For all those beginners wanting a cheap boat.

Boater Sam

Featured Posts

Frequently there are beginners wanting a cheap boat.

Many look at the disaster projects that are always hanging around, mostly money pits that an experienced boater would never look at.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Narrowboat-Dawncraft-Highbridge-30ft-fibreglass/114062354252?hash=item1a8ea5674c:g:MWAAAOSwFPpdJ6Nk

Now, here is what looks like a good solution, no rust, no welding, no blacking, needs cosmetic work and a bit of TLC.

Boats of known good pedigree.

Must be quick, ends today.

1 hour ago, Boater Sam said:

Frequently there are beginners wanting a cheap boat.

Many look at the disaster projects that are always hanging around, mostly money pits that an experienced boater would never look at.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Narrowboat-Dawncraft-Highbridge-30ft-fibreglass/114062354252?hash=item1a8ea5674c:g:MWAAAOSwFPpdJ6Nk

Now, here is what looks like a good solution, no rust, no welding, no blacking, needs cosmetic work and a bit of TLC.

Boats of known good pedigree.

I posted that about a week or two ago under a similar title.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, MHS said:

From the listing:

“Engine has water leak which is easily repairable.“

So why not repair it before selling it?

The guy seems to sell model tractors and cars, perhaps it to big for him?

Looks like a senior couple on board, perhaps he can't be bothered, the boats been unused for 3 years.

12 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

The guy seems to sell model tractors and cars, perhaps it to big for him?

Mrs Rusty left me due to my obsession with tractors, she sent me a John Deere letter.

1 hour ago, Boater Sam said:

Probably be back on tomorrow.

Act in haste repent at leisure

• Haha 2

GRP boats may not need 'blacking' but they do usually have antifoul paint . They usually have anodes. Therefore lifting out every couple of years is not an unusual routine.

BSS expires in March and sound like its not going to pass that without work.

I would have thought some better pictures would help . However it looks to me like  £10k is a bit optimistic.

9 hours ago, MartynG said:

GRP boats may not need 'blacking' but they do usually have antifoul paint . They usually have anodes. Therefore lifting out every couple of years is not an unusual routine.

BSS expires in March and sound like its not going to pass that without work.

I would have thought some better pictures would help . However it looks to me like  £10k is a bit optimistic.

They dont usually have Antifoul applied on canals and can be pressure washed down every few years if needs be, yes Anodes can be fitted.

And yep, a bit pricey to say it needs a bit of work and no BSS

This would of been better if the cockpit wasnt covered, just my liking for CC boats. 

https://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/Cabin-cruiser-for-sale/norman-cruisers-32ft-norman-cruiser/268994#

Mmm better

https://boats-from.co.uk/not-specified/norman-32ft-centre-cockpit-river-cruiser-canal-boat-100577

Just fed up now lol 

Edited by W+T

On the other thread, a new member seems to have got himself back on the cut with a Highbridge for half the price of this one. 

ETA: boats, cheap and decent are out there. If anyone wanted to get on the canal this would have been a bargain. £840 for a Mayland with 15hp Mariner outboard. FFS, the engine is worth the money on its own

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mayland-cabin-cruiser-powered-by-a-Mariner-15hp-outboard-engine/392630437697

Edited by BilgePump

3 hours ago, peterboat said:

But is it only half the boat? This one looks tidy and is on the water

No, he's got an absolute steal, and if I didn't already own one and have 0 room for another the I would have bought it in a flash. They're incredible boats that just don't do all the things a plaggy boat "should" like crack when you hit bits of RSJ in the cut, be poorly insulated or impossible fit a stove to. 

8 hours ago, harrybsmith said:

No, he's got an absolute steal, and if I didn't already own one and have 0 room for another the I would have bought it in a flash. They're incredible boats that just don't do all the things a plaggy boat "should" like crack when you hit bits of RSJ in the cut, be poorly insulated or impossible fit a stove to. 

Don't get me wrong I have 2 boats already and would have bought the first one but my preference is for the second one even though its more expensive,  I think they are great wee boats 

Its come back on Ebay again (been a few times now) - but this time a grand cheaper: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114074234632?ul_noapp=true - definitely tidier inside than the one I bought, but generally a bit unsure on what the boat is as Highbridge didn't make a 30' as far as I know, but it does look a little shorter than the Crusader but not as short as the 27' model.

Edited by unset

3 hours ago, unset said:

Its come back on Ebay again (been a few times now) - but this time a grand cheaper: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114074234632?ul_noapp=true - definitely tidier inside than the one I bought, but generally a bit unsure on what the boat is as Highbridge didn't make a 30' as far as I know, but it does look a little shorter than the Crusader but not as short as the 27' model.

Information on the Highbridge Crusader is a little scanty on the web.

Dawncraft did make a 30 footer which looks like the boat advertised,which was called the Dawncraft Rover.

Could it be one of these?

Anyway, it's far too dear in my opinion,I think about half the opening bid.

Personally I wouldn't want it with a Z drive. (troublesome, expensive things)

Done a little internet digging and found this boat for sale on another site at £17-500 !

I think someone is trying it on!

Edited by Mad Harold

38 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

30ft Springer "Mollie" 

"

30 ft Springer cruiser stern Narrowboat Late 80s project Hull appears to be in very good condition wood burner .Has had flood damage due rain water getting in through back doors but fully fitted inside and with a lot of cleaning and tlc will recover I’m sure fridge untested and galley fitted bmc engine non runner but I have been told did run up until it was left unattended great project could be a fantastic boat mooring available in Cheshire viewing can be arranged 

"

My bold from the description.  I always like the apolloduck footer ... 

"Caveat Emptor. Verify before you buy."

40 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

"

30 ft Springer cruiser stern Narrowboat Late 80s project Hull appears to be in very good condition wood burner .Has had flood damage due rain water getting in through back doors but fully fitted inside and with a lot of cleaning and tlc will recover I’m sure fridge untested and galley fitted bmc engine non runner but I have been told did run up until it was left unattended great project could be a fantastic boat mooring available in Cheshire viewing can be arranged 

"

My bold from the description.  I always like the apolloduck footer ... 

"Caveat Emptor. Verify before you buy."

If it was in good nick with a BSSC the price would be £20k....

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

If it was in good nick with a BSSC the price would be £20k....

I agree.  It's a very carefully worded advert ... do you think they are in the trade?

I don't like the idea that a hopeful buyer with £6,000 in savings will decide it's the way forward for future housing needs.  In the big smoke.

I'll bet money that's what happens though.

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

I agree.  It's a very carefully worded advert ... do you think they are in the trade?

I don't like the idea that a hopeful buyer with £6,000 in savings will decide it's the way forward for future housing needs.  In the big smoke.

I'll bet money that's what happens though.

Yes i agree, prolly get sold to a hopeful first time buyer, wet behind the ears.

I'd have happily bought it when I was 22, fully realising what I was getting.