Saturday 25th January - The day has arrived for my return.

huami

Featured Posts

Just now, WotEver said:

Yes, I remember her too. Always sad when someone is hounded off. 

I managed to contact her outside of the forum as someone wanted to be remembered to her, that was a year or two ago, she was stil renovating her boat ( I think it had sunk?) and getting on with life. 

1 minute ago, Dyertribe said:

I managed to contact her outside of the forum as someone wanted to be remembered to her, that was a year or two ago, she was stil renovating her boat ( I think it had sunk?) and getting on with life. 

Was that tree?

Completely and utterly bonkers but lovely, she came to a banter or 2

1 minute ago, tree monkey said:

Was that tree?

That’s right! She did come across as bonkers but in a kindly and harmless way. She was chased off by some bully who objected to her manner of writing. 

15 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Was that tree?

Seconded. I met her a few times and she is a totally lovely fruit loop. Quite hard work though after a while!

• Greenie 1

26 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Anyone remember Soulgirl, who Rachel chased off?

Yes, she was doing her boat up around the same time as me and she was hounded for her choices of gas hob if I remember correctly... To my shame and regret as 'Chagall'  I teased her too, although very mildly compared to some, but she actually got onto the water well before me and enjoyed her boat for some time. I dont know what happened to her eventually though.

She stalked Rachel at one point I think which scared her a bit! 

5 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Miss Max. A young lady I helped out over a period of time in the Skipton area. My reward was a foul mouthed elongated post throwing abuse and untruths my way. 

I ‘didn’t’ advise overall blacking.

Martyn, no need to defend yourself. I think everyone here read her diatribe and concluded Miss Max was the one out of order, not you. 

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 1

44 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Martyn, no need to defend yourself. I think everyone here read her diatribe and concluded Miss Max was the one out of order, not you. 

It wasn’t my best experience. I had forgotten about it all.

On 02/02/2020 at 18:42, Winn said:

Yes, she was doing her boat up around the same time as me and she was hounded for her choices of gas hob if I remember correctly... To my shame and regret as 'Chagall'  I teased her too, although very mildly compared to some, but she actually got onto the water well before me and enjoyed her boat for some time. I dont know what happened to her eventually though.

She stalked Rachel at one point I think which scared her a bit!

Teased? There's a troubled lady who left the forum, and possibly help, due to your "teasing". I dearly hope you've learnt - real people with real problems exist on the internet. Why not be kind? I struggle to connect the lady I've met, who came across as a kind lady, despite the internet persona.

It makes me sad I hope before you attack me you remember how kind I was to you  ?

Edited by Ange

11 hours ago, Ange said:

Teased? There's a troubled lady who left the forum, and possibly help, due to your "teasing". I dearly hope you've learnt - real people with real problems exist on the internet. Why not be kind? I struggle to connect the lady I've met, who came across as a kind lady, despite the internet persona.

It makes me sad I hope before you attack me you remember how kind I was to you  ?

Ange, I didn't tease that particular lady, she left due to imagined bullying, something she has done before at least three times if I remember correctly. The whole thing was mismanaged until the blame was laid unfairly at my door/post. I would not dream of attacking you because as you have already found out I am kind, the person you met many times is the person I am. I contacted you at the time but you didn't reply. 

Internet personas and forum postings are a difficult concept, what is written on the page is confusing to translate to reality and perhaps because of this unstable people imagine many unjust insults and react accordingly. Im truly sorry 'grey lady'  left but it was not because of me and I refuse to take the blame. That particular thread had many voices, and many posts were deleted or changed, including ones made by the moderator of the time. This left a very disjointed and untrue version of events. 

...edit to answer your question of "why not be kind"  do you mean kind in every single aspect of the forum?   Sharp humour for instance could be classed as unkind?  The lady in question used barbed sharp humour against a now banned cwdf member in that particular thread and on many occasions.  

Edited by Guest

Tree did have a unique, and often charming, posting style. Strangely, I thought I saw a post from her only a few months ago - but I have checked, and it is two and a half years since she visited CWDF. Perhaps she was quoted in one of those old threads which get revived from time to time.

I sometimes wonder what has happened to Brassy, alias Brassed Off, alias Grey Lady etc. She tended to come and go, but as far as I know it's quite a while since we saw her. I did send her a P.M. a year (or so) ago asking how she was, and got a reply, but I've heard nothing since.

Why ‘angry’ Tumshie… do you have the verbatim report of what was written that evening or are you just going off hearsay?… which I have to admit isn’t like you.    The moderator of that evening used mod privileges to manipulate their own posts and those of friends by removing suspect bitching and leaving no sign or message of such deletions.  (I have screenshots before those deletions)  

The now banned member tried to defend himself against an increasingly angry tirade and the emotional angst turned towards me when I pointed out that sniping and bitching usually meant backlash…and wondered what had she expected. 

That sniping having been mod sanitised was the only evidence of anything unkind in the thread.  The continuing volley of extremely bad language from ‘grey lady’ was then reported (not by me in case you are assuming so)  and the thread further cleaned.  Moderator NB Lola was then dragged into the uproar and amid accusing fingers immediately banned me leaving me no ability to defend myself.  The initial moderator continued screaming bully in order to exonerate themselves.

