Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
jacko264

Windlass belt holder

Featured Posts

Hi all

Has anyone used a hammer holder that slips on a belt  to carry a windlass or is the hole where a hammer shaft goes through  to big for a windlass

thanks 

graham

2 hours ago, jacko264 said:

Hi all

Has anyone used a hammer holder that slips on a belt  to carry a windlass or is the hole where a hammer shaft goes through  to big for a windlass

thanks 

graham

In fifty years, I never ever thought of carrying a windlass in my belt or in a belt holeder. I did what all the working boatmen did, either held it in my hand or over my shoulder with the handle tucked inside my jacket, which in the winter kept it warm and stopped it sticking in my hand during frosty weather.

If you want a loop type holder to hang a windlass from your belt, why not buy the item specifically marketed for the purpose?  They are freely available, and not expensive.

However be aware that whatever you use, if the windlass head is retained just below belt height, and the L shaped handle swing freely below that, it will bash into things, and that may include taking paint of your boat, (or alternatively minor bruising to your thighs or upper legs).

I'm not a fan, though my son uses one, (but he seldom puts the paint back!...)

Edited by alan_fincher

2 hours ago, jacko264 said:

Hi all

thanks 

graham

Obviously you should use whatever you want to use. But be aware that it is often the case that people who use such devices are plonkers, and you risk being tarred with that brush.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

In fifty years, I never ever thought of carrying a windlass in my belt or in a belt holder. I did what all the working boatmen did, either held it in my hand or over my shoulder with the handle tucked inside my jacket, which in the winter kept it warm and stopped it sticking in my hand during frosty weather.

Not very clear as it is a still from "Painted Boats."

Windlass2.JPG

Get one of these scaffold frogs and you could carry a handcuff key as well. :captain:

• SCAFFOLDING TOOL BELT AND SPANNER FROG HOLDERS
Edited by Ray T

6 minutes ago, Ray T said:

Not very clear as it is a still from "Painted Boats.

Windlass2.JPG

I have the Video and DVD of "Painted Boats", I had not remembered the image you have posted. I must watch it again. Interesting to see Stoke Bruerne Museum when it was still a Warehouse.

The trouble with having your windlass attached to your belt is that if you're using your windlass and it ends up in a lock your trousers fall down...

1 hour ago, David Schweizer said:

either held it in my hand or over my shoulder with the handle tucked inside my jacket

Yep.  That's how those in the know do it.

2 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

If you want a loop type holder to hang a windlass from your belt, why not buy the item specifically marketed for the purpose?  They are freely available, and not expensive.

However be aware that whatever you use, if the windlass head is retained just below belt height, and the L shaped handle swing freely below that, it will bash into things, and that may include taking paint of your boat, (or alternatively minor bruising to your thighs or upper legs).

I use a large Karabiner Clip on my belt but as Alan points out it can clout things a bit as you pass. Take it out when you return to the helm.

9 hours ago, jacko264 said:

Hi all

thanks 

graham

Yes I have done and apart from being a plonker it's fine. If you're single handed and having to use lock ladders then having something secure to hold the windlass keeps both hands free so it's safer. The alternative is to throw the windlass up onto the lock side when going uphill. I narrowly missed someone's dog once and they weren't too impressed. Imagine if you hit a child with a windlass! Going downhill you really don't want anything in your hands when using the ladder and you can't throw a windlass back onto the boat.

5 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Yep.  That's how those in the know do it.

Not those in the know who are single handed.

7 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

In fifty years, I never ever thought of carrying a windlass in my belt or in a belt holeder. I did what all the working boatmen did, either held it in my hand or over my shoulder with the handle tucked inside my jacket, which in the winter kept it warm and stopped it sticking in my hand during frosty weather.

Most working boatmen weren't single handed. I've used lock ladders while holding a windlass but it isn't very safe, you want both hands free. Tucking the handle of a windlass under one's jacket while balancing it on your shoulder doesn't sound particularly secure either. Fine for stepping on an off a boat with rope in hand but I wouldn't fancy doing that while negotiating a lock ladder. 

Edited by blackrose

Mine goes in the front of my belt without any extra equipment. No worries it is 100% secure there but it is a fairly small single socket hand forged lock key so not at all bulky. I'm also rather slim which probably helps. Wouldn't fancy a double head carried like that. A Dunton double single socket is ok though if a bit bulky. 

