Bubble stove query...

Featured Posts

Hi Everyone, we have a Bubble solid fuel stove, which works well. It has a 'flap' in it though which gets in the way of putting in coal - it can be lifted up and is just held by a screw at the back - is this required to be in the stove - does it serve a purpose or can I remove it?  thanks!!!

20200112_095820.jpg

20191011_153107.jpg

It does look like it's the baffle plate and yes it's there for a reason, like Rusty says it's there to improve efficiency of the fire, you can take it out and see how it burns with out it if you really wanted but could you not find something to wedge while you put you coal in, like a stick of kindling or something of that shape?

Edited by Tumshie
  • Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

Is that plate actually sitting in the right position in your fire?

its where its always been...… it does get in the way and needs to be lifted. I've not had one of these before so assumed that was how its supposed to be. … does it seem low to you?

16 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

Is that plate actually sitting in the right position in your fire?

9 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

its where its always been...… it does get in the way and needs to be lifted. I've not had one of these before so assumed that was how its supposed to be. … does it seem low to you?

Dunno again, but looks too low to me. Hopefully someone who has one will be along shortly. The baffle plate on my squirrel is much higher than that.

ETA.Lots of documentation on this site:

https://www.harworthheating.co.uk/downloads/Technical/Bubble/Bubble User Info/

Screenshot 2020-01-12 at 16.55.53.png

Edited by rusty69
  • Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

Have a look inside your stove and see if there is something on the sides of the stove walls that the plate might sit on or catch onto in some way. These photos aren't a bubble stove be they show what you might be looking for. 

image.png.c712d887a23dbabfde687aa6b0c9f621.png

image.png.afa51d2d915275171b699567f0509c69.png

• Greenie 1

The baffle plate is there to stop the fire being drawn up the chimney so it stays in the body of the stove and to heat that more efficiently so it should sit relatively high up in the stove where it can't interfere with the actual fire as it burns. 

Just now, ditchcrawler said:

My thoughts as well but I can't find a manual online

Me neither, the only bubble website I could find seems to be under construction so not much help. 

4 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

Thanks everyone so much … its great its not supposed to be like this so will take a look next time on the boat and sort......

Let us know how it goes ?

7 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

My thoughts as well but I can't find a manual online

5 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

Me neither, the only bubble website I could find seems to be under construction so not much help. 

Let us know how it goes ?

https://www.harworthheating.co.uk/documents/Technical/Bubble/Bubble User Info/Bubble_Corner_Solid_Fuel-user_Instructions_Issue_8_Sept_2011.pdf

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

Yeah I get that now, but I didn't see that you had edited your post to eloquently included all that info I was scrambling about trying to find and post further down the thread. :P

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

thanks for all your valued info … I followed the links and it gives a pic of the baffle - I don't recall seeing the bent bits of metal at the two sides - I'm fairly sure mine is just a flat sheet of metal so this would explain it not sitting correctly - maybe these rest on the side bricks?

https://www.harworthheating.co.uk/product/bubble-b1c-baffle-plate-assembly-solid-fuel-stove/

Edited by robtheplod

1 minute ago, robtheplod said:

thanks for all your valued info … I followed the links and it gives a pic of the baffle - I don't recall seeing the bent bits of metal at the two sides - I'm fairly sure mine is just a flat sheet of metal so this would explain it not sitting correctly:

https://www.harworthheating.co.uk/product/bubble-b1c-baffle-plate-assembly-solid-fuel-stove/

That doesn't look exactly like your pic.The wrong one, or the tabs have fallen off?

2 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

thanks for all your valued info … I followed the links and it gives a pic of the baffle - I don't recall seeing the bent bits of metal at the two sides - I'm fairly sure mine is just a flat sheet of metal so this would explain it not sitting correctly - maybe these rest on the side bricks?

Exactly that Rob

1 hour ago, robtheplod said:

Hi Everyone, we have a Bubble solid fuel stove, which works well. It has a 'flap' in it though which gets in the way of putting in coal - it can be lifted up and is just held by a screw at the back - is this required to be in the stove - does it serve a purpose or can I remove it?  thanks!!!

20200112_095820.jpg

This used to happen to the one I installed on Kathys old boat, the front edge is supposed to sit high up, not visible through the glass. It occasionally drops down, either by naughty coal insertion using the hod knocking it off, or just being a lackadaisibaffle.

The metal is thin anyway - and will burn through in the centre eventually, Kathys tabs had fallen off but it still sat high most of the time.

Edited by matty40s

50 minutes ago, matty40s said:

The metal is thin anyway - and will burn through in the centre eventually, Kathys tabs had fallen off but it still sat high most of the time

It does look thin.I suspect the tabs have fallen off the OP's one and it has dropped. It would be worth looking inside the stove to see if the support brackets are still there before getting a replacement.

The baffle plate in the squirrel is a big cast iron jobby. I wonder if a cast iron ones exists for the bubble stove?

Eta, I bet you could bodge some tabs back onto that plate. 

Edited by rusty69

7 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

It does look thin.I suspect the tabs have fallen off the OP's one and it has dropped. It would be worth looking inside the stove to see if the support brackets are still there before getting a replacement.

The baffle plate in the squirrel is a big cast iron jobby. I wonder if a cast iron ones exists for the bubble stove?

I have known several People replace the Diesel Bubbles with Squirrels but the Multi Fuel Models are a competent enough Stove but youre right it does look very thin