Clear Powder Coating on Brass

Featured Posts

When the boat is being painted in the summer all the fittings will be removed and it is an opportunity for us to get the brass refurbished.

I see Procast in Retford offer a service of applying clear powder coating to the polished article and this appeals to us. (we don't really do polishing unless we absolutely have to)

They describe the finish as being slightly duller than freshly polished brass but still bright. They did not have any sample they could show us so I wonder if anyone here has had it done and what their thoughts are on the process. Has it lasted well? does it look good? any pro's and con's?

Our current portholes are the type with a central bar across. Although we were originally just going to get them polished up and new seal fitted it might be a consideration to upgrade to the type where the entire glass opens without the central bar. I do think they are much better but obviously there is some significant inestment needed to replace rather than re-polish.  One of the things about going to Proast is that he has said he can work with the casting of the internal part where the glass falls back to to ensure it fits within out current lining. That is an entire can of worms we don't want to open because the fit out is beautiful and we don't want to disturb it at all. One of the things that concerns me is whether it will all be done in the time we have available to us while the boat is being painted. Probably around a month?

We would be interested to hear others experience of swapping portholes without disturbing the lining and are there other companies we should be in touch with regarding refurbishing the brass on the boat and replacing the ports? 

We have 3 brass Houdini hatches, 4 mushroom vents, 6 portholes and a bullseye to get brought back to a shine.

20200115_080411.jpg

Edited by cheshire~rose

Normal boaters who prefer boating to polishing brass use Incralac or similar, this now comes in spray cans as well as paint on.

It will eventually wear, especially if you use lines over the mushroom/porthole, however, this gives it a shiny/worn look which is quite authentic.

Old Friends mushrooms were last polished 11 years ago, Incralaced,  and except for the one over the pump out vent, look pretty decent still.

I've never polished a posthole, just put in post and concrete.

Seriously, my bronze nav lights were clear coated 14 years ago and they are fine. Not shiny but just bronze colour which is darker than brass.

How do you put the screws back in after powder coating and do you coat the screw heads? I think brass looks better left to mature but then I have very little.

Thanks folks,  Many people with converted boats suggest that they keep the brasswork on the top of the trad cabin buffed but paint the rest which seemed like a plan but with 3 x brass Houdini's that take up a large part of the top of what might be considered "the conversion" that is a lot of brass or paint, whichever we end up choosing and it's going to make a difference to the aesthetics of the end result.

We can't powder coat the Houdini's anyway so perhaps Inralac is the way forward

2 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

I have an ex RN ships clock in Brass. Also a matching Barometer. I say brass, they could be brass coated. 

Anyway, they are both suffering from dullness. If just coated, can these be recoated?

Which wardroom did you nick those from ?