Saturday 25th January - The day has arrived for my return.

huami

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, tree monkey said:

Nope, don't give two hoots about that either, I may not like a colour scheme/name or whatever but it's not my boat so crack on.

It was a joke. Just trying to lighten the mood a little. 

I'm sure most of the forum would be perfectly fine with my new white paint. 

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, TheMenagerieAfloat said:

It was a joke. Just trying to lighten the mood a little. 

I'm sure most of the forum would be perfectly fine with my new white paint. 

:)

sorry missed that

oh and it was likely me who had my signature edited by my OH whilst I was in a drunken stupor 

Edited by tree monkey

5 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

So just to be clear, the dinosaurs are quite happy to have a few poofs and lezzers on the cut, just so long as they keep it quiet. Well that is very magnanimous of them!

I doubt it bothers most boaters as most just get on with it and just treat people as boaters as I did when I met you and your partner on the Leeds Liverpool canal and before that a certain boating youtube couple when you were all on your way to Leeds Pride last Summer. Maybe it will be certain non-boaters along the canal that may not understand.

Methinks the personal prejudice of some posters is showing. 

To counter earlier posts about how most boaters are, I've only ever heard homophobia once from a boater.  It was from an octoganerian white male boater and it was directed at a young female asian lesbian boater.  It was a very innocuous remark and was meant in jest as they were actually great friends (even if he was VERY old-school in his core beliefs).  The world has moved on, sadly some members here are struggling with that.

I look forward to seeing Gayzing on the cut.

• Happy 1

1 minute ago, doratheexplorer said:

To counter earlier posts about how most boaters are, I've only ever heard homophobia once from a boater. 

I think you're overstating a mistaken point here.

If someone has a boat that looks like the centrepiece of a Pride rally, they are going to get hassled at various places on the canals.  They shouldn't,  but they will.

Most of the aggro won't be from other boaters, simply because there are so few of us as a percentage of the population. 

A bloke I know was badly beaten up for flying the Rainbow flag in Wigan last year, and has had grief in Manchester similarly.  Again, not by boaters.

• Greenie 1

I've always found the cut remarkably tolerant, even to trombonists. My first mooring was at a farm where the farmer liked wandering around in a frock and high heels, at least one gay couple lived on and no-one blinked an eye when one resident boater changed sex.  There are plenty of "minority" groups drifting around,and naming your boat so it's recognisable as a sort of code is a good way of meeting like minded people. With the name of mine, I get to chat to morris dancers, folk musicians, and quite a lot of puzzled people, so I win all ways.

And fishermen, but I don't count them.

Edited by Arthur Marshall
  • Greenie 1

47 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

So just to be clear, the dinosaurs are quite happy to have a few poofs and lezzers on the cut, just so long as they keep it quiet. Well that is very magnanimous of them!

Thats a bit unfair. The cut is a mostly tolerant place and that's maybe why it has more than its fair share of "non standard" people of all types. The Op is new to the cut and its fair and reasonable to warn him that some bits of the canal go through places where the locals are less open minded and tend to throw stones at anything that they don't understand. I would give a similar warning to people with an expensive shiny boat with an extensive flower garden on the roof, its sort of putting two fingers up at the poor locals living in horrible housing estates....."look how lovely my life is compared with yours".

..........Dave

• Greenie 4

22 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Methinks the personal prejudice of some posters is showing. 

To counter earlier posts about how most boaters are, I've only ever heard homophobia once from a boater.  It was from an octoganerian white male boater and it was directed at a young female asian lesbian boater.  It was a very innocuous remark and was meant in jest as they were actually great friends (even if he was VERY old-school in his core beliefs).  The world has moved on, sadly some members here are struggling with that.

I look forward to seeing Gayzing on the cut.

Me thinks you live in cloud cuckoo land. If you dont think there is still plenty of agro about for such people just ask such as Melania Geymonat for one what she thinks and ask her how old the eeejuts were that were involved. Its still a daily occurence so sticking you head above the paparpet may be a silly thing to do.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, dmr said:

Thats a bit unfair. The cut is a mostly tolerant place and that's maybe why it has more than its fair share of "non standard" people of all types. The Op is new to the cut and its fair and reasonable to warn him that some bits of the canal go through places where the locals are less open minded and tend to throw stones at anything that they don't understand. I would give a similar warning to people with an expensive shiny boat with an extensive flower garden on the roof, its sort of putting two fingers up at the poor locals living in horrible housing estates....."look how lovely my life is compared with yours".

..........Dave

I agree the cut is a mostly tolerant place and the "dinosaurs" I refer to are not the average boater, they are the few on here who found it necessary to comment on the chap's choice of name etc. "All for the best possible reasons" - yea right! But the rest of your point is valid, there can on occasions (very rarely in our experience) be idiots who want to throw stones at anything they don't understand, but as you say that includes shiny boats with flowers. Nearly always kids, who IMO are likley more offended by conspicuous wealth than they are by sexuality. Times have changed somewhat since you and I were kids!

