New smart phone, What!

Boater Sam

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

Due to my ignore list I am losing the thread here, its a problem but I can live with it.

Nobody cares about your ignore list and everybody knows you ignore it anyway, so your song and dance about it is pretty much irrelevant. 

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

In fact what I need is not a 'phone but a Wifi connected computer small enough to fit in a pocket but does such a thing exist?

Yes. It’s called a smart phone. 

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

In fact what I need is not a 'phone but a Wifi connected computer small enough to fit in a pocket but does such a thing exist?

Which is what a smartphone is - Can I call him a moron without getting banned?

• Haha 1

One-eyed? No, no-eyed will be the future.  Multiple external cameras will connect directly by wifi to an implant in wherever you keep your brain.  Physical eyes will be redundant.  Oh and there will be extra CAN feeds from local radars for NN and his flying friends. 

9 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

The smart is for the other clever things, GPS and hence speed, star patterns, pictures etc. In fact what I need is not a 'phone but a Wifi connected computer small enough to fit in a pocket but does such a thing exist?

Ah, yes.I know exactly what it is you need BS.........Oh, what's the point!!!!!!

8 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

My landlady has a smart phone with no SIM card, it is only used on wifi. It wasn't new when she got it (daughter's cast off?) and cost her nothing. The way LL uses the phone it is effectively a very small tablet.

My phone can do almost anything my laptop can do, but editing long documents would be tedious, or rather, making multiple edits would

2 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

My phone can do almost anything my laptop can do, but editing long documents would be tedious, or rather, making multiple edits would

That’s one thing I hate doing on any mobile device. I tried writing some scripts on an iPad last year so that I could be sociable and sit in the lounge with the missus. I had to give up and sit at a proper computer. 

4 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

My landlady has a smart phone with no SIM card, it is only used on wifi. It wasn't new when she got it (daughter's cast off?) and cost her nothing. The way LL uses the phone it is effectively a very small tablet.

That sounds like a possible solution. I never realised that they would do anything without a sim, how does it charge for data use?

Just now, Boater Sam said:

That sounds like a possible solution. I never realised that they would do anything without a sim, how does it charge for data use?

It uses your existing Wifi network BS.It charges through a standard power source.

Oh, I give up!

19 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

One-eyed? No, no-eyed will be the future.  Multiple external cameras will connect directly by wifi to an implant in wherever you keep your brain.  Physical eyes will be redundant.  Oh and there will be extra CAN feeds from local radars for NN and his flying friends. 

I've no-eye-deer if that is correct.Hang on, this isn't the moose/deer head thread.

34 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

It can be hard to tell how old members on here are.  I suspect I'm younger than most.  Who dares start an 'admit to your age thread'?

Your age is in your profile - at least mine is. The site used to have a daily birthday list which was (presumably) based on this.

4 minutes ago, frahkn said:

Your age is in your profile - at least mine is. The site used to have a daily birthday list which was (presumably) based on this.

You don't have to list your birthday - I haven't. You've been a member longer than me so this might be something that's changed over the years. 

3 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

You don't have to list your birthday - I haven't. You've been a member longer than me so this might be something that's changed over the years. 

Yeah but when I joined I was 40 and delighted in my youth...

13 years later I might want to reinvent myself....

5 hours ago, rusty69 said:

. The obvious benefit of a dumb phone is the battery life. 

Get a smartphone and you will be forever charging it. 

That's what I thought until I threw I my Nokia thickfone in for an HTC android a few years ago. The battery life is 3-4 days, longer than I was getting from the Nokia, but that depends on keeping it disconnected from tinternet/mobile data unless you actually want to send an email or read a newspaper online. You can also use it in "saver" mode to stop it eating up resources when you are not looking.

4 hours ago, gbclive said:

A couple of other points to consider.

It may well end up in the cut?

Phones are surprisingly slippery and thus easy to drop and either break or drown.

So perhaps avoid spending too much on it and get a shock resistant frame.

Many smart phones these days can’t easily have their battery replaced, so become obsolete sooner than those that can.

Many smartphones today are waterproof!

1 minute ago, Machpoint005 said:

Mobile phones used to have a little tag to attach a wrist strap. My smartfone doesn't, so I leave it inside the boat. 

I ruined a brand new iPhone once when it went to the bottom of the canal, unfortunately it was in my pocket at the time ?