Historic Boats on Father Brown

pig

Featured Posts

Yesterday's episode of Father Brown (BBC1 2.15pm) featured historic narrowboat pair, Nuneaton and Brighton.

The story involved a murder, and one of the crew of the boats was prime suspect.

The programme is on iPlayer if anyone's interested:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000dcgm/father-brown-series-8-7-the-river-corrupted

I was trying to place where the filming was done: anyone?

Blast! We missed it, even though we had been looking out for it.

It it's the same episode, they were filming it just above the narrows (where, I assume, a lift bridge used to be) above Cropredy lock either just before or just after the festival. We gongoozled for a little while and met Mark Williams (Father Brown) and Jack Deam (police inspector).

4 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

The episode? As of today it will be available on iPlayer for 29 days. 

I'm not sure we have one of those, but I'll ask the Supreme Televisual Commander when she gets home from work.

3 minutes ago, Athy said:

I'm not sure we have one of those, but I'll ask the Supreme Televisual Commander when she gets home from work.

Just click on the link already posted, and you can watch it on your PC.

5 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Just click on the link already posted, and you can watch it on your PC.

Yes, I have skimmed through it - enough to establish that it is indeed Cropredy - but Mrs. Athy will want to watch it too, so I hope she can conjure it up on the T.V.

3 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

The iPlayer isn't something you have, it's something you access like a public library but for BBC TV. :)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer

Fascinating. I have vaguely heard of them, but assumed that they were something like an I-Pod or I-Phone, i.e. a physical object rather than just a channel. But I assume that not all tellies have this facility. Ours is a quite modern flat-screen model, so perhaps it has.

Edited by Athy

21 minutes ago, Athy said:

It it's the same episode, they were filming it just above the narrows (where, I assume, a lift bridge used to be) above Cropredy lock either just before or just after the festival. We gongoozled for a little while and met Mark Williams (Father Brown) and Jack Deam (police inspector).

Who should know all about working historic boats since he was with the Mikron Theatre Company for the 1983-5 seasons. I believe he also had previous family canal boating experience.

15 minutes ago, Athy said:

Yes, I have skimmed through it - enough to establish that it is indeed Cropredy - but Mrs. Athy will want to watch it too, so I hope she can conjure it up on the T.V.

Fascinating. I have vaguely heard of them, but assumed that they were something like an I-Pod or I-Phone, i.e. a physical object rather than just a channel. But I assume that not all tellies have this facility. Ours is a quite modern flat-screen model, so perhaps it has.

Yeah - might be best to wait till your wife gets back and she can sort it out for you. ?

5 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Who should know all about working historic boats since he was with the Mikron Theatre Company for the 1983-5 seasons. I believe he also had previous family canal boating experience.

The breadth of knowledge on CWDF never fails to surprise and delight (and no, I'm not taking the Pisces).

Just now, Tumshie said:

Yeah - might be best to wait till your wife gets back and she can sort it out for you. ?

To quote Ike Turner, "Honey, that was my plan from the very beginning". But as I mentioned, she'll want to watch it too, so it wouldn't make sense for me to watch it before her return from Cantab.

33 minutes ago, David Mack said:

He’s done a few “industrial history” programmes for various channels and seems to relish getting on the tiller given half a chance...and you can see he enjoys it and knows how to handle a working boat with ease. 

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Is that the Police Inspector who thinks he’s a Parrot? Or a Pirate?

3 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

Who are those people?

I would guess that the left-hand one is Mark Williams, now appearing as father Brown.Perhaps it's an early line-up of the Mikron Theatre Company?

Somewhere in our study is the omnibus edition of Chesterton's Father Brown stories. I must dig it out and read them again.

Edited by Athy

1 hour ago, Tumshie said:

Who are those people?

Not sure about the women.

Mark Williams on the left (obviously) and Mike Lucas (cast member 1972 to 1985) on the right.

Mark Williams seems to have been on the cast for three seasons (1983, 1984 & 1985), so the women are presumably amongst those from the cast list for one f those years?

Cast listings here....

https://www.mikron.org.uk/about/all-the-plays-all-the-actors

Edited by alan_fincher
  • Greenie 1

2 hours ago, David Mack said:

We met him many times during his time with Mikron, and had a few drinks together. It seems that he never, ever mentions that time in his career; we've heard him give countless interviews on TV, and last week there was a full-page biography in the Radio Times - he mentions his childhood, his schooldays, his other early acting roles, etc, but never Mikron. I wonder why not?

23 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

We met him many times during his time with Mikron, and had a few drinks together. It seems that he never, ever mentions that time in his career; we've heard him give countless interviews on TV, and last week there was a full-page biography in the Radio Times - he mentions his childhood, his schooldays, his other early acting roles, etc, but never Mikron. I wonder why not?

He has you know. 

https://metro.co.uk/2009/10/27/mark-williams-242175/