Soon afterwards accusations of my suggested spitefulness against a seemingly vulnerable and suspected suicide risk girl were spread not only here but on another forum, it was suggested I might have caused her to consider taking her life.  Just how “kind” was that? 

I had let it go but since Ange has chosen to return it then I at least will defend myself once more. 

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Gayzingalone said:

Hi Guyz ....  and a thousand apologies for disappearing for such a long time. I have actually been very busy with lots of administerial tasks. The one that was causing the most dramas was that I was waiting for the return of my new passport and the absence of which was calling no end of delays. One thing was that until I had all my official ID documentation (The passport office had my old passport and my still valid European passport!).

This being I was unable to open a bank account or subscribe to a mobile and internet provider. Now after nearly three weeks of waiting I have both my passports back, have been able to open a bank account and next week I shall look to sign up with “Three” and at the same time buy a new mobile. I even managed to get a Senior Rail Card (£30) which gives me 33% discount on rail travel.

I am still very complimentary about Whilton Marina who have been nothing but the perfect company from begin to end. I am now living “on board” and will be taking to the open waters from 1st March. I will then be going on a two day “Helmsman Course” after which I will attempt not to crash into any of you whilst I’m speeding along at a wonderful maximum of 4 mph.

What else is new (or possibly I already mentioned it? ….. I’m getting old!) but my boat will be re-named “huami” (Who am I) and under the name I am going to put (in smaller text) “it’sme.neil”.

As soon as I get a decent phone, I will upload some photo’s … but in the mean time I hope that everyone is well and keeping warm and dry.

Where do you plan to go first?

3 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

Where do you plan to go first?

I think possibly I should go and buy some canal guides / maps or I won't know where I am going (or even where I have been). I love it that you can only turn a Narrowboat in specific places as that will save me a lot of problems! ... Let me explain! ... I walk along a street then eventually find the shop I wanted .... then I come out of the shop and turn the wrong way and end up thinking that I have seen most of these shops a while back! So, as I get older possibly my "Sat-Nav" stops working as it should? In the future I can just get back on the boat and set off (in the correct direction). (Isn't life wonderful!).

Yesterday I changed my (pump-out) toilet for a new Thetford Cassette C260 series with porcelain bowl (and for the price I thought I could operate it and tell it to go an empty itself with my ipad ) ... but at least it has wheels on the cassette and a handle. Last week I had fitted carpet from front to back which makes walking about with bare feet a lot more comfortable.

I also would like to go to the Crick Boat Show (in May) as I have seen it a few times on some of the bloggers sites and it looks very interesting. Also I might get some ideas about solar panels, as I'm not having much luck finding out about them yet.

Anyway, I will continue scrubbing off the old name ready for painting and my new vinyl name letters to be attached...

Everyone have a lovely day, keep warm and dry and I will update you again soon.

Neil

25 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Talk to Bimble or Onboard Energy. :)

Agreed.  You will probably find an exhibitor there for solar systems, but it will probably be a lot more expensive.  I went to Crick once, won't be bothering again.  It's mostly for non-boating dreamers to pine after fancy new widebeams.

• Greenie 1

6 hours ago, WotEver said:

Talk to Bimble or Onboard Energy. :)

Hi WotEver, ....  and thanks for the information. Unfortunately both firms (although they have a great selection and lots of good advice), they don't actually install the solar panels.

So, I hope that someone can point me in the direction of a solar supplier that also is an installer? 

Thanks again ...

neil

1 minute ago, Gayzingalone said:

Hi WotEver, ....  and thanks for the information. Unfortunately both firms (although they have a great selection and lots of good advice), they don't actually install the solar panels.

So, I hope that someone can point me in the direction of a solar supplier that also is an installer? 

Thanks again ...

neil

I take it matty over 50 is unable to help? 

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

I take it matty over 50 is unable to help? 

Unfortunately, I am stacked out at present, with a 70 foot paint job on the way, we've worked on 7 different boats this week, several solar fits booked and also looking after 85 yr old parents(one with severe dementia) up in Blackpool along with my sister.

Solar fitters I know are OnboardSolar , Tim, is a boatertoo, http://www.onboardsolar.co.uk/index.php

and M&R, who I bought my first panel and controller from almost 10 years ago!! https://narrowboatsolarsystems.co.uk/

Edited by matty40s
  • Greenie 1

33 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Unfortunately, I am stacked out at present, with a 70 foot paint job on the way, we've worked on 7 different boats this week, several solar fits booked and also looking after 85 yr old parents(one with severe dementia) up in Blackpool along with my sister.

Solar fitters I know are OnboardSolar , Tim, ehonis a boater too, http://www.onboardsolar.co.uk/index.php

and M&R, who I bought my first panel and controller from almost 10 years ago!! https://narrowboatsolarsystems.co.uk/

Thanks for reply anyway. I know what you mean about looking after elderly parents, I am up looking after mum at present ?