New smart phone, What!

Boater Sam

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, doratheexplorer said:

In fact, I think I have an old iphone 5 knocking around somewhere with a broken microphone so it's no good for calls anyway.  The rest of it still works though (I'll have a check).  The OP can have it for free if he pays the postage.

That is a very generous offer Dora. 

I suspect BS has a mifi, so he can connect it to that. He won't be able to chat up Siri though,but that is probably a good thing. 

It will at least get him started. 

ETA Come to think of it, would connecting the phone to a Bluetooth speaker with built-in mic  allow it to make calls etc. 

Edited by rusty69

1 hour ago, doratheexplorer said:

This thread has strayed into a lot of talk about PAYG/sim cards/contracts.  To reiterate what others have said, if you don't want to make calls, you don't need a sim card or a contract or payasyougo.  Your battery will last a lot longer and you'll never have to pay another penny after buying the phone.  The downside is you'll only be able to access the internet when in a wifi zone, but that's not exactly hard these days.  In fact, I think I have an old iphone 5 knocking around somewhere with a broken microphone so it's no good for calls anyway.  The rest of it still works though (I'll have a check).  The OP can have it for free if he pays the postage.

What an offer! There are some nice people on here.

This could be a good introduction to smartphone technology for me.

20 hours ago, rusty69 said:

My ancient nokia 101 has a calendar and a calculator. It doesn't look up scores though:(

It hasn't got a metronome app either.

(You may not need one, but I do!)

19 hours ago, rusty69 said:

That is true.My Moto g7 power has a 5000mAH battery. I get 2 days out of it with moderate use. I suspect if I turned off gps, bluetooth, wifi  and turned the screen brightness down to min and only used it for phone calls and sms I could get 4 days out of it.

Oh, hang on.If I did that, I wouldn't need a smartphone.:blink:

The point is, for most of the time you don't need a smartphone. Just turn on the stuff you need when you need to (gps, bluetooth, wifi ...).

17 hours ago, Loddon said:

You may think that but you will be paying for it in the contract somewhere.

Yes, of course, I should have used inverted commas, but I will have paid for it a long time ago. Refusing "upgrades" that I don't want means £15 a month is still a very reasonable price for the service I need. I'm sure EE (formerly Orange) would love me to take on the latest Samsung at £45 a month but there is no chance of my doing that!

17 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Phones are for telephoning, proper computers are for emails etc.

^^ Wot he said :clapping:

49 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Yes, of course, I should have used inverted commas, but I will have paid for it a long time ago. Refusing "upgrades" that I don't want means £15 a month is still a very reasonable price for the service I need. I'm sure EE.......

In most cases, people paying over £10 a month are overpaying for their mobile SIM deal.

I get more calls and texts than I can use, plus 9GB of data, for £10 a month from Plusnet. GiffGaff offer similar, and there are others.

So, the chances are that you are paying 50% to 100% more than you need to. Given that it is only £60-£90 a year, it may not be a big deal, but worth thinking about.

35 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Probably a bit more accurate than a pencil held vertically at arm's length!

That's more accurate than you would imagine,  the pencil does need to be the same length as your arm from the elbow to your hand though.

1 minute ago, matty40s said:

Helps you work out whether you fell asleep stood up or lying down......

It's raining so sat up in the van :)

1 hour ago, Richard10002 said:

In most cases, people paying over £10 a month are overpaying for their mobile SIM deal.

I get more calls and texts than I can use, plus 9GB of data, for £10 a month from Plusnet. GiffGaff offer similar, and there are others.

So, the chances are that you are paying 50% to 100% more than you need to. Given that it is only £60-£90 a year, it may not be a big deal, but worth thinking about.

I always stuck with Orange/EE because the network coverage was historically better. Now that I have retired I might well think again, but as you say, less than a hundred squid a year isn't likely to be an issue. That's just one more night out with the Memsahib each year!

51 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

That's more accurate than you would imagine,  the pencil does need to be the same length as your arm from the elbow to your hand though.

A height to the nearest 10m was always enough for my purposes anyway, and the trigonometry is simple enough (back to my scientific calculator app...).

3 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

I'd probably use 9GB of data in 1-2 days.  Unlimited data is the only way.  Pretty much all the tv I watch is streamed.

Streaming netflix in HD uses around 3GB an hour, so one viewing of The Irishman would wipeout all your monthly data.

Edited by doratheexplorer

2 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

I'd probably use 9GB of data in 1-2 days.  Unlimited data is the only way.  Pretty much all the tv I watch is streamed.

Streaming netflix in HD uses around 3GB an hour, so one viewing of The Irishman would wipeout all your monthly data.

how much do you pay monthly for unlimited data?

3 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

Not on 3, Netflix is free under Go-Binge.

42 minutes ago, restlessnomad said:

£22

Edited by Loddon

1 hour ago, restlessnomad said:

Thats pretty good... what is the speed like? do you have netflix premium(which has UHD content)

Fast enough, 36mb at present but get 64mb at good times, no netflix premium but Amazon prime has UHD.

I use it as home broadband with a Huawei B525 router,  4k streaming is over ethernet not wifi, Chromecast does the rest.

Mine is the Data only sim but phone unlimited is available.

http://www.three.co.uk/Store/SIM/Plans_for_phones

Edited by Loddon
  • Greenie 1

6 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

Is there ANYTHING on tv one would want to stream?

When I'm out on the boat (crusing) a £6 a month GiffGaff (other packages are available) works. If I get stick for not speaking to the family enough I may upgrade to the next size package once a year. I use a smart phone and a tablet,(both android) . What better excuse do you want for a quick trip to a pub, shopping centre, café, supermarket or whatever than the need to pick up your e mails? Mind you , picking up e mails is very data frugal.

On 14/01/2020 at 18:40, Loddon said:

Not on 3, Netflix is free under Go-Binge.

£22

I have three.  Change that to Dracula on iplayer then

On 14/01/2020 at 17:59, restlessnomad said:

I have a pricey deal which includes a top end smartphone so I can't really say what the data portion is.  I'd guess about £20 a month is the data so echoing what was said above.  Apart from anything else, unlimited data just takes all the worry out of it.  No risk of running out.

On 14/01/2020 at 09:39, doratheexplorer said:

Give me a chance to check it still works properly.  I'm away from boat now but will be back later.

I have some grovelling to do.  I don't have an old iphone to give away.  After hunting around for it for half an hour, I remembered giving it to a charity shop in Stratford last summer.

• Greenie 1

Thanks, sorry to trouble you looking. I'm still hopelessly confused. Tending towards android but no clearer what make or model may be better for me.

£200 sounds an awful lot, my Nokia 1200 cost the equivalent of £9 in the Philippines 14 years ago, its had 1 new battery and 4 new cases, needs another and now hard to find.

Ideally a 1209 case is better as it has hard buttons not rubber. Hence the thought to update to smart.

Its a bit of a Trigger's broom but all original, never gone wrong.

30 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

Thanks, sorry to trouble you looking.

No worries.  I was rummaging around when the lighbulb suddenly came on.  I remembered having a big clear out while moored between Wilmcote bottom lock and the A46 and then taking about 4 big bags off 'stuff' to the Hospice Shop.  They seemed pleased.