Strange noise

Kendorr

Featured Posts

Now, it's hard to describe a noise, but here goes. Every so often I hear a single noise which is a bit like the sound you would get of you were to whack the end of a metal drain pipe. Best I can do is to say it comes from the starboard side of the boat and is about half way between the bow and stern - 40' boat.

There's nothing at the water line although my shower room sink is in the vicinity of where the sound comes from.

I'm not concerned about it, just wonder if anyone else has come across anything similar? 

Thanks, Kevin

15 minutes ago, Kendorr said:

Now, it's hard to describe a noise, but here goes. Every so often I hear a single noise which is a bit like the sound you would get of you were to whack the end of a metal drain pipe. Best I can do is to say it comes from the starboard side of the boat and is about half way between the bow and stern - 40' boat.

There's nothing at the water line although my shower room sink is in the vicinity of where the sound comes from.

I'm not concerned about it, just wonder if anyone else has come across anything similar? 

Thanks, Kevin

Stopped or moving? Sunny side of the boat?

Panting steel panel?

Moored up in the marina

11 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

Stopped or moving? Sunny side of the boat?

Panting steel panel?

although being a solo boater, I've no idea if the sound happens when moving.

Doesn't matter which way I'm facing.

Not sure what you mean by 'panting steel panel', although boat was a sailaway launched June 2018.

Kevin

20 minutes ago, waterdog said:

Our boat "bangs" when filling the water tank, the second bang tells us the tank is full.

Then it makes a single less pronounced bang when the water level drops to a certain level.

same here, ours bangs are really loud (if that's not too much information?!!)

Edited by robtheplod

31 minutes ago, waterdog said:

Our boat "bangs" when filling the water tank

Could be to do with the water tank, it has that sort of sound, but mine makes it when I'm doing nothing!!

21 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

A panting panel is one that changes shape subtly from convex to concave or vice versa when heat from the sun warms it up.

Thanks, don't think it's to do with that, it's been doing it ever since boat was launched, so 18 months and at all times of the year.

Just now, BWM said:

Is the boat moving from side to side when it happens? It could be something attached to the pontoon or an underwater object. 

It has been happening all the time, including when out cruising - it certainly isn't a rubbing or scraping sound.

36 minutes ago, waterdog said:

Our boat "bangs" when filling the water tank, the second bang tells us the tank is full.

Then it makes a single less pronounced bang when the water level drops to a certain level.

One upmanship here, I get 3 bangs when it's near the top. 

I also get a bang when its almost empty, which is a good reminder.?

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Kendorr said:

Thanks, Kevin

Is it windy, waves hitting the hull can make some bloody odd noises sometimes 

1 hour ago, Boater Sam said:

A panting panel is one that changes shape subtly from convex to concave or vice versa when heat from the sun warms it up.

When we first went into ruffers on HMS Sheffield there were bulkheads ‘flexing’ in the forward superstructure. Later of the Type 42 destroyers (batch 3) there had a bit of strengthening at 1 deck level. Design fault?

Back in topic, we get all sorts bumps and bangs during temperature changes. The water tank behaves  as described above.

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

When we first went into ruffers on HMS Sheffield there were bulkheads ‘flexing’ in the forward superstructure. Later of the Type 42 destroyers (batch 3) there had a bit of strengthening at 1 deck level. Design fault?

Back in topic, we get all sorts bumps and bangs during temperature changes. The water tank behaves  as described above.

One night north of Iceland in Hurricane force we were sat on the deck in a flat on 2 deck. As you know we sat on the deck for obvious reasons in conditions that no one other than those that have been in could contemplate. We were on middle watch and it was around minus 30/40 outside. At the point where the deck is welded to the bulkhead at the riser about six inches up from the deck,  the weld opened up and ran along in a second like opening a zip for a length of about ten feet before stopping at an upright weld!! The look on all our faces of those five or six of us there was wide eyed and a little ohh heck!! or words to that effect. Someone went to get the buffer and he said " Its fine I will get it welded up !!!! " lol. Never ever forgotten it. So it wasnt just the shiney Sheff, I was on Andromeda. I luuurved roughers but you have to experience hurricane force north atlantic to beleive it innitt!!!!

• Happy 1

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

One night north of Iceland in Hurricane force we were sat on the deck in a flat on 2 deck. As you know we sat on the deck for obvious reasons in conditions that no one other than those that have been in could contemplate. We were on middle watch and it was around minus 30/40 outside. At the point where the deck is welded to the bulkhead at the riser about six inches up from the deck,  the weld opened up and ran along in a second like opening a zip for a length of about ten feet before stopping at an upright weld!! The look on all our faces of those five or six of us there was wide eyed and a little ohh heck!! or words to that effect. Someone went to get the buffer and he said " Its fine I will get it welded up !!!! " lol. Never ever forgotten it. So it wasnt just the shiney Sheff, I was on Andromeda. I luuurved roughers but you have to experience hurricane force north atlantic to beleive it innitt!!!!

Coming back from the Fez, Far East for the uninitiated, before the reopening of the Suez Canal, we were in really good ruffers of the SE coast of South Africa. The ship would rise on a wave, rock on the top and then plunge down into the trough and repeat for a day or three. We got a hole in the hull in one of the forward magazines. Dump all the shells and go into dry dock in Simonstown. Job done. 
Enjoyed every minute. 

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Nightwatch said:

Coming back from the Fez, Far East for the uninitiated, before the reopening of the Suez Canal, we were in really good ruffers of the SE coast of South Africa. The ship would rise on a wave, rock on the top and then plunge down into the trough and repeat for a day or three. We got a hole in the hull in one of the forward magazines. Dump all the shells and go into dry dock in Simonstown. Job done. 
Enjoyed every minute. 

Probably best part of my life. Serious fun messing about on ships with big guns and stuff when a young bloke. Not to mention the ( benefits ) on runs ashore with exotic women :D

The Leanders commonly cracked at the joint between the fwd screen and the Foc'sle.  Meant the Captains carpet got wet.  Probably caused by the weight of the gun and magazine full of shells waving about in front.

Aeroplanes were much more fun!

N

4 minutes ago, BEngo said:

The Leanders commonly cracked at the joint between the fwd screen and the Foc'sle.  Meant the Captains carpet got wet.  Probably caused by the weight of the gun and magazine full of shells waving about in front.

Aeroplanes were much more fun!

N

Aeroplanes only existed for target practice. I luuurved Leanders, a great size and awesome when being thrown around at speed :D