New smart phone, What!

Boater Sam

Featured Posts

I would not recommend a PAYG sim in a smart phone because most PAYG suppliers charge per day for data as well as volume, i.e 1byte costs £1 but you can have another 9.99 MBytes 'free' on the same day.  Most Smart phones have functions thet won't work unless they can make a data connection, even a photo SMS has to have data as does position(GPS), so running without a data connection will rapidly become a pain. As said above a rolling £6 per month to giffgaff gets you a basic plan, more minutes and texts than most older blokes will make per month, and a small data allowance that will be enough for news and weather + a bit of google/ebay.  As to Android vs Apple at least Google has never slowed its older phones down deliberately, but new software versions are always bigger than old so eventually there is insufficient space.

2 hours ago, Tumshie said:

Which is what a smartphone is - Can I call him a moron without getting banned?

You could use the Churchill technique. "Sir, only my good manners prevent me from calling you a moron.".

I expect that would be technically compliant.

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1
  • Happy 1

8 minutes ago, Detling said:

I would not recommend a PAYG sim in a smart phone because most PAYG suppliers charge per day for data as well as volume, i.e 1byte costs £1 but you can have another 9.99 MBytes 'free' on the same day.  Most Smart phones have functions thet won't work unless they can make a data connection, even a photo SMS has to have data as does position(GPS), so running without a data connection will rapidly become a pain. As said above a rolling £6 per month to giffgaff gets you a basic plan, more minutes and texts than most older blokes will make per month, and a small data allowance that will be enough for news and weather + a bit of google/ebay.  As to Android vs Apple at least Google has never slowed its older phones down deliberately, but new software versions are always bigger than old so eventually there is insufficient space.

Worth mentioning that Giffgaff can also be used as PAYG if it suits as well as the option of buying a goodybag to get inclusive minutes and data.

It is what I do. Use the boat wifi connection for internet with phone data turned off. If I want to make lots of phone calls or use lots of data I will buy a goodybag that suits, or stick my data sim in the mifi.

I have not read all five pages of this thread, so this may have been covered already.  You may wish to think twice before buying a Huawei phone . Not just because you may not fancy sharing your data with the Chinese government [allegedly], but also because there are a number of geopolitical arguments underway that might affect the ability of your Huawei handset to continue to get american-supplied software updates [like, say, android or playstore].

I still use a Nokia E90, which was smart about ten years sgo.it will do emails,though it doesn't like them much. It's ok for the web, if it must. It has a terrific keyboard, which is why I like it, gps (runs Garmin) and is so obsolete you can't get hacked on it.

For emails, web etc I use a lenovo Yoga, 8 inch screen and a huwaii dongle. Both are on Giffgaff at a fiver a month. Phones are for telephoning, proper computers are for emails etc.

2 hours ago, Detling said:

So with Android do the phones now update to the latest version of Android, rather than being stick on the version that they were supplied with?

1 hour ago, john6767 said:

So with Android do the phones now update to the latest version of Android, rather than being stick on the version that they were supplied with?

Some do some don't

Depends on the manufacturer

My moto g is on 8.1 it started on 7. AFAIK they only upgrade until a new model is released.

2 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Some do some don't

Depends on the manufacturer

My moto g is on 8.1 it started on 7. AFAIK they only upgrade until a new model is released.

So a bit better than it used to be.  I guess that assumption is that you scrap the phone and get a new one every 2 years, but even that long without updates does not sound good.

9 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

All these version updates and app updates are just a scam to slow the device down so much you get frustrated enough to go out and buy a new phone.:detective:

I bought a Samsung Galaxy Note 1 and it slowed up so much I had to ditch it, no prob with my Nexus 6P. I'll never risk another from Samsung the  ba*tards. 

30 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

All these version updates and app updates are just a scam to slow the device down so much you get frustrated enough to go out and buy a new phone.:detective:

although some are for security patches, to close any recently discovered vulnerabilities.

4 hours ago, Tumshie said:

They were actually written by K.W. Jeter - I don't know if Jeter is to PKDick what Brandon Sanderson is to Robert Jordan, but he's definitely like Kevin J Anderson (but less prolific) as in he may have got the Blade Runner books because he'd already done the Star Wars novelisations. 

What the Frack are you on about?

4 hours ago, Tumshie said:

Am I over geeking here. Probably. :unsure:

Yes.

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

I have to disagree, it is software, it has bugs, those bugs need fixing, particularly where they are related to security.  I do not like the idea of any device running complex software that is not being updated for years.

8 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

Due to my ignore list I am losing the thread here, its a problem but I can live with it. The alternative is bedlam.

Futurama?

Picking up on quotes, the budget is as little as practicable, the "dumb" phone which I think is anything but, will remain the prime communicator.

The smart is for the other clever things, GPS and hence speed, star patterns, pictures etc. In fact what I need is not a 'phone but a Wifi connected computer small enough to fit in a pocket but does such a thing exist?

To summarise then. 

1.You probably want something with a big enough screen, and keyboard to accommodate your fat fingers and dodgy eyesight... Note some older iPhones are relatively small by today's standards. 

2 Something with a decent screen/camera for photos. 

3 Something with GPS and WiFi,which you can then connect to your existing mifi device. 

I would first decide what size phone you think may suit in terms of practicality, viewing and typing. Do this by comparing phones side by side in a shop, or drawing the screen sizes on a piece of paper. 

This may narrow the field a bit. 

Eta. You Could always forget the smartphone and get a small tablet. 

33 minutes ago, john6767 said:

I have to disagree, it is software, it has bugs, those bugs need fixing, particularly where they are related to security.  I do not like the idea of any device running complex software that is not being updated for years.

Fair enough. 

Edited by rusty69

12 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

Now see, this is my problem. We already have a conflict of opinion.

Why would I as an idiot find the iphone more user friendly please? Is it like an ipad that drives me crazy already? I find it anything but friendly.

I can happily use a not bang uptodate bit of kit, 'cos I am far from uptodate myself but if one is easier than the other it matters.

My only experience of a smart phone was a new Samsung the wife bought. She is on PAYG and this silly phone could not be made to accept more credit 'cos the screen locked before you could enter the numbers. It went back as they were all like that.  A Samsung cock up, could not be fixed, and she bought a Nokia which is not smart.

I think you will not identify  much difference between android and apple.

Android  is not Microsoft windows.

This thread has strayed into a lot of talk about PAYG/sim cards/contracts.  To reiterate what others have said, if you don't want to make calls, you don't need a sim card or a contract or payasyougo.  Your battery will last a lot longer and you'll never have to pay another penny after buying the phone.  The downside is you'll only be able to access the internet when in a wifi zone, but that's not exactly hard these days.  In fact, I think I have an old iphone 5 knocking around somewhere with a broken microphone so it's no good for calls anyway.  The rest of it still works though (I'll have a check).  The OP can have it for free if he pays the postage.