New smart phone, What!

Boater Sam

Featured Posts

It has been said that my Nokia 1200 is no longer considered to be a 'phone despite the fact that it makes calls and does SMS. ( getting technical, did you see what I did there? )

Seems that todays 'phone has to connect to the internet thingy and take thousands of pictures of myself, food and peoples' feet that are never viewed again otherwise it is useless.

So its time to ask for recommendations as to which smart phone a complete dinosaur boater like me should buy out of the myriad mountain of ones available, new and used to be considered worthy. Consider my fat fingers too, I just about cope with a laptop keyboard.

Can you have a smart phone on pay as you go? With being absent from the UK for months on end am I better with PAYG or a contract whatsit?

HELP !

You can use a pay as you go SIM in a smart phone, there is no issue with that.  You can get used phones on eBay and even in those old fashioned high street shop things.  if you buy one of those you can just put a SIM in it and as long as the phone is unlocked then it can be a SIM from any network.

As to type of phone I use iPhones, but no doubt the Android fans will be along to say that they’re are cheaper, they no doubt are, but my experience with Android is that it is much harder to use.  You need to try and figure out which you prefer. 

7 minutes ago, john6767 said:

You can use a pay as you go SIM in a smart phone, there is no issue with that.  You can get used phones on eBay and even in those old fashioned high street shop things.  if you buy one of those you can just put a SIM in it and as long as the phone is unlocked then it can be a SIM from any network.

As to type of phone I use iPhones, but no doubt the Android fans will be along to say that they’re are cheaper, they no doubt are, but my experience with Android is that it is much harder to use.  You need to try and figure out which you prefer. 

Oh dear, more complication.

Whats the pros and cons of iphone and androids? Assume total ignorance please!

I would say the key is John's last line, do you want to sell yourself to Apple or Google. Once you have made that decision then look at either an iPhone (Apple) or Android (Google). For Android there are lots of makes and models from relatively cheap to iPhone comparable expensive.

I use a Moto phone (Android) as I dislike Apple and don't wish to use any of their products although through work I have had to use iPhones and iPads.  I wouldn't say either Apple or Android are any easier or harder to get used to, both have their ways of doing things and some are easier on one platform than the other.

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

I would say the key is John's last line, do you want to sell yourself to Apple or Google. Once you have made that decision then look at either an iPhone (Apple) or Android (Google). For Android there are lots of makes and models from relatively cheap to iPhone comparable expensive.

I use a Moto phone (Android) as I dislike Apple and don't wish to use any of their products although through work I have had to use iPhones and iPads.  I wouldn't say either Apple or Android are any easier or harder to get used to, both have their ways of doing things and some are easier on one platform than the other.

All I have to go on is that I struggle with the wife's ipad. Is android anything like windows 10 which I nearly understand?

Forget apple its expensive and deliberately restricts what you can buy that is compatible. Android allows vastly more choice and an android of 100 ish quid will do more than you will ever need. Both Apple and android have lots of silly toys for kiddie use. 

17 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

All I have to go on is that I struggle with the wife's ipad. Is android anything like windows 10 which I nearly understand?

If you struggle with an iPad then I wouldn't go for an iPhone. Save yourself £500 and go for an Android phone.

One downside of Android is not many phone manufacturers release the latest Android operating system updates so you are best to buy one that has the latest release so you are getting all the new security features.

Why do you consider you need a smartphone in preference to your dumb phone? 

What is your budget?

I have both. The obvious benefit of a dumb phone is the battery life. 

Get a smartphone and you will be forever charging it. 

My Motorola g7 power, has better than average battery life, but still needs charging every 2 days. (reduced price on amazon UK at the moment). 

ETA. If you have me on your block list, I hope this post may benefit somebody:)

Edited by rusty69

I pay £13 pcm for my phone contract with Three, reasonable online 'net access plus free unlimited  phone calls, the phone cost £60 from Three, who spent an hour with me finding out my usage. Yes it needs charged every day, but otherwise much better than button phone.

It's got GPS and I believe it takes photos and  can be a torch, only problem so far is that I managed to prevent incoming calls, due to enabling something called 'dns', I think, had to get someone to sort it for me, I just thought no one had called me for a while.

It took ten minutes to work out how to create a contact, which I do with most numbers I call. It takes a few mins to find out how to find the keyboard [lower right square dotty icon]] which is essential.

Edited by LadyG

10 minutes ago, nb Innisfree said:

I'm usingy daughters spare Huawei Nexus 6P (android) fabulous bit of kit, not manufactured any more but still keeps up, used ones quite cheap on eBay. 

I thought they were cheaper than £100 used, what is a fair price for a good one, dents accepted as long as it works?

1 minute ago, doratheexplorer said:

Get a refurbed iphone 6, 6s, or 7.  Very cheap and far more user friendly than android.

Now see, this is my problem. We already have a conflict of opinion.

Why would I as an idiot find the iphone more user friendly please? Is it like an ipad that drives me crazy already? I find it anything but friendly.

I can happily use a not bang uptodate bit of kit, 'cos I am far from uptodate myself but if one is easier than the other it matters.

