Saturday 25th January - The day has arrived for my return.

huami

Featured Posts

I'm waiting for the bit where the new boat is reported stolen by the OP when either the bf or the 'cruising friend' (I can't remember what the term was for the hypothetical freeloader who wd help with locks was) sails off (at 4mph) in a huff. Be better than zomboat AND the royal family.

FWIW I think the OP should buy the white wood boat from the other thread because livaboard layout matters,

• Haha 1

On 16/01/2020 at 23:10, Gayzingalone said:

Hi dmr, ABNB is on my list of marinas and boat yards to visit.

I think I would change the name of the company if it was me as every Google search said was I looking for AirBnB.

Anyway I found them already a few months ago and it looks quite promising.

It stands for Andy Burnett Narrowboat Brokerage. It was founded by Mr.Burnett in the 1990s, he later retired and sold his share in the company so the name was abbreviated.

This is an excellent company with high standards (I speak from personal experience); but do note that they are solidly on the side of their customers whose boats they are selling. So you probably won't find a bargain there but you should find reliable, good quality boats.

Do be aware that, although they will have some boats on display at their Crick H.Q., they also sell boats off the boats' home moorings - indeed they were pioneers in that respect. Whether ABNB will transport you to view such boats I don't know.

Edited by Athy

On 15/01/2020 at 23:58, Gayzingalone said:

Hi Guyz .... At the end of 2019 I joined this forum knowing that I would be returning to the UK after many years living abroad and I have managed to gain lots of very valuable information thanks to your help.
The day has now arrived for my return, and Saturday 25th January I will be visiting a few marinas concentrated in the vicinity of Whilton Marina. I have registered with a few of them and have been able to keep up to date with what is on offer at the moment.
I also may have overcome one of the hurdles I was facing, that of having a registered address to open a bank account. It seems (I await to confirm) that with the HMRC (who pay my state pension) letter that was sent to my (friends) postal address I will be able to open my own bank account.
I will also need (from day one!) a telephone provider and a new UK telephone number. Is there any particular provider that is better for cruisers of the canal network? A couple of times I have seen mention of "three" and of course I would also need internet availability on the boat. 
Once again, I would like to thank you all for your help and advice in the past and I look forward to your further help when I arrive.
Whilton will be my first point of call on the early morning of Saturday 25th January so if you see a strange (suntanned) face looking around the boats or (I've heard they do a good breakfast!) in the cafe please do say hello and let me buy you a coffee (or tea!).

Neil

Edited by Parahandy

3 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

And........ Drum roll. Which boat is it then? 

Good grief Beagle, he's only just signed in -  not much squeaks past you. 

Well - Whatcha bought then? Piccies, we need piccies. :D

Edited by Tumshie

I am so pleased for you and rather impressed that it all went so smoothly, I'm sure you're going to be quite busy getting things together so we might not hear from you for a day or two (:D) but all the best and lots of warm wishes to you. 

:cheers:

Tumsh. 

Edited by Tumshie
Far too many quites.

17 minutes ago, Gayzingalone said:

............and is at this moment being "blacked" with a two part epoxy resin.

Well done Neil.

.......are you sure it is warm enough to be 2 packing today/ tomorrow. Tell them to delay until Friday when it gets warmer.

7 hours ago, Gayzingalone said:

Hi guys.... I 'm here! .....  so I finally arrived, and before you say it, yes it is a bit cooler (about 36 degrees cooler!), but I have bought a scarf to wear with my tanga!

I am very happy to be back home and have even managed to open a bank account. 

I have also already bought a boat that I am very pleased with. I have bought the nb Hosanna with a very good offer and deal from Whilton Marina. I won't go into details other than to say that I was very happy with the reception and deal that I was offered and I was very happy with the quality of service from the moment I arrived. 
The boat is undergoing a full independent survey and is at this moment being "blacked" with a two part epoxy resin.
I'm hoping to move on board sometime around 10th February, so if you are anywhere in or near Whilton marina then please come calling and let me offer you a drink. 

I will be changing the name of the boat from Hosanna to "GayZing" as soon as I can get the old name painted out, so keep your eyes open. 

Please keep in touch as I'm sure I will need to ask you many more questions and for your valuable advice in the near future..... and I look forward to meeting lots of new friends. 

Wishing you all a great day...

Neil
Ps. Photos will follow soon..