Back of belt is quite dangerous if you slip and land on it. Someone told me you could receive very significant injuries but I don't know how true that is. 

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, blackrose said:

Most working boatmen weren't single handed. I've used lock ladders while holding a windlass but it isn't very safe, you want both hands free. Tucking the handle of a windlass under one's jacket while balancing it on your shoulder doesn't sound particularly secure either. Fine for stepping on an off a boat with rope in hand but I wouldn't fancy doing that while negotiating a lock ladder. 

I find tucking the handle under any clothing over your shoulder is fine...it’s quite secure when using a lock ladder...the only time I’ve found it might fall out is when jumping down onto the roof of the boat...then I just hold it in place with a spare hand. 

It’s by far the most comfortable way to carry a windlass I think. 

3 hours ago, blackrose said:

Yes I have done and apart from being a plonker it's fine. If you're single handed and having to use lock ladders then having something secure to hold the windlass keeps both hands free so it's safer. The alternative is to throw the windlass up onto the lock side when going uphill. I narrowly missed someone's dog once and they weren't too impressed. Imagine if you hit a child with a windlass! Going downhill you really don't want anything in your hands when using the ladder and you can't throw a windlass back onto the boat.

Not those in the know who are single handed.

Precisely. I used to use the holster type but found it swung about too much and bashed things (including the boat) so now I just use a belt and stuff the windlass behind it at my waistline. This may not work with a somewhat expanded waistline though.

I have a purpose made holster and handcuff key holder that attaches to my belt.

You need both hands free for lock ladders and for crossing lock gates.

The windlass does tend to bang into the cabin side when you are on the gunwale,unless you slide the belt around so that it hangs over your backside.

4 hours ago, blackrose said:

I don't know whether you have ever tried it, but I have done a lot of single handed boating and never found having the windlass tucked into my jacket an impediment or insecure, far better than having the windlass swinging about and possibly catching in the ladder. Like magnetman. I only ever used a fairly small forged single headed windlass, and would not try tucking one of those cumbersome double headed affairs into my jacket.

4 hours ago, blackrose said:

One thing also to consider is that working boatmen seldom had access to the lock adders that many of us now use to get onto and off of boats in locks.  It often surprises people who have not boated for many decades to be told that back in working boatmen days there were no ladders in the vast majority of canal locks that have acquired them after regular long distance narrow boat carrying ended.  If you study old pictures you will see that if the steerer needed to be off the boat when going uphill, they regularly got off at the boat apron, leaving the boat to enter alone, often drawing the upper gate paddles to slow its progress before the bottom gates could be swung shut.   It is also not unusual in old films to see them climbing the bottom lock gates, not something I would try on the slime covered gates of today, (although it is not unknown for my son to do it).

As to the windlass in the collar thing, it is not something I have ever perfected, and frankly I think it only works well on cold days if you are coated or jacketed.  In summer in a T shirt I think I'd quickly lose a few windlasses.

In the 1970s when windlasses usually were quite short throw, only had one eye, and were well balanced, I always used in my belt at the back, but modern 2-eyed windlasses, which are not balanced are far easier to lose, (and often not magnetic if you do put an expensive one in).

I'm not sure there is a perfect solution!

15 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

As to the windlass in the collar thing, it is not something I have ever perfected, and frankly I think it only works well on cold days if you are coated or jacketed.  In summer in a T shirt I think I'd quickly lose a few windlasses.

In the 1970s when windlasses usually were quite short throw, only had one eye, and were well balanced, I always used in my belt at the back, but modern 2-eyed windlasses, which are not balanced are far easier to lose, (and often not magnetic if you do put an expensive one in).

I'm not sure there is a perfect solution!

I’ve not lost my Dunton Double yet in 20 plus years of tucking under whatever I’m wearing at the time including T shirts!...and I don’t wear “tight” clothes by any means...maybe the alloy sticks to skin better than steel!! 

19 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Hi can anyone give me a clue where I can get a purpose made loop holder from as I have looked on ebay etc

i need it for the wife 

last year when she though the windlass on the floor it landed  in a pile of dog poo so it's her who wants one 

also it gives her two free hands when going over lock gates 

thankyou for the info so far

graham

19 hours ago, Ray T said:

could carry a handcuff key as well.

I put my paracord skills to work and made by own belt holder for the handcuff key...

354E192A-0AE4-483F-B18B-0D3E97B8F148.jpeg

• Greenie 1