Do people really do this?

Featured Posts

So, I received an offer on my old boat (after the first viewing - yay!), unfortunately it is a fair bit lower than I'd like (boo!) so I've said I'm not interested. However one of their 'reasons' for the low offer puzzled me a little:

Replacement of water tank with stainless steel type, removal of carpets and flooring to have the inside shot blasted and coated

Do people really replace (perfectly functional) water tanks with stainless ones 'just becasue'? Likewise my hull survey was fine and inside of boat is dry (huge storage area in bows and lift up flooring in boatman's cabin both show this so why would they be blasting/coating the inside?

I mean, I get if starting from scratch one might specify these things but with a perfectly functional (1980s) boat would buyers normally do this?

Edited by TheMenagerieAfloat
wobbly spelling

I could understand someone wanting a SS water tank, but that is down to personal choice and not really a reason for dropping the price.  As for lifting all the floor, blasting the inside and then having it coated?  I think they may struggle to find a boat in their price range (presumably not that big if looking at an '80s boat) where that has been done or needed.

OK, so, not just me then... Thank you!

Tbf I would have _liked_ a SS tank on newer boat (which was advertised at ~50% more than old one is up for and is slightly bigger/more boring than popular for holidays/much cruising types) but I'm not considering fitting one!

Was ever so slightly worried I'd end up finding the thread about the shocking ad for a vastly over priced Martin Braine tug with inadequate water tank and neglectful owner who has never taken up All The Floor (and removed the cupboards in boatman's cabin?!?) to coat the inside of the hull. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, TheMenagerieAfloat said:

So, I received an offer on my old boat (after the first viewing - yay!), unfortunately it is a fair bit lower than I'd like (boo!) so I've said I'm not interested. However one of their 'reasons' for the low offer puzzled me a little:

1 hour ago, TheMenagerieAfloat said:

Replacement of water tank with stainless steel type, removal of carpets and flooring to have the inside shot blasted and coated

Sounds like a rather bogus justification for a lowball offer.

Just tell 'em the boat is for sale 'as is' and if they want to do upgrades that's up to them, after they've bought it.

20 minutes ago, TheMenagerieAfloat said:

Was ever so slightly worried I'd end up finding the thread about the shocking ad for a vastly over priced Martin Braine tug with inadequate water tank and neglectful owner who has never taken up All The Floor (and removed the cupboards in boatman's cabin?!?) to coat the inside of the hull. 

Martin Braine???

They just want you to finance them bringing an older boat up to modern standards and fashions, I think the steelwork changes and refitting to convert it to a widebeam will be the bigger issue ?.

..............Dave,

12 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Martin Braine???

Malcolm! (My phone remembers me messaging a Martin... But he is family, not boat builder!) 

14 minutes ago, dmr said:

They just want you to finance them bringing an older boat up to modern standards and fashions, I think the steelwork changes and refitting to convert it to a widebeam will be the bigger issue ?.

..............Dave,

I told the boat agent to point out (the front) half the interior had been Farrow & Balled... Maybe they got carried away! 

22 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Having been involved in lots of grit blasting around accommodation areas I would say best of luck to them, I bet they will be still clearing it up in ten years time if they are only lifting floors.

Giggles :-) 

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I was thinking more 'Pork'

When I DuckDuckGo'd to understand the joke it came up with a clinical phycologist so I assumed you were being less PC! (That Newbie thread was wrong - this place is lovely)

• Haha 1

Chancers' chants may include

The layout's all wrong. We'd need to change it all (and why is that the vendor's fault?)

It's at the wrong end of the country (it's a boat, it moves)

It's not been overplated (thank feck it hasn't needed it)

It;s too dark and needs decorating (it's called quality panelling and not the London look)

and on, and on. 

Spmeome will come along and engage you in serious dialogue about your boat and a price acceptable to you both.

12 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

Chancers' chants may include

The layout's all wrong. We'd need to change it all (and why is that the vendor's fault?)

It's at the wrong end of the country (it's a boat, it moves)

It's not been overplated (thank feck it hasn't needed it)

It;s too dark and needs decorating (it's called quality panelling and not the London look)

and on, and on. 

Spmeome will come along and engage you in serious dialogue about your boat and a price acceptable to you both.

When I have been showing people houses over the years, I would often come across those who found fault behind every door - I would regularly suggest that they were looking at the wrong house for them, not to waste any more of their time, and I would give them a call if I got something that might meet their needs.

Sometimes this resulted in an end to the criticism, and a sale at an agreeable price to the seller. Other times, there was some grumpiness, and they insisted on seeing the rest of the house, thus wasting both their time and mine and, occasionally, the viewing ended there and then, and we all got on with doing better things with our lives.

• Greenie 1

Neither of these are valid points. If your tank is fine, great. Even if it,s not, flexible liner would be cheaper, surely,, and platinum dearer than stainless steel. As for shotblasting, I just don't understand how that preference can be used as a bargaining point

Water tank.

Integral tanks are not a maintenance problem and are perfectly fine for storing drinking water. Checked occasionally and re blacked when needed.

Stainless and plastic tanks waste loads of space, massively reduced capacity. I have seen more stainless tanks with bacterial growth, pink greasy stuff often, than integral bitumen  painted ones.

Sand/grit blasting.

They are joking, who would you find willing to do such a stupid thing INSIDE a boat shell? Two seconds after starting they would not be able to see, and the abrasive would destroy the fit out and the operative would not be happy! 

13 minutes ago, CompairHolman said:

I used to run a secondhand goods small business, I've heard every trick in the book and that one is a common one, they are trying to make you feel sorry for them because its not what THEY want, my response to those kind of offers was " you're right it wouldn't suit you , goodbye" .

Or to make you doubt yourself and or the product you're selling - either way yes, quite right not to accept that kind of nonsense.