Making a flue..........

Featured Posts

Right, is an 18V rechargeable drill man enough to drill through the roof ? Having trouble finding somebody to do it (nearby) so might have a go.

No mains electricity.

Anybody recommend a brand of drill bits that can do the job ? Saw some in Homebase for 45 quid, saw some online for 15 quid.

6 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I had trouble with a mains drill and a hole saw drilling a flue sized hole in our roof. I used the 1000 hole method and a file in the end. A jigsaw probably would have been better.

Did you regret doing this way ?!

I have cut 3mm steel (and brass) with a jigsaw. Use fine tooth metal blades (Screwfix or Toolstation) and be prepared to replace the blade if necessary, although you should manage a single chimney sized hole with one.

The fence on my jigsaw has a hole which allows you to put a bolt through a small drilling in the centre of the planned flue hole to give you a perfect circle, and no need for cleaning up with a file afterwards.

Just now, NewCanalBoy said:

Did you regret doing this way ?!

It worked out ok. It was obviously harder work than the jigsaw method. I think the trouble was,the hole saw wasn't the best, it was a pretty cheap one.It got about halfway through ok (on a slow speed with oil), which, of course gave me a nice circle to finish it off with the 1000 hole method. The result was a nice clean hole.

I don't know if a 45 quid hole saw would have made the difference or not.

A great lump of steel tube resting on top of the stove or sitting on a stub of cast iron pipe exiting from the rear of a stove is heavy and in my opinion a bit risky. Every one that I have ever installed I have fixed to the cabin side using a thing for supporting pipes from a builders merchanthttps://www.glowing-embers.co.uk/ChimneyAndFlues/StovePipe-VitreousEnamelled/EnamelFluePipe-TraditionalFit/6150mmEnamelFluePipe/6150mmAdjustableWallBracket-Galvanised?m1track=googlebase&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvt-t2o-45wIVzLHtCh11mwpQEAQYAyABEgJjWvD_BwE#SingleWallExport&source=googlepaid&campaignid=243331116&adgroupid=63594650630&keywordid=pla-550378659794&locationid=9074305&matchtype=&network=g&device=c&devicemodel=&adid=296205293252&keyword=&productid={productid}&campaigntype=&adposition=1o3

Well that looks like a huge link. Perhaps its best just to google Adjustable galvanised wall bracket,

10 minutes ago, Bee said:

A great lump of steel tube resting on top of the stove or sitting on a stub of cast iron pipe exiting from the rear of a stove is heavy and in my opinion a bit risky.

I decided the same, so used a big cast iron munsen ring.

38 minutes ago, Bee said:

A great lump of steel tube resting on top of the stove or sitting on a stub of cast iron pipe exiting from the rear of a stove is heavy and in my opinion a bit risky. Every one that I have ever installed I have fixed to the cabin side using a thing for supporting pipes from a builders merchant.

The bracket linked looks quite flimsy. Fine for holding the flue the desired distance away from the cabin side, but I can't see it taking the weight of the flue pipe without sagging and putting the weight back on the top of the stove. I suspect bolts through the top of the flue into tapped holes in the chimney collar would be more effective.

Edited by David Mack

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

The bracket linked looks quite flimsy. Fine for holding the flue the desired distance away from the cabin side, but I can't see it taking the weight of the flue pipe without sagging and putting the weight back on the top of the stove. I suspect bolts through the top of the flue into tapped holes in the chimney collar would be more effective.

Surely that would cause any expansion of the flue to push down onto the stove? The flue should be able to move within the collar. 

I agree. Its not really up to suspending the weight of the chimney but it gives a bit of support. I think a lot of stoves are probably designed for installing in fireplaces where they just have a bit of pipe poking up through a plate into old brick chimney which I guess has a stainless chimney liner in it. We tend to have a weighty chimney in a sort of 'Z' shape arranged at an angle and subject to vibration and occasional shocks as we clout things. It just seems that a bit of support makes sense, especially if the flue exits the back of the fire.