Saturday 25th January - The day has arrived for my return.

huami

Featured Posts

Hi Guyz .... At the end of 2019 I joined this forum knowing that I would be returning to the UK after many years living abroad and I have managed to gain lots of very valuable information thanks to your help.
The day has now arrived for my return, and Saturday 25th January I will be visiting a few marinas concentrated in the vicinity of Whilton Marina. I have registered with a few of them and have been able to keep up to date with what is on offer at the moment.
I also may have overcome one of the hurdles I was facing, that of having a registered address to open a bank account. It seems (I await to confirm) that with the HMRC (who pay my state pension) letter that was sent to my (friends) postal address I will be able to open my own bank account.
I will also need (from day one!) a telephone provider and a new UK telephone number. Is there any particular provider that is better for cruisers of the canal network? A couple of times I have seen mention of "three" and of course I would also need internet availability on the boat. 
Once again, I would like to thank you all for your help and advice in the past and I look forward to your further help when I arrive.
Whilton will be my first point of call on the early morning of Saturday 25th January so if you see a strange (suntanned) face looking around the boats or (I've heard they do a good breakfast!) in the cafe please do say hello and let me buy you a coffee (or tea!).

Neil

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, Gayzingalone said:

I will also need (from day one!) a telephone provider and a new UK telephone number. Is there any particular provider that is better for cruisers of the canal network? A couple of times I have seen mention of "three" and of course I would also need internet availability on the boat. 

The EE network is regarded as the best for coverage on the canals, but is quite expensive (for comparable package deals) compared to Three, the second best coverage on the canals.

Your "best" coverage depends on the signal where you keep/moor your boat - if you can't get a Three signal, you might get an EE signal, or vice versa.

I just use Three, and if I can't get a signal I keep moving until I can.  Other people have both EE and Three SIMs and switch between them depending on where they are moored.

If you are intending to move around the network,  I would recommend getting a Three SIM and consider getting an EE SIM if you can't get a signal where you want one.  Other people will no doubt recommend doing it the other way round!

4 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

The EE network is regarded as the best for coverage on the canals, but is quite expensive (for comparable package deals) compared to Three, the second best coverage on the canals.

Your "best" coverage depends on the signal where you keep/moor your boat - if you can't get a Three signal, you might get an EE signal, or vice versa.

I just use Three, and if I can't get a signal I keep moving until I can.  Other people have both EE and Three SIMs and switch between them depending on where they are moored.

If you are intending to move around the network,  I would recommend getting a Three SIM and consider getting an EE SIM if you can't get a signal where you want one.  Other people will no doubt recommend doing it the other way round!

Hi Biscuits ..... Thanks for the info. My Samsung phone does have the ability for dual sim so your suggestions sounds like a good idea.
Have a great day...

Neil

4 minutes ago, Gayzingalone said:

The day has now arrived for my return, and Saturday 25th January

Just in time for haggis :D (Burns Night not forum member Haggis :huh:)

I'm with EE and I've never really had a problem regardless of where I am but there will always be somewhere you can't get a signal. 

One of the reasons you hear 3 mentioned so often is because they do and package called 'all you can eat' which basically gives you unlimited data for your internet usage. 

http://www.store-3.co.uk/threes-all-you-can-eat-data-plans.html

Then you need to have something to use as a router, some people have a phone that they use as a hot spot and some use a little myfi device, what ever you use it probbly can't be something you need to hand because it will have to be next to a window or out in the cratch or it won't get a signal through the steel of the boat. 

I had and absolutely fabulous Huawei mobile wifi device that I used as a hot spot router thingy but I don't know what people are thinking about Huawei these days. 

Anyway - Good luck and good hunting, hope it's fun and goes well. :hug:

2 hours ago, Tumshie said:

Anyway - Good luck and good hunting, hope it's fun and goes well. :hug:

Thanks Tumsh .....
Every snippet of information is valuable to me as I have been out of the country for quite a while (nearly 50 years!).
Thanks also for the link to 3 store.
I hope to catch up with you sometime ..

Have a lovely day,

Neil

Are you going to have to pass a Habitual Residency Test? My friend back from the Philippines had to after 23 years out. But he needed housing benefits etc.

Nationwide Building Society are very easy to get a bank account with he found.

EE network works for me, via ASDA its cheaper I think.

Most Libraries are able to help with re-establishing yourself in the UK.

3 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

Are you going to have to pass a Habitual Residency Test? My friend back from the Philippines had to after 23 years out. But he needed housing benefits etc.

No, but I wouldn't know how to spell it anyway! .... I'm actually bringing money to put on my bank account.

Nationwide Building Society are very easy to get a bank account with he found.

Thanks for the thumbs up  ... I will bear that in mind if RBS doesn't work out.

EE network works for me, via ASDA its cheaper I think.

Ok, thanks for the info!

Most Libraries are able to help with re-establishing yourself in the UK.
Interesting! ....  I will definitely check that out ...

Thanks again and have a great day ..

Neil

I used a Three shop, excellent advice £20pcm unlimited internet £20 and lots on the phone for £13.

I bought a Huwai with ariel sockets , not needed where I am, it cost £110, works everywhere inside boat 97% of the time. 3% NO SERVICE or weak signal.

PS please link to a few boats.

PPS have you got an independant surveyor lined up?

Edited by LadyG

2 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I used a Three shop, excellent advice £20pcm unlimited internet £20 and lots on the phone for £13.

