Saturday 25th January - The day has arrived for my return.

huami

Featured Posts

54 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

I don’t really agree with all the old fossils on here telling the OP he must pretend to be something he isn’t. That is what caused the problem in the first place. We have from time to time flown a rainbow flag and it has never been an issue. As to the name, the average homophobic grunt is barely literate and probably doesn’t understand the difference between gazing and gayzing.

His sexuality is obviously important to the OP so he should be able to declare it if he wishes and not have to hide it in a closet to keep a bunch of dinosaurs happy.

And before you croak out “Yes but WE don’t need to declare our sexuality” I would remind you that the world is full of heterosexuality declarations, you just don’t notice them. If I had a quid for every time some presumptuous numpty asked me how my (nonexistent) wife and kids were, I’d be very rich. It is quite irritating.

Presumably of we have a black or Asian boater, the advice will be to put on white foundation makeup and have those big lips / slitty eyes surgically altered to look “english” for fear of some racism.

But I bet you didn't fly the flag in some of the rougher bits of the BCN or through the housing estates of Manchester? ?  In some places we close all the side hatches, lock the front doors, and take some of the stuff off the roof, a bit of anonymity and blandness is sometimes desirable.

We are currently in Hebden Bridge and I wish there was a heterosexual flag to fly to mark us out as a minority ?.

..............Dave

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, nicknorman said:

I don’t really agree with all the old fossils on here telling the OP he must pretend to be something he isn’t. That is what caused the problem in the first place. We have from time to time flown a rainbow flag and it has never been an issue. As to the name, the average homophobic grunt is barely literate and probably doesn’t understand the difference between gazing and gayzing.

His sexuality is obviously important to the OP so he should be able to declare it if he wishes and not have to hide it in a closet to keep a bunch of dinosaurs happy.

And before you croak out “Yes but WE don’t need to declare our sexuality” I would remind you that the world is full of heterosexuality declarations, you just don’t notice them. If I had a quid for every time some presumptuous numpty asked me how my (nonexistent) wife and kids were, I’d be very rich. It is quite irritating.

Presumably if we have a black or Asian boater, the advice will be to put on white foundation makeup and have those big lips / slitty eyes surgically altered to look “english” for fear of some racism.

Now you are just being ridiculous and over compensating. My comment was well meant, not judgemental like yours.

I expected better of you, my tolerance is normal, your remarks are extreme. My orientation is nothing to do with dinosaurs. I spend a large portion of my life in the far east, Thailand and the Philippines where a different sexual orientation is looked upon as a blessing.

This is not the attitude that prevails in the UK. 

29 minutes ago, Mike Hurley said:

They do Reargunner mugs too.

That mug advert is a constant on urban dictionary, any word you find on the site they will print on a mug for you, which I suppose is that long way round for saying yes they will. 

2CC071C1-52B7-454E-BE93-7B24755F912F.png

• Happy 1

1 hour ago, nicknorman said:

Presumably if we have a black or Asian boater, the advice will be to put on white foundation makeup and have those big lips / slitty eyes surgically altered to look “english” for fear of some racism.

Let me ask you something Nick and its a genuine question of someone who's entertaining and Informative Posts I have enjoyed for many Years . We have a new Member who has turned up on this Forum and the first thing he does is make everyone aware of his Sexuality , in fact some People would infer that its being used almost as his Validation . I dont know why that is though I must admit to finding it peculiar . Imagine for instance the hilarity that would ensue if someone joined the Forum as Heterosexual John , the first thing People would think is why has he felt the need to mention that fact and who cares anyway ?

Looking further the Member concerned apparently thinks that " Strait " Men are there in order to make more gay ones ?? A flippant comment perhaps but doubtless some will raise an eyebrow . Now to the question I was going to ask you , how would it be interpreted if I used a Picture of Carole Vorderman for my Avatar and then put a strap line at the foot of my Profile

" making Gay Men straight everywhere " I should think I would be verbally lynched and slung off the Forum .

Edited by Parahandy
  • Greenie 1

34 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

Now you are just being ridiculous and over compensating. My comment was well meant, not judgemental like yours.

I expected better of you, my tolerance is normal, your remarks are extreme. My orientation is nothing to do with dinosaurs. I spend a large portion of my life in the far east, Thailand and the Philippines where a different sexual orientation is looked upon as a blessing.

This is not the attitude that prevails in the UK. 

The only person who was being ridiculous was you, but the problem is you can't and won't recognise that. Nick's comments are in no way extreme.

