Saturday 25th January - The day has arrived for my return.

huami

Featured Posts

55 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

If you must rename your boat, please do it properly, or catastrophe could occur!

Nah, only applies to proper boats.

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

“Oh mighty and great ruler of the seas and oceans, to whom all ships and we who venture upon your vast domain are required to pay homage, implore you in your graciousness to expunge for all time from your records and recollection the name (old name) which has ceased to be an entity in your kingdom. As proof thereof, we submit this ingot bearing her name to be corrupted through your powers and forever be purged from the sea.”

"Oh timid and meek overseer of the ditches and locks, to whom some inland skip captains venture upon your muddy three foot depths and are required to pay a huge license fee for the privilege, implore you in your grumpiness to expunge for all time  the ships name,together with the weed that clings tenaciously to her bottom. As proof thereof, we submit this old license disc bearing her name. Please dispose of it in an environmentally friendly manner and expunge from history any loans or liens against said vessel so I cannot be held accountable."

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Boater Sam said:

About your new boat name.

As you are OK displaying your sexuality I hope that you do not get too many homophobic remarks.

You have been away for some considerable time, consider please.

This is not Thailand where sexual orientation is an open book, Britain is still populated with folk who may take exception to GayZing and the rainbow. And act accordingly towards you.

Why put yourself up as an Aunt Sally?

Whilst this seems a sad statement nevertheless it is true. It would be lovely to kid ourselves that it is not but if you do a lot of cruising like as not you will come across some eejuts who take exception.

On a more practical note, the old name can’t just be painted over, unless you want it strikingly visible under new paint. The whole panel needs repainting after the old name has been completely removed. Just saying.....good luck with the project, though it all looks a bit precipitate to my old eyes....

14 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Alternatively, you can just log into your account at CRT and change it there.

Party pooper!

10 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Whilst this seems a sad statement nevertheless it is true. It would be lovely to kid ourselves that it is not but if you do a lot of cruising like as not you will come across some eejuts who take exception.

Eejuts will always be eejuts.  They'll find something.  I say, be proud of who you are and cover your boat with rainbows if you wish.  If we all stay timid, the eejuts win.

• Greenie 2

2 minutes ago, dave moore said:

On a more practical note, the old name can’t just be painted over, unless you want it strikingly visible under new paint. The whole panel needs repainting after the old name has been completely removed. Just saying.....good luck with the project, though it all looks a bit precipitate to my old eyes....

Indeed, and then it is likely that the new panel will stick out like a sore thumb against the faded paint on the rest of the boat.

It was for this reason that I waited five and a half years to change the "home port" on my boat and and had It repainted and sign written at the same time.

2 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Indeed, and then it is likely that the new panel will stick out like a sore thumb against the faded paint on the rest of the boat.

It was for this reason that I waited five and a half years to change the "home port" on my boat and and had It repainted and sign written at the same time.

I saw a Bloke a month or so ago apply some Vinyl Lettering using a Hairdryer  , to be fair it went on ok and wasn't a bad job , of course it was a comparatively new sailaway which made all the difference

9 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Party pooper!

Eejuts will always be eejuts.  They'll find something.  I say, be proud of who you are and cover your boat with rainbows if you wish.  If we all stay timid, the eejuts win.

I agree but if this bloke is cruising on his own and somewhere vulnerable real world means he and or his property could come to some harm I would love to think this wasnt true but its a fact.

23 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Are there some assumptions being made here, or is it I have just led a very sheltered life ?

verb (used without object), gazed, gazing.

to look steadily and intently, as with great curiosity, interest, pleasure, or wonder.

noun

a steady or intent look.

Gazing, Gayzing, there is the difference.

2 minutes ago, Mike Hurley said:

Gazing, Gayzing, there is the difference.

Thank you - Good point.

Urban Slang Dictionary suggests "the activity of watching gay people"

I've had a sheltered life and not kept up with all these modernisms.

I didn't even know what tbf was until recently when @Tumshie helped me out.

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

Thank you - Good point.

I fear the OP may have led a sheltered life also , especially when he starts traversing the System

14 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Thank you - Good point.

Don't check the urban dictionary on Parahandy's boat name, WotEver you do.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Parahandy said:

I fear the OP may have led a sheltered life also , especially when he starts traversing the System

I would re-think the name for your own safety, the world does not need to know. Tolerance only goes so far, we all know religion exists but not many people look forward to a  knock on the door on a Sunday morning to tell you all about their imaginary friend.

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

One Swallow doesn't make a Summer.

AH …………….. OK I found it.

What guidelines are there as to which Dictionary should be used for any particular conversation ?

Its like English but not as I know it.

12 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Let's also hope Rusty doesn't play the trombone, or wear a sherrif's badge...

4 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

I don’t really agree with all the old fossils on here telling the OP he must pretend to be something he isn’t. That is what caused the problem in the first place. We have from time to time flown a rainbow flag and it has never been an issue. As to the name, the average homophobic grunt is barely literate and probably doesn’t understand the difference between gazing and gayzing.

His sexuality is obviously important to the OP so he should be able to declare it if he wishes and not have to hide it in a closet to keep a bunch of dinosaurs happy.

And before you croak out “Yes but WE don’t need to declare our sexuality” I would remind you that the world is full of heterosexuality declarations, you just don’t notice them. If I had a quid for every time some presumptuous numpty asked me how my (nonexistent) wife and kids were, I’d be very rich. It is quite irritating.

Flippin eck, I'm agreeing with NN!

• Haha 1
  • Horror 1

Just now, doratheexplorer said:

No sheriffs badge, but I do have a spiderman outfit.

Screenshot 2020-01-29 at 10.12.59 AM.png

4 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Now, I think I must have had a sheltered life too after looking them up!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

I think this post says more about boater sam than it does about anything else, but I can understand his concern, as a man who needs to have half the forum on ignore he's obviously a little fragile when I comes to other people's opinions. :giggles:

Parahandy's post #57 wasn't much better before he wisely chose to delete it.

8 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Parahandy's post #57 wasn't much better before he wisely chose to delete it.

Weeeell, it's a fine line to walk when you're trying to set the cat among the pigeons and pretend you're completely innocent, I suppose there must be the odd time you tip your hand. 

Welcome indeed! 

Re: the boat name... I have a mooring on a marina where the warden lives with his husband. The newest-but-us people to move on are two chaps renting their first home together. Our local pub has very 'liberated' caberet in the upstairs room. And there are semi-regular bbqs hosted by the local gay boaters Facebook group (of which I'm a member) about three marinas along the canal. This is in a metropolis mind. 

I rarely venture into The Provinces (although I really genuinely appreciate the advice and humour of the nearly dead straight white men on here) but there is a YouTube channel of a middle aged (presumably) gay couple in a boat called something like 'The Silver Foxes' who seem to cruise (that is a boating term) in all sorts of places. I've no idea what their reception is generally like but they do seem to keep doing it. Likewise the two wives who have a YouTube channel (altho I think they may be closer to a city?). 

Boats regularly have names tangentially referencing heterosexuality (wives and daughter's names, references to various kinds of 'Lady/Lass' and so forth). My new boat now has a unique name referencing something that means a lot to me (altho not who I do or don't get jiggy with) . Expressing yourself is healthy. 

Have fun

xx

• Greenie 1