4 minutes ago, dmr said:

I would give a similar warning to people with an expensive shiny boat with an extensive flower garden on the roof, its sort of putting two fingers up at the poor locals living in horrible housing estates....."look how lovely my life is compared with yours".

That's why my stock answer to the frequently asked

"How much did your boat cost?"

is

"They are like cars.  You can pay a few grand for a banger or a couple of hundred grand for a fancy one."

I think most of the people who are asking that question don't actually care what I paid for my boat, they want to know if it is something they might be able to do or if it's completely out of their reach.

17 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Me thinks you live in cloud cuckoo land.

Or London.

Or Cambridge. 

Or Oxford.  

Or Hebden. 

Or... 

My (very limited) experience is of open tolerance/celebration. (I struggle to explain to munchkins why we 'need' Pride and, frankly, in places I'm likely to spend significant amounts of time moored up we're kind of 'over' the need for things like OP's boat name). 

But I'm sure you have genuine experience of other things. I've visited the provinces! 

OP's boat name is probably most social 'use' (not that it has to be, we can name them to please ourselves!) in places where ppl are smart enough to 'get it',  like to think they're 'cool with it' but secretly feel uncomfortable and could do with it being 'normalised'. 

It is possibly a danger to him in some other places. 

But he seems set on CC-ing outside London so I wish him all the best. 

Edited to add: it is often the silly/brave sticking their heads above the parapet who bring about social change, at some cost to themselves on occasion, but, often in hindsight, benefit to others. 

Edited again to add: I do actually like lots of bits of the UK. I just notice London gets a hard time on here so over compensate, mostly light heartedly. 

Edited by TheMenagerieAfloat

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

That's why my stock answer to the frequently asked

"How much did your boat cost?"

is

"They are like cars.  You can pay a few grand for a banger or a couple of hundred grand for a fancy one."

I think most of the people who are asking that question don't actually care what I paid for my boat, they want to know if it is something they might be able to do or if it's completely out of their reach.

We have noticed that the "how much does it cost" question is Much more common in the Black Country than anywhere else. My answer is similar to yours but I also point out that the boat is my home and probably worth a lot less than the house that they live in.

I also very much agree with your last comment, many of the kids think "I would like to do that one day", but a few think we are just gypsy boater scum, its quite sad how you can sometimes just hear them repeating the words that their parents speak.

.................Dave

6 minutes ago, dmr said:

its quite sad how you can sometimes just hear them repeating the words that their parents speak.

.................Dave

Er, isn't that how we all learned to speak?

Congratulations, The boat looks beautiful and doesn't appear to require any major work. You'll have personalised it and made it yours in no time.

If we see you about give us a wave hello!

Ignore the homophobes here and on the cut. Be who you are.

We do have the concern that when you come to sell your boat you may be restricting the market a bit. I know you plan on having your boat for years to come but as a new boat owner you may find that you requirements for you boat change over time. Neither you or the buyer will want to repaint the boat when selling it. Fly a massive flag, Shout loudly, do whatever but bear in mind one day you may have to sell it.

Should a boat name reflect the character of the boat or the owner?

Silver fox (FoxesAfloat) gets away with it as their boat is silver (and band new shiny silver at that), and plenty of boats/trains have had silver in the name before them that no one bats an eyelid.

Good luck. Enjoy it, just please don't sit all the time in the marina!

Oh, for goodness sake (directed at thread in general)... Have just looked at the boat (seems well looked after internally :-)). The boat already has heterosexual (and entirely 2-person specific) paint. 

Unless OP wants to be mistaken for one half of a hetero couple, neither of whom he shares a name with, he is gonna have to have that panel repainted anyway. 

Even though the OP is new to the canals he is a gent of retirement age who has been gay his whole life I'm not sure he needs us to warn him about much, (is straightsplaining a thing? I don't know) I suspect this is not his first rodeo. :rolleyes:

• Greenie 3

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Me thinks you live in cloud cuckoo land. If you dont think there is still plenty of agro about for such people just ask such as Melania Geymonat for one what she thinks and ask her how old the eeejuts were that were involved. Its still a daily occurence so sticking you head above the paparpet may be a silly thing to do.

What has the age of the eejuts got to do with anything?

2 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

I think the point was that sadly some views we may wish to be things of the past are still prevalent amongst some of the younger generation. 

Edited to add: (You mentioned a chap with 'old school' core beliefs) 

Edited by TheMenagerieAfloat
  • Greenie 1

1 minute ago, doratheexplorer said:

Peeps seem to think it's only do called dinosaurs that think badly of homosexuals. It isn't, nowts changed.