30ft layout ideas

NB DW

Featured Posts

Hi.  I currently have a 25 Aintree Beetle and looking to upsize.  I'm torn between going for an older 40-45ft or a new 30ft.  Aintree's 30ft Beetle is £41k and I'm looking for layout ideas with a modern finish.  Unfortunately there's not much I've found searching through used boats or Google images that's helping.

So, any pictures of various 30ft layouts, regardless of hull type, would be appreciated.

Thanks..

Live aboard or leisure? We’ve got a 30ft which is okay for a couple of weeks, we are used to basic camping and it’s luxurious. However, living aboard full time  would be a massive push with the space  available, even for one person. We aren’t in a fully serviced marina, so don’t know if that would make a difference. 

• Greenie 2

Likely liveaboard.  And with mains hook at current mooring.  There'd only be me on board and I hate clutter. 

Another Aintree Beetle owner who has a 30ft has shared photos of theirs.  They liveaboard too.  Looks a great layout but don't want to share their photos without their permission.

If I lived aboard I would go for 40-45ft. I’ve not seen the 30ft layout you have seen so it might work for you. Our 30ft is a trad stern so no wasted space. Bedroom was above the engine but that’s not practical all the time. We’ve only a domino stove, no oven. 12v coolbox  rather than fridge. Toilet but no shower. But nice living space. Very limited storage. As campers it is luxury but as full time living it would be very difficult even for one person. I could imagine some great fitouts might work but just not ours. If I had to live onboard full time the extra 10-15ft would make a huge difference.

F58B5988-42FC-455D-9A28-BC6358C5B1FD.jpeg

3219B6BD-E3DA-415B-947F-17D0B0DF0987.jpeg

image.jpeg

C1DC0305-7B27-430E-974F-784E143C4055.jpeg

Can't get to mine for photos but it's a 33ft and has 4 berths in two doubles, both need to be made up and is a real pain even for a few weeks holiday.  Maybe you can handle that a bit more than me but a permanent bed is an absolute must have for next boat.

I have a 57ft trad boat which is longer than I really need, based on the fact that it is not a "perfect" layout for me , I intended to identify a better 54 footer, but circumstances conspired against me, so I am busy upgrading this boat, but I know it is probably not my last boat, it's just not "boaty enough" !

17 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I have a 57ft trad boat which is longer than I really need, based on the fact that it is not a "perfect" layout for me , I intended to identify a better 54 footer, but circumstances conspired against me, so I am busy upgrading this boat, but I know it is probably not my last boat, it's just not "boaty enough" !

It's never likely to be either if it is a narrowboat.:apple:

..............They are nowt but floating skips.

• Happy 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Ianws said:

If I lived aboard I would go for 40-45ft. I’ve not seen the 30ft layout you have seen so it might work for you. Our 30ft is a trad stern so no wasted space. Bedroom was above the engine but that’s not practical all the time. We’ve only a domino stove, no oven. 12v coolbox  rather than fridge. Toilet but no shower. But nice living space. Very limited storage. As campers it is luxury but as full time living it would be very difficult even for one person. I could imagine some great fitouts might work but just not ours. If I had to live onboard full time the extra 10-15ft would make a huge difference.

F58B5988-42FC-455D-9A28-BC6358C5B1FD.jpeg

3219B6BD-E3DA-415B-947F-17D0B0DF0987.jpeg

image.jpeg

C1DC0305-7B27-430E-974F-784E143C4055.jpeg

4 hours ago, wandering snail said:

Here's what OH did with a 30fter. The headboard moved forward to change the sofa to a fixed double bed.

020 (3).JPG

030 (4).JPG

042 (2).JPG

I have no experience of smaller boats but these two are impressive, very nice. 

• Happy 1

Our boat picture doesn’t show any table. We’ve got a folding bistro table and chair that you can leave up, fold away, or use for a picnic. We tend to leave ours out all the time, opposite the hob area. We went for a more expensive brand as used in French bistros and it is nice to live with and hard wearing. We only use one chair as the other person can sit on the bench you can see in the photo.

As you will see from our boat and the other pictures of the other boat, what’s lacking is storage. We have space under the hob area and under the seating but not much else inside. It’s okay for a week or two but I would struggle if living aboard. Also limited space for washing and drying clothes. Again okay for a short period but living onboard all the time would be difficult. It would be good to hear from other people who may have made it work or found that a larger boat was a necessity.