I know the Boat you have purchased , it was owned by two old Friends of mine Harvey and Jane who are now into their eighties and have decided Boating is nowadays a bit of a struggle . The Boat spent all of its life Moored at the end of their Garden in Bletchley Milton Keynes and in reality never did much cruising , it was more of a Weekend Boat rather than a Liveaboard and was specced accordingly . I wont tell you how much Whilton gave them for it , as a Man who seems to revel in displaying your Sexuality to People completely disinterested you wont mind me saying it was little enough to turn you straight . ?

Edited by Parahandy

About your new boat name.

As you are OK displaying your sexuality I hope that you do not get too many homophobic remarks.

You have been away for some considerable time, consider please.

This is not Thailand where sexual orientation is an open book, Britain is still populated with folk who may take exception to GayZing and the rainbow. And act accordingly towards you.

Why put yourself up as an Aunt Sally?

• Happy 1
  • Unimpressed 1

If you must rename your boat, please do it properly, or catastrophe could occur!

According to legend, every boat has its name recorded in the Ledger of the Deep. Further, the name of each vessel is personally known by Poseidon, the Greek god of the sea, or Neptune, the Roman god of the sea. So in order to change the name of the boat, you must remove the name from the Ledger of the Deep or from the memory of Poseidon or Neptune.

Purging Ceremony

Removing All Traces of the Name

Before the purging ceremony can take place, the owner must cleanse the boat of its former name. All traces of the boat’s former name must be removed from the boat. This includes any log books, engine and maintenance records, or the like that might have the boat’s old name written on it.

Purging Ceremony

Once the name has been completely removed from the boat, it’s time for the purging ceremony to take place. The first part of the ceremony is preparation. The old name of the boat must be written on a metal tag in water-soluble ink. Two bottles of champagne are also needed for the ceremony.

With the metal tag and champagne bottle close by, the following must be recited.

“Oh mighty and great ruler of the seas and oceans, to whom all ships and we who venture upon your vast domain are required to pay homage, implore you in your graciousness to expunge for all time from your records and recollection the name (old name) which has ceased to be an entity in your kingdom. As proof thereof, we submit this ingot bearing her name to be corrupted through your powers and forever be purged from the sea.”

The metal tag that has the boat’s old name written on it is then dropped into the water from the bow of the boat and the following is recited.

“In grateful acknowledgement of your munificence and dispensation, we offer these libations to your majesty and your court.”

At this point, the first bottle of champagne is used. At least half of the bottle should be poured into the water from east to west. The remaining champagne can be passed around and consumed by the guests at the ceremony.

Renaming Ceremony

Once the purging ceremony is finished, it’s time for the renaming ceremony. An important aspect is that the renaming ceremony must be done after the purging ceremony. While it can be done any time after the purging ceremony, it’s recommended that it be done immediately after.

The first step of the renaming ceremony is to, again, call on the gods of the sea.

“Oh mighty and great ruler of the seas and oceans, to whom all ships and we who venture upon your vast domain are required to pay homage, implore you in your graciousness to take upon your records and recollection this worthy vessel hereafter and for all time known as (new name), guarding her with your mighty arm and trident and ensuring her of safe and rapid passage throughout her journeys within your realm.”

“In appreciation of your munificence, dispensation, and in honor of your greatness, we offer these libations to your majesty and your court.”

At this point in the ceremony, it’s time to offer the Champagne to the gods of the sea once again. To do this, a bottle of Champagne is poured into the sea from west to east. One glass is offered for the master while a second glass is offered for the mate.

With the gods of the sea appeased, it’s time to honor the gods of the wind. There are four gods of the wind which guide each direction of north, south, east, and west. Because the four gods are all brothers, they can be invoked simultaneously but they must also be addressed individually.

“Oh mighty rulers of the winds, through whose power our frail vessels traverse the wild and faceless deep, we implore you to grant this worthy vessel (new name) the benefits and pleasures of your bounty, ensuring us of your gentle ministration according to our needs.”

The first individual to be address is Boreas, the god of north wind. Facing north, Champagne should be poured into a champagne flute and thrown north as the following is recited.

“Great Boreas, exalted ruler of the north wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your frigid breath.”

The next god to address is Zephyrus, the god of the west wind. The same process is executed except to the west with the following recited.

“Great Zephyrus, exalted ruler of the West Wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your wild breath.”

The third god to be addressed is Eurus, the ruler of the east wind. Again, the same process is executed but to the east with the following being recited.

“Great Eurus, exalted ruler of the East Wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your mighty breath.”

Finally, Notus, the god of the south wind is addressed. Once again, the same process is executed and the following recited.

“Great Notus, exalted ruler of the South Wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your scalding breath.”

