Recommend me a new (decent) multimeter!

frangar

Featured Posts

Im in the market for a new digital multimeter and looking for decent recommendations.....Its been a while since I last purchased one!

Im needing it for general electrical (230v) work and boat/car stuff (12/24v). Id like decent accuracy at 12v to 2 decimal places.

Im not fussed about a clamp meter attachment as Ive got a good clamp meter already but sadly thats not great at DC voltage...only goes to 1 decimal place.

It also needs to be able to be calibrated....eg no cheap eBay specials...I don't see the point of test kit which you have no idea if its reading correctly

At the moment Im quite drawn to a Fluke 177...(£220)...Id like a Fluke 87V...(£450) but that's a bit too much to spend...so the accountant says!! However if anyone has other makes/models in the £150-£200 range then I'm open to suggestions

Edited to correct a model number!

Edited by frangar

I’m very happy with my Fluke 77 which you’ll sometimes find on eBay. I also have a 113 which has some features that make it better for mains stuff (low input impedance, true RMS readings etc) but you won’t go wrong with a 77 as an all-rounder. Whenever I’ve sent it off for calibration it’s needed no adjustment as far as I can tell, comparing before and after readings against a known reference. 

26 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I’m very happy with my Fluke 77 which you’ll sometimes find on eBay. I also have a 113 which has some features that make it better for mains stuff (low input impedance, true RMS readings etc) but you won’t go wrong with a 77 as an all-rounder. Whenever I’ve sent it off for calibration it’s needed no adjustment as far as I can tell, comparing before and after readings against a known reference. 

Not inexpensive though. I’m not surprised you’re happy with it.

Just now, WotEver said:

As I said, check out Ebay, they’re often on there. 

The trouble Id have with eBay is getting a proper VAT invoice so I can put it through the books....it would have to be very well priced to make eBay worthwhile.....the 77 IV does look a tasty bit of kit though!

51 minutes ago, frangar said:

The trouble Id have with eBay is getting a proper VAT invoice so I can put it through the books....it would have to be very well priced to make eBay worthwhile.....the 77 IV does look a tasty bit of kit though!

Yes, it’ll be a non-VAT sale through eBay but it’ll also be well under 20% off list (or should be, for 2nd hand). 

4 hours ago, frangar said:

but that's a bit too much to spend...so the accountant says!!

Ask him or her to work with Quickbooks in future!

Fluke anyday of the week. Mine are getting quite dated now. Fluke 75 multy meter, served me well for over 20 years and still going strong, and a Fluke 787 Processmeter, over engineered for my requirments now but when I was on the tools in a factory it was the best.

Both were expensive at the time a got them but I've had my money's worth times many.

7 minutes ago, AWETHEAYET said:

Ask him or her to work with Quickbooks in future!

When I say accountant I mean the financial controller AKA my other half who wants a reason why a £30 one from eBay won’t work!! I’ve almost convinced her a 177 is not too badly priced......

• Greenie 1

Sorry I didn't know you ment THE financial controller.

Depends how much insurance she has out on you, cheep could tell you a circuit is dead, I've had some "expriances" with cheep live line indicators in the past.

Seriously depends on what you want the meter to do and how much accracy you require and how much you will be using it. If said item is just for occasional testing of a battery bank and have I got power to the head lamp then go for a mid range price and treat The controller to a night out on the saving.

16 minutes ago, AWETHEAYET said:

Sorry I didn't know you ment THE financial controller.

Depends how much insurance she has out on you, cheep could tell you a circuit is dead, I've had some "expriances" with cheep live line indicators in the past.

Seriously depends on what you want the meter to do and how much accracy you require and how much you will be using it. If said item is just for occasional testing of a battery bank and have I got power to the head lamp then go for a mid range price and treat The controller to a night out on the saving.

I’m a audio visual tech/sound engineer for the day job so need something decent and reliable for testing kit & supply circuits..hence needing the calibration for insurance purposes just in case. I also want accurate low voltage capabilities for boat & auto electrical work. It’s a business expense so if I don’t spend it on a meter it will probably go to the tax man....there are limits though!

The OH works with me so she doesn’t want the paperwork that a cheap meter could cause.....

Don't know what a audio visual tech/sound engineer does but a production engineer works with plc's, invertors sensors etc. and this type of meter is a must. The ability to generate a current is esential for setting up controlled valves, flow meters etc. and yes it had to be calibrated by credited organisations to meet some standards BRC for example.

Some thing of this nature, newer of course would meet your needs

23 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Both great finds old love but Ebay no good to OP, her that needs to be obayed is calling the shots "Joking :) "

16 minutes ago, AWETHEAYET said:

Nice one Biscuits how you manage to get round the vat law thing?

Not sure what you mean.

That 77 IV meter is being sold by a VAT registered business, and they can provide a VAT invoice.  The quoted text is from the business seller's information at the bottom of the listing.

15 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Not sure what you mean.

That 77 IV meter is being sold by a VAT registered business, and they can provide a VAT invoice.  The quoted text is from the business seller's information at the bottom of the listing.

I'll say it again diverently so you don't think I'm against you. Well done Biscuit for providing a legal way of buying the meter

12 hours ago, Kudzucraft said:

Hard to beat FLUKE.  Just acquire a used T5-600 and while I have only used it a couple of times I love the shape. Fits in the pocket so well it have quickly replaced my square bodied FLUKE as my go too.

I got a used Fluke 75 III for 50 quid from eBay about 10 years ago. It's been very good. It looks not dissimilar to the Fluke 77 but I've no idea how it compares to other Fluke models?

This is brand new. Looks too cheap. Could it be a Chinese copy?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fluke-15B-Auto-Range-Digital-Multimeter-Voltage-Probe-Meter-With-TL75-Test-Lead/283619777985?hash=item42090e5dc1:g:78IAAOSwCmRa-U9O

Edited by blackrose

8 hours ago, AWETHEAYET said:

Well done Biscuit for providing a legal way of buying the meter

I don’t get this. There’s nothing illegal about buying something from a non VAT registered seller. You simply enter it into your accounts as a non-VAT purchase