Cheap Narrow boat, Big project

Alpha95

Featured Posts

Ok, I accept I am wrong.  Maybe things have tightened up a bit these days.

However we still see plenty of comments suggesting people don’t really take the RCD that seriously, many not seeing the need for it at all.

15 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

For you to be saying that, I suspect you've never actually read the RCD and all the normative documents referred to within.

Yes the BSS is pretty straightforward but the RCD brings almost bewildering or overwhelming levels of complexity and bureaucracy to DIY building of a boat.

The boat in question is not new, the post is not about a new boat so RCD has nothing to do with this post. I would have thought for someone who wastes their entire life on here you would have known that? (Post count noted).

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The regs are by no means 'all on line', it costs £000's to get the regs,

You could view them at Manchester library but apparently that option is now no longer available.

It may be 'only' a canal boat but to the EU it is a boat the same as any other category D recreational craft.

The gas, electrical and safety requirements are as applicable to a 'sewer tube' as they are to my category 'A' boat, other areas are more relaxed for cat D.

And another one! The boat in question is not new, it is not subject to RCD requirements. It will require BSS which is available online. 

28 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

Is it not just Boat Safety Certificate? BSC?

BSS boat safety scheme. BSC? BSSC? IDFK??

17 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The regs are by no means 'all on line', it costs £000's to get the regs,

You could view them at Manchester library but apparently that option is now no longer available.

It may be 'only' a canal boat but to the EU it is a boat the same as any other category D recreational craft.

The gas, electrical and safety requirements are as applicable to a 'sewer tube' as they are to my category 'A' boat, other areas are more relaxed for cat D.

And another one! The boat in question is not new, it is not subject to RCD requirements. It will require BSS which is available online. 

49 minutes ago, Narrowboat Nimrod said:

BSS boat safety scheme. BSC? BSSC? IDFK??

N do IFK!

Damn Americans started this nimonic balderdash, its confusing.

Consensus required

What are we calling it?

1 BSS

2 BSC

3 A damn bureaucratic nuisance.

5 hours ago, Narrowboat Nimrod said:

Do keep up at the back and read the whole thread before jumping in with fatuous comments.

If you wish to be pedantic, it will require a BSSC (Boat Safety Scheme Certificate)

You will note that in post #20 I specifically said that the RCD did not apply to this boat.

The discussion started when it was incorrectly stated that all the specifications are on line, then further confused when it was said that 'all pleasure craft' can self certify.

The subsequent posts on the RCD were simply correcting the misinformation.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

22 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The discussion started when it was incorrectly stated that all the specifications are on line, then further confused when it was said that 'all pleasure craft' can self certify.

Quite. It's pointless trying to argue detailed points with idiots who CBA to read the thread.

But to labour one of the points, it was implied earlier that the right to self-certify for RCD means one can just sign the declaration forms without actually ensuring the boat physically complies. This is fraud, not compliance with RCD!

• Greenie 1

38 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Do keep up at the back and read the whole thread before jumping in with fatuous comments.

If you wish to be pedantic, it will require a BSSC (Boat Safety Scheme Certificate)

You will note that in post #20 I specifically said that the RCD did not apply to this boat.

The subsequent posts on the RCD were simply correcting the misinformation.

You should note my original post predated all the RCD bullshit being discussed. And that is the post you chose to comment on.

11 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Quite. It's pointless trying to argue detailed points with idiots who CBA to read the thread.

But to labour one of the points, it was implied earlier that the right to self-certify for RCD means one can just sign the declaration forms without actually ensuring the boat physically complies. This is fraud, not compliance with RCD!

As stated above my post predated your RCD/OCD bullshit fest. You chose to presume you know what I meant, your mistake. 5759 and counting.

4 minutes ago, Narrowboat Nimrod said:

If you could quote the bit where I inferred I had read the RCD that would be great. 

You must have read then because otherwise you wouldn't know that they 'are not complicated'.

Aside from the RCD documentation itself you are regularly cross- referred to :

178 Other EU Documents

74 ISO Specifications (probably averaging over 100 pages each)

97 Documents covering "Recommendations & Legal Interpretation".

The RCD itself is complicated enough.

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You must have read then because otherwise you wouldn't know that they 'are not complicated'.

Aside from the RCD documentation itself you are regularly cross- referred to :

178 Other EU Documents

74 ISO Specifications (probably averaging over 100 pages each)

97 Documents covering "Recommendations & Legal Interpretation".

The RCD itself is complicated enough.

I am not seeing the post in which I claim to have read them? In my original post I offered the OP best wishes and support in his project and said the regulations were not that onerous. This thread is about his boat, an old boat. You pair of clowns have decided to round on me waving your RCD paperwork and quoting rules and regulations that bear no relation to the thread. You don't live in Brussels by any chance? 

2 minutes ago, Narrowboat Nimrod said:

I am not seeing the post in which I claim to have read them? In my original post I offered the OP best wishes and support in his project and said the regulations were not that onerous. This thread is about his boat, an old boat. You pair of clowns have decided to round on me waving your RCD paperwork and quoting rules and regulations that bear no relation to the thread. You don't live in Brussels by any chance? 

Maybe you have a problem reading, but please try again to read post 20 which 'pre-dates' any of your posts.

On 17/01/2020 at 13:29, CompairHolman said:

Most of the advice on this forum is by people that have no idea what they're talking about but just feel the need to comment,  so take it with a pinch of salt. 

Hope  the OP takes your advice and ignores you.

:) 

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Narrowboat Nimrod said:

I have read post 20 it refers to the RCD, not relevant to my post or the OPs boat. Hows the weather in Brussels?

Yes, Alan refers to the RCD in post 20 by stating that it’s not relevant to the OP. Why do you have difficulty in understanding that? And what has Brussels got to do with anything? The BSS are based in Milton Keynes. 

• Happy 1

35 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Yes, Alan refers to the RCD in post 20 by stating that it’s not relevant to the OP. Why do you have difficulty in understanding that? And what has Brussels got to do with anything? The BSS are based in Milton Keynes. 

Everything is Brussels fault didn't you know.