Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Alan de Enfield

What happened to common sense ?

Featured Posts

There is still the same amount of common sense as there ever was, it is just that as the population increases, it gets spread more thinly.

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 2

I dont think it's his lack of common sense but inability to grasp the amount of rescue effort required and whether he really needs it. Sometimes you can get it wrong if you panic.

...................  and like it or not, any rescue effort under bad conditions puts the rescuers at risk, however small.  In the case of lifeboatmen for example the risk is often significant.

58 minutes ago, restlessnomad said:

I dont think it's his lack of common sense but inability to grasp the amount of rescue effort required and whether he really needs it. Sometimes you can get it wrong if you panic.

.... or just a massive sense of entitlement and self-obsession.

• Greenie 1

8 hours ago, Tumshie said:

It makes me very sad when people use these situation to promote the common sense is dying carp. Everybody has the right go go out and enjoy the great out doors but levels of experience vary from person to person. What might be an easy trek for me requiring very little though as it's second nature might be an expedition for someone else. 

I generally agree with your comment, but then I have never ever considered calling 999 because my legs were tired after walking uphill a long way!

On 16/01/2020 at 13:54, David Mack said:

I hope they 'suggested' to him that he should make a substantial donation to the Cairngorm and Tayside mountain rescue teams.

Rather than hope for a donation Mountain Rescue should bill him for their time and expertise.

15 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

I generally agree with your comment, but then I have never ever considered calling 999 because my legs were tired after walking uphill a long way!

I haven't spoken to any of the teams personally but there are photos of him the next day being stretchered back out to the track where he could be picked up by a landrover, which regardless of what the papers have printed suggests that he had slightly more than just a sore leg. 

15 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Rather than hope for a donation Mountain Rescue should bill him for their time and expertise.

Willie Anderson is bang out of order to be ranting about this on social media and should be given his head in his hands to play with for such unprofessional conduct, for the same reasons as suggesting billing people is also ridiculous. 

Anybody and everybody has the right to roam in Scotland, it's the law; should people be sensible? Yes. Should they be prepared? Yes. Should we start curbing peoples rights? absolutely not. People make errors through lack of experience or through misjudgment all the time sometimes they should know better, sometimes they even get away with it, but when this leads to them needing help then help should be called for. If people think that they are not in enough trouble to call for help or if they do so they are going to be named and shamed on social media or that they are going to be charged for a call out that could lead to them not calling for the help they actually need or not calling in time before their situation get preventably much worse. The MRT are not there to judge they are there to do a job of work.

As I have been someone who has tramped out onto the hill in horrendous weather conditions to find and help return the lost and hurt am I still allowed to call this post a virtuesignallingsnowflakeoffendedonothersbehalf rant? I'll be a little miffed if I can't. But ho hum I'm sure I'll have another chance at some point (probbly relatively soon). :D

• Greenie 2

On the face of it the blokes a prat but as others have said, these stories are always going the rounds. Can I suggest he's done the MR a favour?, just like air sea rescue, lifeboats, coastguards, ambulance services and firemen who frequently get called out for silly sods bitten by crabs, run out of marmalade, missed the last bus, heads stuck in railings etc. Its invaluable training so when I climb Ben Bevis in my slippers and run out of fags the services will be well trained, ready for anything and will have sticking plasters for my blisters. Just a thought.

Edited by Bee
  • Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, Bee said:

Its invaluable training so when I climb Ben Bevis in my slippers and run out of fags the services will be well trained, ready for anything and will have sticking plasters for my blisters. Just a thought.

Exactly - and you can stop to bang out a tune or two on the piano that other bloke took up there before you. 

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2006/may/17/arts.artsnews1

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2006/may/19/martinwainwright.uknews2

A close relative is a coastguard helicopter pilot. They get a call out one evening a few months ago to the Peak District. A man has fallen off a cliff face and seriously injured. He's airlifted to hospital (Sheffield?). According to information at the time , he had been drinking and thought it would be a great idea to do some "free-climbing" .

The 'copter is then on its way back to base and there's another call to airlift an injured person from a ferry in the North Sea.They return to base for a quick re-fuel and go out to the ferry some where off Cromer by this time. A woman passenger has broken her arm in an accident on the ship, she is then airlifted to hospital......But, it turns out that she sustained the injury before the ship had sailed , she could have left the ship while it's still tied up and gone to hospital by ambulance, that, however, might have  slightly delayed the ship's sailing so somebody in authority apparently decided  it would best not to delay sailing  and cost us taxpayers several  kilopounds  an hour  for an emergency call out,not without risks associated with airlifting people off ships at sea. Not blaming the injured woman here, but there's a distinct shortage of common sense around by my way of thinking.

