New smart phone, What!

Boater Sam

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

It has been said that my Nokia 1200 is no longer considered to be a 'phone despite the fact that it makes calls and does SMS. ( getting technical, did you see what I did there? )

If it still works and it does what you want why change? Don't let anyone else tell you what to do!

I run my business with my smart phone, but when the chips are down it has to function as a phone - calls and text, so my "spare" handset is a dinky little phone that cost me £12 from Argos, if I have a problem with the S9 the sim card goes into the spare phone and people can still ring me.

10 minutes ago, john6767 said:

I did not like the separate memory pools, a bit like having two small disk partitions on a laptop, the phone’s internal memory was forever getting full...

I had a similar experience. I was given a small Android tablet which only had a tiny installed memory, so I installed a large memory card. Not only was shuffling content a pain but certain apps simply cannot be moved to a card, they have to stay on the main device. Despite not being an Apple fan, for mobile devices they take some beating. 

There again, if OP struggles with an iPad then I don’t think he’ll get on with any make of smartphone. 

• Greenie 1

I phone or EYE phone, I Pad, I Pod. The name implies that the makers are preparing for the finalization of an evolutionary change in thousands of years time when both eyes merge into one big huge square one with  peering at screens. And alas! the change has already begun, I've noticed that folks eyes are very very slowly getting closer and closer together and will no doubt evetually merge into the one great biggun in the centre of the forehead. But the hands will have had the evolutionary change first as I've also noticed folks index fingers and thumbs are becoming a lot bigger and stronger and out of proportion with the rest of the fingers, with prodding about on computer keys and touch screens. I think I might have mentioned this before. :)

Take a look in the mirror folks and examine your fingers for abnormal overgroth of index fingers and thumbs.

Edited by bizzard

For the above reason I'm going to lodge a patent at the patents office for the invention of the  ''Single very large centre lens spectacles'' with the special secret unique feature of how they balance upon the old bugle.

3 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

It has been said that my Nokia 1200 is no longer considered to be a 'phone despite the fact that it makes calls and does SMS. ( getting technical, did you see what I did there? )

!

Said by whom?   I'm not quite like Athy, who I think  doesn't have a mobile phone.  But I still exist with a dumbphone, which is switched off except by appointment.  It needs charging about once every two months.   But I can see the time coming when travel and banking, for example, will become almost impossible without a smartphone.  

5 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

I use my son's cast offs, currently Iphone 7.  I disable everything I can eg Siri and it still does things I don't expect with no indication of how to get out of it. But  I manage.

And me, my daughter in my case.

I use a Blackberry Curve phone which must be nearly 20 years old but works perfectly (as a phone - everything else is disabled).

40 minutes ago, bizzard said:

I phone or EYE phone, I Pad, I Pod. The name implies that the makers are preparing for the finalization of an evolutionary change in thousands of years time when both eyes merge into one big huge square one with  peering at screens. And alas! the change has already begun, I've noticed that folks eyes are very very slowly getting closer and closer together and will no doubt evetually merge into the one great biggun in the centre of the forehead. But the hands will have had the evolutionary change first as I've also noticed folks index fingers and thumbs are becoming a lot bigger and stronger and out of proportion with the rest of the fingers, with prodding about on computer keys and touch screens. I think I might have mentioned this before. :)

Do you ever watch Futurama?  They seem to have had the idea before you.

8 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Do you ever watch Futurama?  They seem to have had the idea before you.

I've never heard of it. Anyway I came up with all this 5 or 6 years ago on here so possibly Futurama got the eyedea from me.

3 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Why do you consider you need a smartphone in preference to your dumb phone? 

What is your budget?

I have both. The obvious benefit of a dumb phone is the battery life. 

Get a smartphone and you will be forever charging it. 

My Motorola g7 power, has better than average battery life, but still needs charging every 2 days. (reduced price on amazon UK at the moment). 

ETA. If you have me on your block list, I hope this post may benefit somebody:)

Good points there.

I'm not a live-aboard and have adequate computer stuff at home.   When out and about, or cruising on the boat, I have rarely if ever found a need to use a phone for other than talking and messaging.  I bought a cheapy smartphone but found I never used it for anything other than talking and messaging.   My smartphone is in a desk drawer at home, my clamshell phone is about the size of the key fob for my car, sits in my jeans pocket 24/7 and only needs charging once a week.  What's not to like?

I think there is nothing so stupid as walking around with a phone permanently in your hand, which I assume used to be done mainly for effect, but now that nearly everyone has one, what's the point?  My daughter does it and drops it several times a year.  If I was the repair shop I could make a fortune out of fitting new glass screens.  Smartphones are a bloody nuisance IMHO, but then I am a grumpy old git.

