Saturday 25th January - The day has arrived for my return.

huami

Featured Posts

9 hours ago, Gayzingalone said:

Yesterday I changed my (pump-out) toilet for a new Thetford Cassette C260 series with porcelain bowl (and for the price I thought I could operate it and tell it to go an empty itself with my ipad ) ... but at least it has wheels on the cassette and a handle. Last week I had fitted carpet from front to back which makes walking about with bare feet a lot more comfortable.

Ooooooooo.

Bad move!

• Greenie 1

9 hours ago, Gayzingalone said:

Yesterday I changed my (pump-out) toilet for a new Thetford Cassette C260 series with porcelain bowl (and for the price I thought I could operate it and tell it to go an empty itself with my ipad ) ... but at least it has wheels on the cassette and a handle. Last week I had fitted carpet from front to back which makes walking about with bare feet a lot more comfortable.

Good man !

You Know It makes Sense.png

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

Unfortunately, I am stacked out at present, with a 70 foot paint job on the way, we've worked on 7 different boats this week, several solar fits booked and also looking after 85 yr old parents(one with severe dementia) up in Blackpool along with my sister.

Solar fitters I know are OnboardSolar , Tim, is a boatertoo, http://www.onboardsolar.co.uk/index.php

and M&R, who I bought my first panel and controller from almost 10 years ago!! https://narrowboatsolarsystems.co.uk/

Hi Matty ... Thanks so much for your reply and I fully understand with how busy you are with everything.. Thanks also for your advice to look towards "Onboard Solar" and M&R and I will certainly look into both of them.

Thanks again,

neil

3 hours ago, Gayzingalone said:

Hi WotEver, ....  and thanks for the information. Unfortunately both firms (although they have a great selection and lots of good advice), they don't actually install the solar panels.

Onboard Energy do, but they may well be booked solid for the foreseeable. 

11 hours ago, Victor Vectis said:

Ooooooooo.

Bad move!

Hi Victor, I'm confused (Don't worry it happens often!).

In your comments on "I changed my (pump-out) toilet for a new Thetford Cassette C260" and "Last week I had fitted carpet from front to back which makes walking about with bare feet a lot more comfortable", you remarked "Ooooooooo." followed by "Bad move!" .....

But is it Ooooooooo (Very nice?) or is it Ooooooooo (Not a good move? ....  or is the "Bad move!" referring to the toilet or the carpet (or both in your opinion)? I'm quite confused!

Anyway, I always love to hear other people’s opinions so thanks for your input. Great to hear from you.

Have a lovely day

neil

10 hours ago, matty40s said:

Just a shame you didnt manage to 'log on' earlier as one of the boats here has just removed a fairly new cassette bog for a composting loo.

Just keep it somewhere safe for them for when they ask you to re fit it in a year or two ?

Peronally I prefer the cassette toilet.I don't like the thought of a month's worth of urine and excrement sloshing around in a tank in the boat.(Although opinions do vary)

A carpet is nice to walk on,but unless you take your shoes off every time you enter the boat,it will need to be towpath mud coloured,because thats the colour it will become.

• Greenie 1

39 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

A carpet is nice to walk on,but unless you take your shoes off every time you enter the boat,it will need to be towpath mud coloured,because thats the colour it will become.

...and wot about the stove? We have hardwood flooring in the saloon (and everywhere else) and the amount of coal dust/ash that I wipe up in the 2-3' area around the stove each morning after raking it out is astonishing. If we had carpet down it would be a nightmare to keep clean.

I agree about towpath mud as well. We always take our shoes off - except when rushing down to get a key for the water etc ....and water points are always muddy even with no rain. Hardwood flooring is much easier to keep clean. Wear slippers?

9 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

We have carpet tiles in the lounge area, Flotex in the galley and a bit of carpet in the bedroom. I even have the carpet tiles through the engine room. but I dont have a coal fire

I think it is the coal fire that kills carpet in the saloon for me. With no fire then I could put up with carpet.

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You don't wear any foot wear 'inside' in Asia so I'm sure Neil is used to remembering to take off /put on footwear.

I found it most inconvenient.

.....but where Neil used to live is a bit warmer than here!

In the winter, the temp in our boat is toastie, but to get it toastie with the stove, the air near the roof is near 28°C, the air at head height whilst sitting is 23°C and the air at floor level is 14°C. The air circulation is hot air from stove goes up, hits the ceiling and goes back down the boat, at the far end the cooling air sinks and returns up the boat at floor level, considerably colder than when it left the stove. Some form of feet warming is required Nov-March. Mrs Bob wears socks but moans about them going black with the coal dust. Maybe we need carpet? DUH!

Just now, Dr Bob said:

In the winter, the temp in our boat is toastie, but to get it toastie with the stove, the air near the roof is near 28°C, the air at head height whilst sitting is 23°C and the air at floor level is 14°C. The air circulation is hot air from stove goes up, hits the ceiling and goes back down the boat, at the far end the cooling air sinks and returns up the boat at floor level, considerably colder than when it left the stove. Some form of feet warming is required Nov-March. Mrs Bob wears socks but moans about them going black with the coal dust. Maybe we need carpet? DUH!

You need an Ecofan

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

I think it is the coal fire that kills carpet in the saloon for me. With no fire then I could put up with carpet.

tiled hearth with wooden surround, then carpet.

24 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Sounds like your insulation is lacking and much of the stove's heat is disappearing out the roof.

2 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

Sounds like your insulation is lacking and much of the stove's heat is disappearing out the roof.

Its a colecraft shell and reasonably well insulated. Have you measured your roof temp and the floor temp (or a bit of wood v. near the floor) ? I think you will be surprised.

• Greenie 1

49 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Its a colecraft shell and reasonably well insulated. Have you measured your roof temp and the floor temp (or a bit of wood v. near the floor) ? I think you will be surprised.

Of course I have.  The floor is colder at first but after 3-4 hours the difference is never more than 5 degree.  Usually less.

4 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Of course I have.  The floor is colder at first but after 3-4 hours the difference is never more than 5 degree.  Usually less.

Am I missing something are we supposed to do this, am I not a real boater unless I routinely measure the temperature differential in the cabin?

:)

2 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Mine is more than that

I am obviously missing out here

32 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Do you measure yours frequently or infrequently?  :D

I agree by the way.

Measured via an infrequent red thermometer.

23 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Am I missing something are we supposed to do this, am I not a real boater unless I routinely measure the temperature differential in the cabin?

No its only something bored boaters do, infrequently.