3 hours ago, Tumshie said:

I haven't spoken to any of the teams personally but there are photos of him the next day being stretchered back out to the track where he could be picked up by a landrover, which regardless of what the papers have printed suggests that he had slightly more than just a sore leg. 

Willie Anderson is bang out of order to be ranting about this on social media and should be given his head in his hands to play with for such unprofessional conduct, for the same reasons as suggesting billing people is also ridiculous. 

Anybody and everybody has the right to roam in Scotland, it's the law; should people be sensible? Yes. Should they be prepared? Yes. Should we start curbing peoples rights? absolutely not. People make errors through lack of experience or through misjudgment all the time sometimes they should know better, sometimes they even get away with it, but when this leads to them needing help then help should be called for. If people think that they are not in enough trouble to call for help or if they do so they are going to be named and shamed on social media or that they are going to be charged for a call out that could lead to them not calling for the help they actually need or not calling in time before their situation get preventably much worse. The MRT are not there to judge they are there to do a job of work.

As I have been someone who has tramped out onto the hill in horrendous weather conditions to find and help return the lost and hurt am I still allowed to call this post a virtuesignallingsnowflakeoffendedonothersbehalf rant? I'll be a little miffed if I can't. But ho hum I'm sure I'll have another chance at some point (probbly relatively soon). :D

Sorry but I disagree.

People need to take responsibility for their actions and charging them for needless callouts might just concentrate their minds. Certainly any monies raised that way will be put to good use for the benefit of all people who are genuinely in need of the volunteers services.

Edited by cuthound
Phat phingers
  • Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Sorry but I disagree.

People need to take responsibility for their actions and charging them for needless callouts might just concentrate their minds. Certainly any moniesraised thst way will bebout to good use forthe benefit of all people who are genuinely in need of the volunteers services.

You can disagree all you like it doesn't make me any less right. :D

7 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Sorry but I disagree.

People need to take responsibility for their actions and charging them for needless callouts might just concentrate their minds. Certainly any moniesraised thst way will bebout to good use forthe benefit of all people who are genuinely in need of the volunteers services.

I expect insurance cover would soon pop up to cover this,if it hasn't already.

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

I expect insurance cover would soon pop up to cover this,if it hasn't already.

Nah - someone would set up a 'just giving' page (or whatever it is called) and all his similar minded mates could contribute.

On 16/01/2020 at 14:34, Tumshie said:

My cousins who are are townies all laugh at me because I'm not very good in their natural environment but I do much better in theirs than they do in mine. 

Good call Tumsh.

53 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Sorry but I disagree.

Not sure of other volunteer 'rescue' services but MRT (E&W) are still very much against charging for their service (either personally or by Gov support).

13 minutes ago, StationMaster said:

Not sure of other volunteer 'rescue' services but MRT (E&W) are still very much against charging for their service (either personally or by Gov support).

I'm not aware of any of the volunteer services looking to charge, a good friend is MRT coordinator for North Wales, they do get extremely frustrated when called out to "someone who has run out of gas and cannot make a brew" as they could be out on the mountain when a 'real' accident needs them but they are already committed.

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

, they do get extremely frustrated when called out to "someone who has run out of gas and cannot make a brew" as they could be out on the mountain when a 'real' accident needs them but they are already committed.

Of coarse they do, but that doesn't transfer to charging for rescue. Which was the point I tried to make.

2 hours ago, Tumshie said:

You can disagree all you like it doesn't make me any less right. :D

Or me any less wrong! 😁

50 minutes ago, StationMaster said:

Of coarse they do, but that doesn't transfer to charging for rescue. Which was the point I tried to make.

I wasn't suggesting "charging for rescue, I was advocating charging for wasting their time.

Just now, cuthound said:

I wasn't suggesting "charging for rescue, I was advocating charging for wasting their time.

How are you going to define wasting of their time? 

1 minute ago, cuthound said:

Who decides... That is one of the primary reasons for not charging.

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

How are you going to define wasting of their time? 

I wouldn't, the rescue service would.

4 minutes ago, StationMaster said:

Who decides... That is one of the primary reasons for not charging.

See above.

Edited by cuthound
To add spaces between merged posts