@Parahandy. There was someone posting as a single middle aged heterosexual woman recently. And yes, I for one, did think it a little bit 'troll' ish to make such a fuss about her relationship status/intentions and appearance. Some of the 'later middle aged' men flocked to prove how feminist / supportive etc they were and it was slightly icky (they are 'my' nearly dead white heterosexual men and here to give _me_ advice on boat maintenance not actually be multifaceted human beings who enjoy a bit of armchair flirting on occasion!) 

Plenty of hetero ppl mention their other half's on here. Including in signatures (there is one I saw recently about someone falling asleep drunk and their gf editing it - it is a lightly amusing joke, same as OP's [edited to add, I read it as hetero ppl making more gay ones by reproducing, not 'turning' straight ppl gay] 

This poster on the other hand I think I've only given a hard time about silly app buying intentions (OP you really won't need one!) because that is what he's asked about. And at least he's actually got a boat and been asking genuinely boat-related questions! 

Edited by TheMenagerieAfloat

4 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

About your new boat name.

As you are OK displaying your sexuality I hope that you do not get too many homophobic remarks.

You have been away for some considerable time, consider please.

This is not Thailand where sexual orientation is an open book, Britain is still populated with folk who may take exception to GayZing and the rainbow. And act accordingly towards you.

Why put yourself up as an Aunt Sally?

Agree, with the above. I know a few gay/lesbian couples on the canal system, but none of them really advertise it with the name of the boat, they just get on with it and everyone treats them the same. Looking at your Avatar and your "Slogan" on your posts you seam to want to advertise it to all, which may be ok on certain canals in Manchester but may not be best practice elsewhere on the system, just hope it all goes ok and enjoy it.

Edited by PD1964
  • Greenie 1

1 minute ago, PD1964 said:

Agree, with the above. I know a few gay/lesbian couples on the canal system, but none of them really advertise it with the name of the boat, they just get on with it and everyone treats them the same. Looking at your Avatar and your "Slogan" on your posts you seam to want to advertise it to all, which may be ok on certain canals in Manchester but may not be best practice elsewhere on the system.

Thank heavens for some support. I was only trying to be helpful.

I am going to stop posting on here, there are so many that just turn any innocent post into an argument.

I have so many on ignore to try to avoid them that I only get half the posts anyway.

It will be unfortunate for those boaters who seek help and who I am able and willing to help.

So farewell Canalworld.

2 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

Thank heavens for some support. I was only trying to be helpful.

I am going to stop posting on here, there are so many that just turn any innocent post into an argument.

I have so many on ignore to try to avoid them that I only get half the posts anyway.

It will be unfortunate for those boaters who seek help and who I am able and willing to help.

So farewell Canalworld.

Bye bye!

In the near-words of Arnie, “You’ll be back!”

(Probably as in “back to the wall, these poofs are everywhere. And don’t mention the soap!”)

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

The only person who was being ridiculous was you, but the problem is you can't and won't recognise that. Nick's comments are in no way extreme.

Sadly Graham you are representative of many on this Forum but fortunately totally unrepresentative of anyone I have met on the Canal and I have been there over 40 years .

Anyone who doesn't reflect your own narrow opinion is an inevitable target for your Opprobrium , of course the whole spectacle is rendered even more ridiculous by the woke braying Donkeys that encourage you .

Just now, nicknorman said:

So just to be clear, the dinosaurs are quite happy to have a few poofs and lezzers on the cut, just so long as they keep it quiet. Well that is very magnanimous of them!

I don't understand why its anyone elses business,  either who they play with or how they paint their boat.

Shame it's turned a happy little thread into a wierd pit of unpleasantness 

• Greenie 2

2 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

So just to be clear, the dinosaurs are quite happy to have a few poofs and lezzers on the cut, just so long as they keep it quiet. Well that is very magnanimous of them!

That comment is completely unbecoming of you Nick

Just now, tree monkey said:

I don't understand why its anyone elses business,  either who they play with or how they paint their boat.

Shame it's turned a happy little thread into a wierd pit of unpleasantness 

Absolutely which is why there is no need to have it rammed down your Throat and then People like yourself jumping on a perceived Bandwagon with unhelpful comments addressing an issue that doesn't exist .

30 minutes ago, Parahandy said:

Let me ask you something Nick and its a genuine question of someone who's entertaining and Informative Posts I have enjoyed for many Years . We have a new Member who has turned up on this Forum and the first thing he does is make everyone aware of his Sexuality , in fact some People would infer that its being used almost as his Validation . I dont know why that is though I must admit to finding it peculiar . Imagine for instance the hilarity that would ensue if someone joined the Forum as Heterosexual John , the first thing People would think is why has he felt the need to mention that fact and who cares anyway ?

