For all those beginners wanting a cheap boat.

Boater Sam

Featured Posts

• 3 weeks later...
On 27/01/2020 at 11:13, Alan de Enfield said:

I'm sure it is, but even if it was found to be 'a big problem' Companies such as RealDiesels will offer a re-con exchange deal, or simply re-con yours. Buy it at the right price and even if it needs expert help it can still be a cheap boat with no blacking required, no pitting, & no corrosion.

http://www.realdiesels.co.uk/listerenginesales.html

If it was a bit closer to home I'd be tempted to go and have a look and put in a cheeky offer.

Sort out the problems get a BSSC and it could be a money-earner.

How much do you reckon will cost to fix the issues? The engine replacement alone will cost 2k ish, right?

1 minute ago, restlessnomad said:

How much do you reckon will cost to fix the issues? The engine replacement alone will cost 2k ish, right?

Would you normally replace an engine if you had a water leak ?

I have had similar sorts of claimed 'problems' and found them to be a weeping hose (where the jubilee clip has cut the hose) or similar simple fixes. Not everyone has a mechanical 'bent' .

I'd go and look., start the engine and then make a decision, the gas & plumbing cannot be much (its only pipe work and simple to replace)

You could say 'its taking advantage', but over the years I have bought cheap, fixed minor problems and sold at market prices - every boat, bar one, has made a handsome profit allowing me to have the boats I have today.

• Greenie 2

• 3 months later...
On 15/02/2020 at 15:46, Alan de Enfield said:

Would you normally replace an engine if you had a water leak ?

I have had similar sorts of claimed 'problems' and found them to be a weeping hose (where the jubilee clip has cut the hose) or similar simple fixes. Not everyone has a mechanical 'bent' .

I'd go and look., start the engine and then make a decision, the gas & plumbing cannot be much (its only pipe work and simple to replace)

You could say 'its taking advantage', but over the years I have bought cheap, fixed minor problems and sold at market prices - every boat, bar one, has made a handsome profit allowing me to have the boats I have today.

I wish I'd found this thread before buying her. Would have given me more bargaining power! ;)

But it was the exhaust pipe that rusted through. Replaced and she starts wonderfully. My excuse was I fell in love with the boat. So... I don't disagree with your other comments. I just have to take it on the chin, and have a lot of work to do!

14 minutes ago, Techy-Ben said:

I wish I'd found this thread before buying her. Would have given me more bargaining power! ;)

But it was the exhaust pipe that rusted through. Replaced and she starts wonderfully. My excuse was I fell in love with the boat. So... I don't disagree with your other comments. I just have to take it on the chin, and have a lot of work to do!

Congratulations - I reckon you got a good boat at a fair price.

I was seriously tempted myself, do the repairs and sell it on making a 'bob-or-two' in the process.

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Congratulations - I reckon you got a good boat at a fair price.

I was seriously tempted myself, do the repairs and sell it on making a 'bob-or-two' in the process.

Well. Who knows what I might find. But it's planned to be my boat to use, if the plans work out. If not... well, I now know where to come for advice! :)

If I get any big modifications done, I'll post them here for fun. If she polishes up with the least effort, then I'll just post experience and findings. The Enfield Z drive suppliers Chertsey Meads Marine have been really helpful, along with the Lister Petter manual. But super hard to find details on actual Dawncraft. Plus confusing as they seem to have done a 30 foot and a 32 foot model, so not sure what the differences were. This one is the 30 foot as far as I can see. Or do I count the rudder as the extra 2 foot? ;)

On 18/01/2020 at 19:14, W+T said:

They dont usually have Antifoul applied on canals and can be pressure washed down every few years if needs be, yes Anodes can be fitted.

And yep, a bit pricey to say it needs a bit of work and no BSS

GRP boats do still have antifoul paint when on canals.  The bottom is always painted with something. 

Granted with older cruisers the period between lift outs is often increased from every couple of years to once in a blue moon but this is usually cost related. It can cost as much as some boats are worth to get them lifted out and put ashore for maintenance work! 

11 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

GRP boats do still have antifoul paint when on canals.  The bottom is always painted with something. 

Granted with older cruisers the period between lift outs is often increased from every couple of years to once in a blue moon but this is usually cost related. It can cost as much as some boats are worth to get them lifted out and put ashore for maintenance work! 

You could always see the ones that had been 'done' and those that hadn't.

The non anti-fouled ones usually had a huge 'beard' of zebra mussels hanging off them.

23 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You could always see the ones that had been 'done' and those that hadn't.

The non anti-fouled ones usually had a huge 'beard' of zebra mussels hanging off them.

You can always tell when Burton Waters have lifted an older boat out that hasn't been out for a long while. There are mussels strewn all over the slipway. Makes you wonder how some of them even move!

• 2 months later...

I've yet to do the windows and roof... but this is it so far:

jbone.jpg.918e6966a2fe3dc157175165098be868.jpg

Unrecognisable under the waterline now. But don't ask how it's gone, or what needed to be done. The less said the better. ;)

But I'm pleased with how it's turning out so far. Hoping she is still afloat when I next go see her! I may post a new thread once I start on the roof, and if I do any modifications, as I like the idea of a solid roof at the rear or the front.

jbtwo.jpg.0fd471f2d2bf2bb4063124b736e30893.jpg

• Greenie 3

1 hour ago, soforene said:

Phwoarr!

Look at the size of the portholes on that !! ?

Hahahahha! Yeah, most of the Dawncraft have square windows, and this one, at least on the sides, has had a new set of windows as they moved things around. I might get rid of one side porthole each side, as one is in a cupboard, so not needed IMO. But on the front, it kinda gives her a unique feature. ;)

Those little triangle windows need to go though IMO and are a complete waste. :P