4 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

HELP !

It would seem that I'm on the ignore list so I'm not sure if I should even bother to offer advice to the OP, but just incase other people are reading this thread and wondering. 

Llike my good friend Mr Rusty said - the question to ask yourself is why do you even need a smartphone, is there some specific function that a smartphone can give you that a dumbphone can't or is it just that other people are telling you that you need to have a modern smartphone. If you don't really need one and you just need a new phone then there are plenty of dumbphones out there that you can buy new, the Nokia 105 for example is well reviewed for what it is. Most of the basic phones that don't have smart capabilities seem to use 2G which is fine for just texting and calling but I don't know how that would effect coverage, can you still get 2G in an area where you would get 4/5G. Research is your friend and you will find reviews of most things on YouTube, if you start by searching for 'basic phones uk' in the search engine of your choice that will bring up specific models you can then look into in more depth. 

As for whether you can use your phone while in foreign climes that will depend entirely on the phone company that you use and what you buy from them via your SIM card not the phone its self. 

https://www.nokia.com/phones/en_gb/nokia-105

For the sake of disclosure I went straight from Blackberry to Apple and I've never used and android. 

8 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

Good points there.

Well, thankyou. I must admit, I was late to the smartphone arena. I held off for years.Everyone was laughing at me and my old dumb phone. I finally got one, not because I needed one,but to see what all the fuss was about.

Trouble is once you have one, it is very difficult to go back to not having one.

If all you need is to make phone calls and the odd text message, a dumb phone is the way to go.

If you want, e-mail, GPS based navigation, a camera,a search engine, then..............

6 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

It would seem that I'm on the ignore list so I'm not sure if I should even bother to offer advice to the OP, but just incase other people are reading this thread and wondering.

Well, I thought that too. But then I thought there are others out there who may require the valuable input from us younger forum members:)

Edited by rusty69
t
  • Greenie 1

19 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

If you don't really need one and you just need a new phone then there are plenty of dumbphones out there that you can buy new, the Nokia 105 for example is well reviewed for what it is.

I am a great fan of Nokia dumb phones. I have an ancient Nokia 101,it has been going for years.

The Nokia 105 you mention can often be found in places such as carphone warehouse 'free' with a £10 topup. 

16 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Well, thankyou. I must admit, I was late to the smartphone arena. I held off for years.Everyone was laughing at me and my old dumb phone. I finally got one, not because I needed one,but to see what all the fuss was about.

Trouble is once you have one, it is very difficult to go back to not having one.

If all you need is to make phone calls and the odd text message, a dumb phone is the way to go.

If you want, e-mail, GPS based navigation, a camera,a search engine, then..............

Well, I thought that too. But then I thought there are others out there who may require the valuable input from us younger forum members:)

Considering the average age of the forum members is approximately 350, that's not saying much

;)

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I am a great fan of Nokia dumb phones. I have an ancient Nokia 101,it has been going for years.

Best phone I ever had was one of those little Nokia 5210s - I put it through hell and back at my work and it just kept going, poor thing. My iPhone certainly wouldn't cope with what I put that thing through. 

image.png.2cb6f44b40c3788e930b7b4f9f1bccb1.png

• Happy 1

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

Ok, so it seems you are either an Android fan or an Apple fan.

Anyone prefer windows phones here?

Probably an Ecofan. or perhaps an egofan. ?

Edited by bizzard
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

It can be hard to tell how old members on here are.  I suspect I'm younger than most.  Who dares start an 'admit to your age thread'?

1 minute ago, doratheexplorer said:

Futurama started 20 years ago, and predicted a one-eyed future human.

I never knew that, thank you. I bet they didn't invent the special  big single lens specs with the special nose clamp feature, wing nuts on either side to squeeze and clamp onto the hooter to stop them going cockeyed.

1 minute ago, doratheexplorer said:

It can be hard to tell how old members on here are.  I suspect I'm younger than most.  Who dares start an 'admit to your age thread'?

Not me! If my mum finds out, I would be in big trouble.I'm only 12!

Due to my ignore list I am losing the thread here, its a problem but I can live with it. The alternative is bedlam.

Futurama?

Picking up on quotes, the budget is as little as practicable, the "dumb" phone which I think is anything but, will remain the prime communicator.

The smart is for the other clever things, GPS and hence speed, star patterns, pictures etc. In fact what I need is not a 'phone but a Wifi connected computer small enough to fit in a pocket but does such a thing exist?