My only experience of a smart phone was a new Samsung the wife bought. She is on PAYG and this silly phone could not be made to accept more credit 'cos the screen locked before you could enter the numbers. It went back as they were all like that.  A Samsung cock up, could not be fixed, and she bought a Nokia which is not smart.

1 minute ago, Loddon said:

That's what I said above. Shame BS has me on block eh!

8 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

Now see, this is my problem. We already have a conflict of opinion.

Why would I as an idiot find the iphone more user friendly please? Is it like an ipad that drives me crazy already? I find it anything but friendly.

I can happily use a not bang uptodate bit of kit, 'cos I am far from uptodate myself but if one is easier than the other it matters.

My only experience of a smart phone was a new Samsung the wife bought. She is on PAYG and this silly phone could not be made to accept more credit 'cos the screen locked before you could enter the numbers. It went back as they were all like that.  A Samsung cock up, could not be fixed, and she bought a Nokia which is not smart.

What is it about the ipad which you struggle with?  If you are having problems with that, then you'll probably have problems with any smart phone.  Iphones, and all Apple products have the huge advantage that the same company make the hardware and the software and that it is designed as a closed system to protect you from your own stupidity.  Android phones aren't like that.

1 minute ago, LadyG said:

£129!

Can sometimes be found for £99, which is a lot of phone for the money.

Just now, doratheexplorer said:

What is it about the ipad which you struggle with?  If you are having problems with that, then you'll probably have problems with any smart phone.  Iphones, and all Apple products have the huge advantage that the same company make the hardware and the software and that it is designed as a closed system to protect you from your own stupidity.  Android phones aren't like that.

I can't get on with Apple products, I much prefer Android. Perhaps it's what you start out using that influences it.

6 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

What is it about the ipad which you struggle with? 

Mainly the company ethos from the old days. Vowed back in the 80's I would never buy an apple product.

Much the same as Tesla..........

I'm in the Android camp.

All my smart phones have been android as have my tablets. last year I bought a fairly high spec I Pad. I hated it and could never get on with it. Thinking it was just a matter of adjustment I preserved to no avail. In the end I gave it away and went back to my android tablet.

My sister's grandkids recently bought her a smart phone as a family joke. A DooWee (spelling)  they bought it new on E Bay for about £60. Apart from the fact that it's only 3g it's amazing for the price. It even has 2 sim slots. Build quality seems good and battery life better than any smart phone I've had.  Well worth the price even as an experiment

A couple of other points to consider.

It may well end up in the cut?

Phones are surprisingly slippery and thus easy to drop and either break or drown.

So perhaps avoid spending too much on it and get a shock resistant frame.

Many smart phones these days can’t easily have their battery replaced, so become obsolete sooner than those that can.

30 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I can't get on with Apple products, I much prefer Android. Perhaps it's what you start out using that influences it.

Not really.  I've used pretty much every device there is.  I currently have an Experia android phone and an Iphone.  The iphone is objectively more user friendly.  The Android phone is more versatile for developers and more experienced users.  It's less tied into its predetermined ecosystem.  None of this matters to the OP - ease of use is the overriding factor. 

Obviously, if you've always used Android, then iOS will seem strange, but the OP isn't in that camp.

10 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

None of this matters to the OP - ease of use is the overriding factor. 

There you have it then BS (Oh, you can't see this)if budget is not a consideration, or you don't mind getting secondhand,get an apple. Just don't drop it in the canal.Though if you have trouble with your wife's I-thingy I would stick with the dumb phone if I were you.

1 hour ago, Boater Sam said:

I thought they were cheaper than £100 used, what is a fair price for a good one, dents accepted as long as it works?

I bought another one on ebay to use as a sat nav for the car, £89.90 and it was very good, no visible scratches. The casings are subject to marks appearing but a £2.99 silicone cover solves that. 

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

Can sometimes be found for £99, which is a lot of phone for the money.

My first experience was with Android, perhaps it is that which put me off it.

I did not like the separate memory pools, a bit like having two small disk partitions on a laptop, the phone’s internal memory was forever getting full and you had to manually move apps and and data into the memory card.  I guess you can argue the memory card is good as you can take it out and put in a laptop to move data, but I found managing the memory a total faff, compared to iOS where you have one contiguous memory pool which just works.  Perhaps with the large capacity phones you now get it’s not so much an issue, but that was a big turn off for Android for me.

Having been a Java developer I should be a big Android fan, but it does not seem good at making all the phones equal, to run some peripherals and apps you need certain Samsung models, where as with iOS as Apple make the hardware and software it is all compatible.  Again I don’t like this.

perhaps Android has not better at software updates, but devices at least used to stay on the Android version they shipped with, where iOS does regular updates, and until the phone is very old you will be kept on the latest iOS.

I can understand the moral issues with Apple, particularly from the past, but let’s face it Google is not exactly whiter than white, and then there are the hardware companies like Samsung and Huawei.  Just as if you use a Windows PC you you have to get over that.  If you are a Linux fan instead of Windows then guess what iOS is basically Linux and if you jailbreak an iPhone you can access the underlying operating system?.

In the end you pick what works for you!