New smart phone, What!

Boater Sam

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Machpoint005 said:

Yes - a diary (OK, calendar), looking up rugby, cricket and football scores, a metronome, and a calculator that looks just like a 1980s Casio Scientific.

Smartphone obviously have functions that dumbphones don't but that doesn't mean you need / want anything the smartphone has to offer. 

If you feel you really need one, you only need to spend a hundred to two hundred quid to find out. New to it, the difference between Android and Apple isn't so great anymore, so get an Android.

I've got an old Samsung S4 with a PAYG SIM which I use when I don't want people to have my main number. It still does all I would need a smartphone to do, so no need to be bang up to date, or keep buying the latest phone.

Main phone is an iPhone 6S. Again, nothing it doesn't do that I would want it to do.

I not tell g you anything new and, like some others, wondering why you are feeling the need.

6 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

Smartphone obviously have functions that dumbphones don't but that doesn't mean you need / want anything the smartphone has to offer. 

You are posting on an Internet forum, so I would have thought that by definition you would want/need features that a smartphone gives you.

12 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

Many smartphones today are waterproof!

They may be waterproof but do they float? 

1 minute ago, Richard10002 said:

If you feel you really need one, you only need to spend a hundred to two hundred quid to find out. New to it, the difference between Android and Apple isn't so great anymore, so get an Android.

I've got an old Samsung S4 with a PAYG SIM which I use when I don't want people to have my main number. It still does all I would need a smartphone to do, so no need to be bang up to date, or keep buying the latest phone.

Main phone is an iPhone 6S. Again, nothing it doesn't do that I would want it to do.

I not tell g you anything new and, like some others, wondering why you are feeling the need.

60 quid plus 6 for giffgaff one month sim. 

2 minutes ago, john6767 said:

You are posting on an Internet forum, so I would have thought that by definition you would want/need features that a smartphone gives you.

I'm smartphoned up to the eyeballs. That comment you've quoted was in answer to a post by Matchpoint and in reference to a post I made earlier but that wasn't about me. Have I lost you yet? :unsure:

7 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

you only need to spend a hundred to two hundred quid to find out.

Mine came free with a £15 a month contract.

8 minutes ago, john6767 said:

I never use my phone to access the forum. That's what laptops with full-size keyboards are for!

24 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Yes - a diary (OK, calendar), looking up rugby, cricket and football scores, a metronome, and a calculator that looks just like a 1980s Casio Scientific.

My ancient nokia 101 has a calendar and a calculator. It doesn't look up scores though:(

12 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

I don't know but it would be somewhere on the edge of human in a replicant night. 

:huh:

I'm not sure what your saying here, are you suggesting this is the future of smartphones

Not sure I'm completely happy with that, how do they fit in a standard pocket?

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, tree monkey said:

I'm not sure what your saying here, are you suggesting this is the future of smartphones

Not sure I'm completely happy with that, how do they fit in a standard pocket?

Yes...

Certainly you would need man sized pockets you can't fit anything in the pockets of women's clothes. 

P.S. The Edge of Human & Replicant Night were the sequels to Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. 

2 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I couldn't watch. I hope he didn't fall, he would have hit the deck-hard!

Oh groan.... :giggles:

5 hours ago, Slim said:

I'm in the Android camp.

All my smart phones have been android as have my tablets. last year I bought a fairly high spec I Pad. I hated it and could never get on with it. Thinking it was just a matter of adjustment I preserved to no avail. In the end I gave it away and went back to my android tablet.

My sister's grandkids recently bought her a smart phone as a family joke. A DooWee (spelling)  they bought it new on E Bay for about £60. Apart from the fact that it's only 3g it's amazing for the price. It even has 2 sim slots. Build quality seems good and battery life better than any smart phone I've had.  Well worth the price even as an experiment

I think you mean a Doogee, I have one which cost about £80 and is 4G works well and at that price if it falls into the canal with me then I'm not too worried if I have to get another one. It works well and I find having used both apple and android that android is easier, but each to their own

1 hour ago, Machpoint005 said:

That's what I thought until I threw I my Nokia thickfone in for an HTC android a few years ago. The battery life is 3-4 days, longer than I was getting from the Nokia, but that depends on keeping it disconnected from tinternet/mobile data unless you actually want to send an email or read a newspaper online. You can also use it in "saver" mode to stop it eating up resources when you are not looking.

That is true.My Moto g7 power has a 5000mAH battery. I get 2 days out of it with moderate use. I suspect if I turned off gps, bluetooth, wifi  and turned the screen brightness down to min and only used it for phone calls and sms I could get 4 days out of it.

Oh, hang on.If I did that, I wouldn't need a smartphone.:blink:

23 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I couldn't watch. I hope he didn't fall, he would have hit the deck-hard!

Groan  ;)

21 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

Yes...

Certainly you would need man sized pockets you can't fit anything in the pockets of women's clothes. 

P.S. The Edge of Human & Replicant Night were the sequels to Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. 

Oh groan.... :giggles:

I read the original years ago, didn't know there was a sequel 

16 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

I read the original years ago, didn't know there was a sequel 

They were actually written by K.W. Jeter - I don't know if Jeter is to PKDick what Brandon Sanderson is to Robert Jordan, but he's definitely like Kevin J Anderson (but less prolific) as in he may have got the Blade Runner books because he'd already done the Star Wars novelisations. 

Am I over geeking here. Probably. :unsure:

• Greenie 1

40 minutes ago, captain birdseye said:

I think you mean a Doogee, I have one which cost about £80 and is 4G works well and at that price if it falls into the canal with me then I'm not too worried if I have to get another one. It works well and I find having used both apple and android that android is easier, but each to their own

I do indeed. The one the kids bought my sister is only 3g but I'm amazed at the quality and functionality. ( I fear that deep diwn I know the reason).