Looking further the Member concerned apparently thinks that " Strait " Men are there in order to make more gay ones ?? A flippant comment perhaps but doubtless some will raise an eyebrow . Now to the question I was going to ask you , how would it be interpreted if I used a Picture of Carole Vorderman for my Avatar and then put a strap line at the foot of my Profile

" making Gay Men straight everywhere " I should think I would be verbally lynched and slung off the Forum .

Personally I don’t think my own gayness is my defining point, but everyone is different and I absolutely support the OP’s right to make that his if he wants to. What harm does it do? Do it make you feel you need to lock up your sons or something?

The only thing wrong with your Carole vordeman quip is that is is totally misplaced. Clearly you have no idea of the concept of a gay icon of the female gender eg Kylie. No poofs want to sleep with Carole or Kylie, they just worship them (well not Carole so much, I suspect). Whereas the OP’s quip is entirely factual. But if you really want to put it in your signature line, I would not contemplate complaining about it.

18 minutes ago, TheMenagerieAfloat said:

@Parahandy. There was someone posting as a single middle aged heterosexual woman recently. And yes, I for one, did think it a little bit 'troll' ish to make such a fuss about her relationship status/intentions and appearance. Some of the 'later middle aged' men flocked to prove how feminist / supportive etc they were and it was slightly icky (they are 'my' nearly dead white heterosexual men and here to give _me_ advice on boat maintenance not actually be multifaceted human beings who enjoy a bit of armchair flirting on occasion!) 

Plenty of hetero ppl mention their other half's on here. Including in signatures (there is one I saw recently about someone falling asleep drunk and their gf editing it - it is a lightly amusing joke, same as OP's [edited to add, I read it as hetero ppl making more gay ones by reproducing, not 'turning' straight ppl gay] 

This poster on the other hand I think I've only given a hard time about silly app buying intentions (OP you really won't need one!) because that is what he's asked about. And at least he's actually got a boat and been asking genuinely boat-related questions! 

If I meet the boater in question he will be guaranteed both my civility and indeed any help I can offer him , we are all decent People after all . 

1 minute ago, tree monkey said:

Unless it is a (formerly tatty looking) grey widebeam (with no recent hull survey) painted white on the inside... in which case the whole forum can join in glorious harmony roundly condemning the colour scheme/boat as a whole as 'London' and peace will reign on the forum for seconds at a time. :-) 

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

I bet the crew of 'Rainbow Warrior' didn't encounter any problems.

Now, where were we? Ah yes.

Neil you've done well to find a boat which suits you so quickly.  Whether you choose to paint it sky blue pink with yellow dots on, and whatever name you bestow upon it ("You can call it Yo'Mama if you wanna" - Sonny Boy Williamson) I hope you and it have fun and adventure together.

5 minutes ago, Parahandy said:

That comment is completely unbecoming of you Nick

Absolutely which is why there is no need to have it rammed down your Throat and then People like yourself jumping on a perceived Bandwagon with unhelpful comments addressing an issue that doesn't exist .

There is a great joke in there but I had to delete if for fear of upsetting the dinosaurs.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, TheMenagerieAfloat said:

Unless it is a (formerly tatty looking) grey widebeam (with no recent hull survey) painted white on the inside... in which case the whole forum can join in glorious harmony roundly condemning the colour scheme/boat as a whole as 'London' and peace will reign on the forum for seconds at a time. ?

Nope, don't give two hoots about that either, I may not like a colour scheme/name or whatever but it's not my boat so crack on.

Just now, nicknorman said:

Personally I don’t think my own gayness is my defining point, but everyone is different and I absolutely support the OP’s right to make that his if he wants to. What harm does it do? Do it make you feel you need to lock up your sons or something?

The only thing wrong with your Carole vordeman quip is that is is totally misplaced. Clearly you have no idea of the concept of a gay icon of the female gender eg Kylie. No poofs want to sleep with Carole or Kylie, they just worship them (well not Carole so much, I suspect). Whereas the OP’s quip is entirely factual. But if you really want to put it in your signature line, I would not contemplate complaining about it.

Thanks for your kind reply Nick , there is absolutely no need to make a stereotypical jibe about locking up my sons , in fact I was rattling collection tins on your behalf decades ago as well as ensuring Minorities were better represented in the Trade union which at one time employed me . I say all of this not as an attempt to virtue signal but simply to give you an indication of where I am coming from on this non issue .

Thanks for your tolerance and support for my prospective New Avatar , its greatly appreciated .