Once the renaming ceremony has finished, the boat is safe to be renamed and any objects with the new name may be brought onto the boat. Typically, the name won’t be written on the boat until after the ceremony has taken place but if it must be done prior to the ceremony, it’s acceptable to do so as long as the name is covered by bunting or some other material so it’s not revealed until after the ceremony.

https://321boat.com/the-superstition-of-renaming-a-boat/

• Greenie 1

51 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

If you must rename your boat, please do it properly, or catastrophe could occur!

According to legend, every boat has its name recorded in the Ledger of the Deep. Further, the name of each vessel is personally known by Poseidon, the Greek god of the sea, or Neptune, the Roman god of the sea. So in order to change the name of the boat, you must remove the name from the Ledger of the Deep or from the memory of Poseidon or Neptune.

Purging Ceremony

Removing All Traces of the Name

Before the purging ceremony can take place, the owner must cleanse the boat of its former name. All traces of the boat’s former name must be removed from the boat. This includes any log books, engine and maintenance records, or the like that might have the boat’s old name written on it.

Purging Ceremony

Once the name has been completely removed from the boat, it’s time for the purging ceremony to take place. The first part of the ceremony is preparation. The old name of the boat must be written on a metal tag in water-soluble ink. Two bottles of champagne are also needed for the ceremony.

With the metal tag and champagne bottle close by, the following must be recited.

“Oh mighty and great ruler of the seas and oceans, to whom all ships and we who venture upon your vast domain are required to pay homage, implore you in your graciousness to expunge for all time from your records and recollection the name (old name) which has ceased to be an entity in your kingdom. As proof thereof, we submit this ingot bearing her name to be corrupted through your powers and forever be purged from the sea.”

The metal tag that has the boat’s old name written on it is then dropped into the water from the bow of the boat and the following is recited.

“In grateful acknowledgement of your munificence and dispensation, we offer these libations to your majesty and your court.”

At this point, the first bottle of champagne is used. At least half of the bottle should be poured into the water from east to west. The remaining champagne can be passed around and consumed by the guests at the ceremony.

Renaming Ceremony

Once the purging ceremony is finished, it’s time for the renaming ceremony. An important aspect is that the renaming ceremony must be done after the purging ceremony. While it can be done any time after the purging ceremony, it’s recommended that it be done immediately after.

The first step of the renaming ceremony is to, again, call on the gods of the sea.

“Oh mighty and great ruler of the seas and oceans, to whom all ships and we who venture upon your vast domain are required to pay homage, implore you in your graciousness to take upon your records and recollection this worthy vessel hereafter and for all time known as (new name), guarding her with your mighty arm and trident and ensuring her of safe and rapid passage throughout her journeys within your realm.”

“In appreciation of your munificence, dispensation, and in honor of your greatness, we offer these libations to your majesty and your court.”

At this point in the ceremony, it’s time to offer the Champagne to the gods of the sea once again. To do this, a bottle of Champagne is poured into the sea from west to east. One glass is offered for the master while a second glass is offered for the mate.

With the gods of the sea appeased, it’s time to honor the gods of the wind. There are four gods of the wind which guide each direction of north, south, east, and west. Because the four gods are all brothers, they can be invoked simultaneously but they must also be addressed individually.

“Oh mighty rulers of the winds, through whose power our frail vessels traverse the wild and faceless deep, we implore you to grant this worthy vessel (new name) the benefits and pleasures of your bounty, ensuring us of your gentle ministration according to our needs.”

The first individual to be address is Boreas, the god of north wind. Facing north, Champagne should be poured into a champagne flute and thrown north as the following is recited.

“Great Boreas, exalted ruler of the north wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your frigid breath.”

The next god to address is Zephyrus, the god of the west wind. The same process is executed except to the west with the following recited.

“Great Zephyrus, exalted ruler of the West Wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your wild breath.”

The third god to be addressed is Eurus, the ruler of the east wind. Again, the same process is executed but to the east with the following being recited.

“Great Eurus, exalted ruler of the East Wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your mighty breath.”

Finally, Notus, the god of the south wind is addressed. Once again, the same process is executed and the following recited.

“Great Notus, exalted ruler of the South Wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your scalding breath.”

Once the renaming ceremony has finished, the boat is safe to be renamed and any objects with the new name may be brought onto the boat. Typically, the name won’t be written on the boat until after the ceremony has taken place but if it must be done prior to the ceremony, it’s acceptable to do so as long as the name is covered by bunting or some other material so it’s not revealed until after the ceremony.

https://321boat.com/the-superstition-of-renaming-a-boat/

Alternatively, you can just log into your account at CRT and change it there.

• Happy 1
  • Haha 1