Wifi??? What is the best most efficient set up?

James H

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, rusty69 said:

...... Poynting 4g  Xpol external antenna.It is good, but if buying again I would go for a Huawei  B525 and poynting antenna and utilise the phone capability of the router and inclusive minutes on a contract sim.

Keep in mind 5g may be taking off soon, so maybe worth hanging on until then.

51Ktst+R18L._SX522_.jpg

I have recently upgraded to the Huawei B525 860f....with the above aerial from a mifi unit in a window for a couple of years. The signal is far better, streaming Netflix and YouTube with no buffering at all, along with capability of 5g when in certain cities(ho ho). Sim only contract with 3 for £10 (6 months and then £20 for 6 months. Unlimited Gigabytes. I can also add a static phone to the router if I so wished.

• Happy 1

2 hours ago, James H said:

..... for pointing me in the right direction. 

No, its a Poynting.

1 hour ago, rustynewbery said:

Considering that Lower Heyford still has no decent signal coverage on EE/BT and SFA Vodafone unless you do a dance on the railway bridge, I wouldn't hold out on 5g being readily available on the inland waterways except cities

Ours is the same system as Rusty's and we got a really decent signal when moored 20 yards south of the water point (southof the station) in Lower Heyford on EE. Good enough to stream via Netflix.......and Mrs Bob didnt need to dance on the bridge. I am very pleased with our antenna and router, now nearly 3 years old.

11 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

No, its a Poynting.

Ours is the same system as Rusty's and we got a really decent signal when moored 20 yards south of the water point (southof the station) in Lower Heyford on EE. Good enough to stream via Netflix.......and Mrs Bob didnt need to dance on the bridge. I am very pleased with our antenna and router, now nearly 3 years old.

I had good signal on the waterpoint mooring, also on the second boat length  north of the bridge on the wharf moorings and on the first boat length north of the narrows all on EE

3 hours ago, rusty69 said:

I don't think the router itself does anything to improve the signal. The reason I chose it was for the relatively robust SMA aerial connections, compared to the flimsy affairs you tend to get on mifi units.

So you buy a £190 router, which adds no useful service function, just for the better connection to a £79 aerial? Doesn't sound ideal.

Edited by David Mack

1 minute ago, David Mack said:

So you buy a £190 router, which adds no useful service function, just for the better connection to a £79 aerial? Doesn't sound ideal.

Yep.I bought a £190 router, but I didn't pay £190 for it.I also didn't pay £70 for the aerial.

It is not ideal, but the aerial connection, as I said is, far superior than most mifi connections,so suits me fine.