Bubble stove query...

Featured Posts

I have one of these 5kw Bubble corner sstoves - the supplier is Haworth Heating (up in Humberside iirc) and they can supply any spares you need.  Full details can be found on their website.

To your problem.  The thrust of the above is correct - the plate should be sitting high up in the firebox, just below the flue. The retaining tangs are not on the plate, but rather on the stove: one either side towards the front and one at the back that the thin end of the almost triangular plate sits on. The front ones are higher than the back, so the plate slopes slightly front to back - offer the plate up so that it is just above the front side tabs, then slide it back til the rear sits on the one at the back, then lower the front until it sits on the 2 front side tabs. It doesn't lock in, but rather just sits there and is easily disturbed. This isn't normally an issue as it's so high up above the fire.

You need to drop the plate occasionally to clean crud off the top and, of course, it should be removed for the regular flue sweeping.  If you don't do these things, you'll find the fire becomes "fumey" which is not normal for this stove which, if you haven't already because of your plate issue, you'll find is really rather a good one. I've had mine happily burning continuously  for 2 months with little effort.  The fuels that I've found to suit it best are Newheat and Excel.

Hope that helps to keep you snug and safe this winter. :)

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 2

27 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I have one of these 5kw Bubble corner sstoves - the supplier is Haworth Heating (up in Humberside iirc) and they can supply any spares you need.  Full details can be found on their website.

To your problem.  The thrust of the above is correct - the plate should be sitting high up in the firebox, just below the flue. The retaining tangs are not on the plate, but rather on the stove: one either side towards the front and one at the back that the thin end of the almost triangular plate sits on. The front ones are higher than the back, so the plate slopes slightly front to back - offer the plate up so that it is just above the front side tabs, then slide it back til the rear sits on the one at the back, then lower the front until it sits on the 2 front side tabs. It doesn't lock in, but rather just sits there and is easily disturbed. This isn't normally an issue as it's so high up above the fire.

You need to drop the plate occasionally to clean crud off the top and, of course, it should be removed for the regular flue sweeping.  If you don't do these things, you'll find the fire becomes "fumey" which is not normal for this stove which, if you haven't already because of your plate issue, you'll find is really rather a good one. I've had mine happily burning continuously  for 2 months with little effort.  The fuels that I've found to suit it best are Newheat and Excel.

If you are in Humberside you are lost!! its 20 odd minutes from Rotherham on a good day Its on the border of South Yorkshire and Nottinghamshire, one of the exs lives there ?

1 minute ago, peterboat said:

If you are in Humberside you are lost!! its 20 odd minutes from Rotherham on a good day Its on the border of South Yorkshire and Nottinghamshire, one of the exs lives there ?

Ah, fairy snuff! I did say iirc, but it appears I remembered wrongly: poor geographical service from a Yorkshireman.  Still, the website will still work and, with any luck, so will the OP's stove! :)

1 minute ago, Sea Dog said:

Ah, fairy snuff! I did say iirc, but it appears I remembered wrongly: poor geographical service from a Yorkshireman.  Still, the website will still work and, with any luck, so will the OP's stove! :)

I have a kero version of it very pleased, and the last boat had the corner stove again kero but equally good, Terry builds a good stove

1 minute ago, peterboat said:

I have a kero version of it very pleased, and the last boat had the corner stove again kero but equally good, Terry builds a good stove

He does indeed. I have a mate considering changing to an oil burner so I'll pass on your opinion. Reassuringly expensive though, eh? ;)

13 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

He does indeed. I have a mate considering changing to an oil burner so I'll pass on your opinion. Reassuringly expensive though, eh? ;)

Oh yes, I bought my first for £200 from Towpath talk, it was a backboiler model often appear at that price so grab himself a bargain

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

Thanks so much... I will be delving into this to see whats what at the weekend!!!

Just to update you all there are two tabs sticking out on either side of the fire which the plate lifts up and sits on - never noticed these before as they are right up high and you to look for them - thanks so much for all the help from you all - might be able to get enough coal in now to go overnight!

3 hours ago, robtheplod said:

Just to update you all there are two tabs sticking out on either side of the fire which the plate lifts up and sits on - never noticed these before as they are right up high and you to look for them - thanks so much for all the help from you all - might be able to get enough coal in now to go overnight!

In my experience with this stove, using smokeless fuel, to overnight the stove fully close the ash compartment vent and have just around half on the upper (airwash) slider. The door vent is always fully closed - use this when burning wood only.

1 minute ago, Sea Dog said:

In my experience with this stove, using smokeless fuel, to overnight the stove fully close the ash compartment vent and have just around half on the upper (airwash) slider. The door vent is always fully closed - use this when burning wood only.

thanks.. I've not used the upper slider yet, what is the purpose of that?

Just now, robtheplod said:

thanks.. I've not used the upper slider yet, what is the purpose of that?

Airwash. It helps keep the glass clean. However, once the fire is up and running, this should be used as first control, opening the vent in the ash door for more heat as required once the airwash is fully open. All stoves seem to have their in character, but this general principle works well for the Bubble Corner.

16 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Airwash. It helps keep the glass clean. However, once the fire is up and running, this should be used as first control, opening the vent in the ash door for more heat as required once the airwash is fully open. All stoves seem to have their in character, but this general principle works well for the Bubble Corner.

thank you!