  Otherwise, yes.  

33 minutes ago, tortuga guy said:

This is all confusing me , should the bulk and float numbers be multiplied by two when setting parameters manually , as there are two batteries .........??

Leave it overnight and start again.

Your two batteries may be acting like one larger battery: ie two 12 105 amp hour batteries are equivalent to one 12 volt 210 ah battery.

If these batteries are wired together to form one battery bank they will they will both accept the incoming charge as though they are one battery, and they will discharge "together".

Here is a simple set up, 

At the moment I have four or five 12 volt batteries wired in parallel, these are charged every day with three 80 watt solar panels via a small, controller. This, as far as my controller is concerned is one 12v battery.

At the moment the alternator charges all these batteries as though they are one 12v battery,

The mains battery charger inputs charge as though there is one battery.

In future the starter battery will be charged separately from the leisure batteries.

The leisure batteries will have a 40 amp MPPT solar controller which will control the allocation of energy from the [new] 500 watt solar panels to the 12 volt leisure battery bank. These deep cycle batteries are wired together [ ie in parallel] to create one large 12 volt battery of 675 amp hour from four 135 amp hour batteries.

I will have one small smart battery charger wired permanently to the leisure battery bank, it can be left on in winter when I am on mains.

This is my understanding, anyway.

Edited by LadyG

You don't set voltage on the MPPT controller because it senses that when you connect it. There is no need to have the amp hour value set correctly as the percentage of charge read out is totally useless, because the controller has no idea of loads or other charging, and in most peoples experience is worse than a chocolate teapot. If you set to sealed the main difference is the monthly equalization is not done which should not be done on AGMs. So sealed ticks most boxes and will not damage the batteries.

10 hours ago, tortuga guy said:

Thank you Mike that's very useful and will double check 

Have you sorted out which way your two batteries are connected together yet? 

Do you need assistance with the difference between series and parallel connecting? 

Understanding the difference is, I would say, the very first step to take in really understanding your batteries and boat electricity. Along with understanding the difference between Volts and Amps. 

If you're not sure just say. Plenty here will be along to explain. Sometimes its easy for the very knowledgeable here to forget to explain the basics, and assume everyone knows. 

• Greenie 1

10 hours ago, Detling said:

You don't set voltage on the MPPT controller because it senses that when you connect it. There is no need to have the amp hour value set correctly as the percentage of charge read out is totally useless, because the controller has no idea of loads or other charging, and in most peoples experience is worse than a chocolate teapot. If you set to sealed the main difference is the monthly equalization is not done which should not be done on AGMs. So sealed ticks most boxes and will not damage the batteries.

Lifelines AGM's can be equalised, indeed they recommend it. Mine are now 12 years old, have been regularly equalised and still have around 50% of their badged capacity left.

https://lifelinebatteries.com/2015/10/can-i-equalize-agm-batteries/

9 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Lifelines AGM's can be equalised, indeed they recommend it. Mine are now 12 years old, have been regularly equalised and still have around 50% of their badged capacity left.

https://lifelinebatteries.com/2015/10/can-i-equalize-agm-batteries/

Yes they do and we will equalise them , really wasn't going to go for that "set it to sealed" when it can be done properly , I intend to get the most out of them expensive batteries , thank you very much for your input and link.

10 minutes ago, tortuga guy said:

Yes they do and we will equalise them , really wasn't going to go for that "set it to sealed" when it can be done properly , I intend to get the most out of them expensive batteries , thank you very much for your input and link.

Lifelines are unlike any other AGM battery. They  are excellent batteries and if looked after properly will have a long life.

Unfortunately they can be killed just as quickly as cheap batteries if you don't treat them properly.

Read and understand this post to get the best out of them.

Edited by cuthound
Spillung