I bought a Huwai with ariel sockets , not needed where I am, it cost £110, works everywhere inside boat 97% of the time.

PS please link to a few boats.

PPS have you got an independant surveyor lined up?

Hi Lady G, and nice to see you again, you certainly are an early bird as I think it must be about 4am in the morning?
Three is looking good I think but I will find out when I get there. As for the boats and a surveyor, I haven't got anything lined up yet, but I will be treading carefully.
My preferred destination is Whilton marina as they have been very informative and helpful when I have called them, but time will tell. They also seem to have quite a selection at the moment for under the 50,000.

I look forward to seeing you somewhere in the future, and thanks again for your very valuable input.

Have a lovely day,

Neil

I use Three and have travelled the length and breadth of the network with mostly good signal, and I generally moor out in the sticks. £20 per month covers all my phone and internet requirements, including hotspot to tablet and laptop.

Edited by rgreg

47 minutes ago, rgreg said:

I use Three and have travelled the length and breadth of the network with mostly good signal, and I generally moor out in the sticks. £20 per month covers all my phone and internet requirements, including hotspot to tablet and laptop.

9 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Plusnet uses the EE network and is about half the price

1 hour ago, doratheexplorer said:

Bring a coat!

Hi again ....  Lovely to hear from you. I have a shopping day planned for my arrival day as I only have one pair of long trousers (Jeans). One long sleeved shirt and a rather thin woolen jumper (Ohhh, and no socks!). Thailand has been shorts and tee-shirt ....  that's it!

Have a lovely day

Neil

1 hour ago, rgreg said:

Hi Greg ... Three certainly seems the way to go but as my phone has slots for dual sim I could always get another one should I need it.
I also want to moor "out in the sticks" so who knows we might pass each other somewhere.

Have a great day,
Neil

Neil, what are your thoughts on your 'target' boat? Let us know what you are after i.e. Budget and you may get some suggestions on boats to look at in the area. There are loads of marinas not far from Whilton and the boat for you could be hiding in one of them!

19 minutes ago, Gayzingalone said:

Hi again ....  Lovely to hear from you. I have a shopping day planned for my arrival day as I only have one pair of long trousers (Jeans). One long sleeved shirt and a rather thin woolen jumper (Ohhh, and no socks!). Thailand has been shorts and tee-shirt ....  that's it!

Have a lovely day

Neil

Serious question:  what do you wear for weddings/funerals/job interviews?

5 hours ago, Gayzingalone said:

My preferred destination is Whilton marina as they have been very informative and helpful when I have called them, but time will tell. They also seem to have quite a selection at the moment for under the 50,000.

Do bear in mind that Whilton (like used car dealers) are very skilled at pricing their boats at the very top end of what the market will pay. So although you get to see a good selection, none will be a bargain and you'll be paying slightly over the odds for it.

I'm not saying this is a bad thing if speed of purchase is more important to you than paying a little too much, but just thought I should point it out. If you have the time and inclination (I suspect not), some more determined hunting will be needed to find a keenly-priced boat, you won't find one in Whilton. In fact after visiting Whilton, you'll find pretty much any other boat you look at for sale will seem cheap!

Do keep us informed.... 

• Greenie 3

12 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Do bear in mind that Whilton (like used car dealers) are very skilled at pricing their boats at the very top end of what the market will pay. So although you get to see a good selection, none will be a bargain and you'll be paying slightly over the odds for it.

I'm not saying this is a bad thing if speed of purchase is more important to you than paying a little too much, but just thought I should point it out. If you have the time and inclination (I suspect not), some more determined hunting will be needed to find a keenly-priced boat, you won't find one in Whilton. In fact after visiting Whilton, you'll find pretty much any other boat you look at for sale will seem cheap!

Do keep us informed.... 

I echo what Mike says about Whilton. It is a good place to go to see the range of boats available. When we bought our boat 3 years ago, we had been looking at boats for around a couple of months. We were based in Cardiff and came up to Warwickshire for a couple of days. We saw what looked like a great boat in Wigrams turn marina....but was surprised we had to make a booking to see it- non of the 'just turn up!'....... we hummed and ha'ed. We then went off to Whilton and within 5 mins of looking at all their boats with a handful of keys, we were on the phone to Wigrams to buy the first one.  Never looked back. My opinion is the only thing going for Whilton is convenience which in some cases IS the overriding thing. 

It is a good place to start but then look at Crick, Braunston, Wigrams and Dunchurch amongst others. 

There a few nicely finished boats on ABNB at the moment. You need not buy a boat for life, just make sure you pay a sensible price, don't compromise on interior finish if you like nice things.

Edited by LadyG

27 minutes ago, LadyG said:

There a few nicely finished boats on ABNB at the moment. You need not buy a boat for life, just make sure you pay a sensible price, don't compromise on interior finish if you like nice things.

There are always nice boats for sale at ABNB, thats what they sell ?

12 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

Serious question:  what do you wear for weddings/funerals/job interviews?

Hi Doratheexplorer,
Weddings in Thailand (and funerals) everyone wears shorts and tee-shirt!
Job interviews I don't do (I stopped working 14 years ago!).
My long jeans were for visits to immigration. 

Temperature here today is about 39 degrees!

Have a great day
Neil

5 hours ago, BWM said:

If you have the facility for a dual sim, Giffgaff paired with EE is hard to beat for complete coverage. 

Hi BWM .... 
Thanks for your input, which sounds like positive advice.

I just checked out their website and it looks interesting.

Have a lovely day,

Neil

• Happy 1