Temp sender

Carl123

Featured Posts

15791093232061264273096.jpg.1bd9c5a5519552ae073a222792c30622.jpg15791093232061264273096.jpg.1bd9c5a5519552ae073a222792c30622.jpg15791094695311177752087.jpg.2169a6b14cdda7c83bc6a44ee22b9595.jpgHi. I have just took the water temp sender out of 1.8 bmc diesel I tried to get one some one said it was 1/2 bsp then took it to shop to get one they said it was unf. It's got to contacts on the top any idea. We're to get one from or can I convert. It to a modern sender thanks 

A temperature sensor also has to be correctly matched to the sender in use, or the gauge may not read correctly.

I also think I have only seen sensors with a single terminal on BMC B series engines, and that having 2 terminals may be unusual.  (I might be wrong though!)

What is the temperature gauge? Who made it? A picture would be good. Front side and any writing on the back. It may be possible to work backwards and deduce the sender from that. Do you have a vernier caliper by any chance. The outside diameter and pitch of the threads would help decide if it is BSP, or UNF. Or try running it in to a 1/2"BSP threaded something. Any suitable plumbing  fitting, which will confirm it is that or not.

Jenny

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

I doubt it’s 1/2 bsp they are often NPT which are very similar but slightly different thread. I have seen the strong in arm weak in head make them fit.... 

as Jen says try it in a proper BSP fitting. There are two specs for senders euro and us and the sender and gauge need to match. 

personally I would order a new gauge and sender off fleabay for about a fiver and and adapter for the sender if it’s not the right thread.

is there a separate sender for the temperature warning light ? 

9 hours ago, StephenA said:

Looks like one of these

Which is a domestic temp sensor from a central heating system

TempSender.jpg

True, but ASAP supplies do supply a whole range of ones that look very similar for marine use, such as this one....

ke00021.jpg

Available in a number of thread sizes.  However most seem to be only in US spec, so unless OP knows his gauge is a US rather than a Euro one they may not work, even if a match is achieved on thread.

9 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Is he sure its a temperature sender? It looks a bit like a Landy type cooling fan switch to me.

Could the OP tell us what colour wires are going to the sender? There is always the possibility that they follow the old British Standard for car wiring colours. The loom for a 1.8BMC I helped with did. This may determine if it is the water temperature sender.

Jen

10 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Could the OP tell us what colour wires are going to the sender? There is always the possibility that they follow the old British Standard for car wiring colours. The loom for a 1.8BMC I helped with did. This may determine if it is the water temperature sender.

Jen

It could even be a hi temp alarm and a temp gauge sender combined like Beta fit

58 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

It could even be a hi temp alarm and a temp gauge sender combined like Beta fit

A possibility. Comparing wire colours at the sender plug and where they go in to gauges and warning lights may give more clues.If the loom is home made, or has been seriously hacked about, then who knows!

Jen

13 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Jen

Hi I'll have a look at the wires and see what colors. They are the boat was built 1980 ish