Boating above Rutherglen

Martin@75

Featured Posts

Has anybody done the trip from Bowling Basin up the R Clyde through Glasgow and the Glasgow Half Tide gate (similar to Richmond on Thames but no side lock) and up to the wharfs at Rutherglen.
How much further than Rutherglen Bridge can one go with 2’-6” draft?

I understand 70ft Ex working boats go up each year but I can’t find any guides.

Unusually this navigation is not given on the CanalPlan site.

Peel Ports map only go’s up to Broomielaw Pontoon.

We have done it, but at night and only for a couple of hours, so as to get back on the same tide. The barrier is only opened,  apart fom partial opening to control water levels, at high spring tides and sometimes not even then. For it to be opened to boat traffic, the water level has to be above the lowered position of the barrier, which is under the control of Glasgow Council who like the river above it to stay full. (One of the gates failed partially open in 2017, which resulted in some damage to river banks due to subsidence)

Best time is equinoctal spring tides when it's pretty well guaranteed to be open for a couple of hours at the top of the tide.

It is traditional for the barrier keeper to lower a basket on a rope for an offering of bottles or tinnies :cheers:

2 hours ago, Martin@75 said:

Has anybody done the trip from Bowling Basin up the R Clyde through Glasgow and the Glasgow Half Tide gate (similar to Richmond on Thames but no side lock) and up to the wharfs at Rutherglen.

I have never heard of 70 foot working boats going up there and I think it is a bit doubtful as I don't think there are any 70 foot boats, working or not, up here. Google maps is the best (probably only) guide .

haggis

On 16/01/2020 at 14:36, Martin@75 said:

Feel free to add it - if you have any information