Removing Treadmster / damage to steel?

Featured Posts

I'm being given a hard time about the idea of using Treadmaster glued directly to the steel of the boat...

Advice from Treadmaster was strip paint off (this is for when I'm having the boat painted anyway), stick down the self-adhesive/templated shapes and paint around it. Their logic was that would be better to adhere the anti-slip stuff directly to metal in case the paint was less secure.

I absolutely understand the fear of water seeping under and rusting the boat. I'm less sure I buy the fear of the adhesive removing a layer of steel on removal.

So, looking for any horror stories at all... so far haven't come up with any on search but also no examples of anyone taking Treadmaster off and so being able to see...

IMO the only way you will remove any steel with the Treadmaster is if it rusts underneath, or if you remove it with an angel grinder or sander.  I doubt even that a scabbler or  badly handled  power chisel scraper thing would do any damage.

N

6 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Whose fear is that then?

I'd say this happening was on the unlikely side of impossible.

Family member. Cautious and well-meaning family member who is fond of the boat and apparently has more faith in me not (being harmed by) dropping into the cut than I do ?

TBF I have now found a 2016 post from @alan_fincher saying he found rust under his anti-slip tape...

Is that a common issue? Would painting (or anything?) underneath offer much protection to my poor vulnerable boat?

3 minutes ago, TheMenagerieAfloat said:

Family member. Cautious and well-meaning family member who is fond of the boat and apparently has more faith in me not (being harmed by) dropping into the cut than I do ?

TBF I have now found a 2016 post from @alan_fincher saying he found rust under his anti-slip tape...

Is that a common issue? Would painting (or anything?) underneath offer much protection to my poor vulnerable boat?

There are many different 'qualities' of anti-slip products varying from 'rough sellotape' to Treadmaster.

I have used Treadmaster on many of my boats and have not had any rusting beneath it. The problem has always been how to get the 'dam stuff off'.

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I have used Treadmaster on many of my boats and have not had any rusting beneath it. The problem has always been how to get the 'dam stuff off'.

Heat gun and scraper on a steel boat I would think would work.

The samples I have are from Treadmaster. Was thinking of that for the (edges of the) stern deck.

Was considering tape for the gunnels but am def open to other suggestions. The Treadmaster stuff can be bought in longer strips (I asked)...

27 minutes ago, TheMenagerieAfloat said:

I'm being given a hard time about the idea of using Treadmaster glued directly to the steel of the boat...

Advice from Treadmaster was strip paint off (this is for when I'm having the boat painted anyway), stick down the self-adhesive/templated shapes and paint around it. Their logic was that would be better to adhere the anti-slip stuff directly to metal in case the paint was less secure.

I absolutely understand the fear of water seeping under and rusting the boat. I'm less sure I buy the fear of the adhesive removing a layer of steel on removal.

So, looking for any horror stories at all... so far haven't come up with any on search but also no examples of anyone taking Treadmaster off and so being able to see...

I had Treadmaster on the front deck when I bought my boat. The seal to the cabin structure had failed and water was dripping into the cabin.

Getting the first layer off was easy but that’s because there were two layers and water had infiltrated the space in between. There is no way the adhesive will be stronger than the steel so unless you have inadequate fabrication or very rusty steel you should be able to remove it. I could only clean the surface of the steel mechanically prior to painting.

The job still isn’t really finished four years later because I need to replace the timber valance I built across the front of the cabin and get the deck scuppers sorted to drain the deck properly. There was an ad hoc arrangement of filler both above and beneath the Treadmaster to get get fall and direction into the pathetically small scuppers through the cants. Thankfully I know someone who will do that for me later in the year.

I’ve attached a before and an after photo (taken four years apart).

JP

9F80BA1E-EDF1-4EDB-ABCE-349685B674BF.jpeg

77AF164E-F75B-4CC5-94E8-A9A9811E6413.jpeg

Edited by Captain Pegg

2 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Heat gun and scraper on a steel boat I would think would work.

Yep (according to Treadmaster - obvs have never tried). I also asked about that as I was contemplating sticking the samples on top of the existing paint for now to see how well they glow/grip as there are a couple of patterns.

I had Treadmaster glued on -just around the bow area for a few years. Noticed it was starting to lift so removed it to find some pretty decent pitting underneath. Havent a clue whether I had painted under it or not though. I would go for paint under-it will fall off before it rusts too bad then 

I've had Treadmaster for 11 years now on top of paint with no problem. It is however the plain type not self adhesive,  fixed down with a high quality clear paintable sealant, probably polyurethane. I forget now what it was,  but it was removable when wet with white spirit, so easy to form a nice fillet seal around the edges which helps to keep the water out.

Richard 

1 hour ago, BEngo said:

IMO the only way you will remove any steel with the Treadmaster is if it rusts underneath, or if you remove it with an angel grinder or sander.  I doubt even that a scabbler or  badly handled  power chisel scraper thing would do any damage.

N

What’s an angel grinder?

My concern with sticking the treadmaster to bare steel and then painting around it would be that there will be a join between the paint film and the edge of the treadmaster. You have to take the paint over the edge of the treadmaster to form a seal (which could look messy), and any movement here (e.g due to temperature changes) could result in the seal cracking, allowing moisture in, and rust to form under both paint and treadmaster.

• Greenie 1

We have some self adhesive pads on the front to provide grip when accessing the bow locker. These have been down for around 8 years on top of the original paint.

The lift up panel at the stern to access the weed hatch was originally painted and sanded. This all lifted off after 18 months in a big sheet. I primed, undercoated and glossed this then stuck Treadmaster down with the 2 pack adhesive they supply. I sealed around the edges with clear silicone.

Recently the front edge started lifting slightly and it was obvious that there was some rusting. I cut a line 2 inches back and lifted the strip off with a flat scraper. There was only a little rusting which I have treated and given a coat of Hammerite until I can paint it properly when the weather is warmer.