Lift bridge no 26, Hockley Heath, North Stratford

MoominPapa

Featured Posts

The lift bridge no longer lifts. Apparently contractors have been out to it and can't fix it.

Plan is for CRT to winch it open tomorrow to let the stuck boats through, and probably leave it open, but there's a possibility it will be closed again afterwards.

MP.

3 hours ago, MoominPapa said:

The lift bridge no longer lifts. Apparently contractors have been out to it and can't fix it.

Plan is for CRT to winch it open tomorrow to let the stuck boats through, and probably leave it open, but there's a possibility it will be closed again afterwards.

MP.

It only just gone through a major refurb, where the road was close for some time.  Are you stuck there?

4 minutes ago, john6767 said:

It only just gone through a major refurb, where the road was close for some time.  Are you stuck there?

Did a heroic reverse back to The Wharf: the canal at the bridge is very close to the road. 

Are we talking about the same bridge? 26 carries a footpath and farm track.

MP.

9 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

Did a heroic reverse back to The Wharf: the canal at the bridge is very close to the road. 

Are we talking about the same bridge? 26 carries a footpath and farm track.

MP.

I was thinking Shirley for some reason doh, I know where you are now!

Just now, MoominPapa said:

Shirley was fine, except for a disappointing five car catch.

MP.

Five sounds good enough to, but you should have waited until 8:30 tomorrow to get a good catch.

If you are stuck there message me, we are not far away.

9 minutes ago, BEngo said:

Bridge 26 has been carp for years.  Normally, if you wind the draulics liks a mad thing it starts to rise.  After that you are OK.   Sounds like the pump unit is now totally banjaxed.

N

Did the mad thing thing; even went and got a long-throw windlass for extra madness. Not a millimetre of movement. They'll just have to break out another knackered second hand pump left over from the great 1970s paddle hydraulisation to fix it.

MP

Edited by MoominPapa

26 minutes ago, BEngo said:

Bridge 26 has been carp for years.  Normally, if you wind the draulics liks a mad thing it starts to rise.  After that you are OK.   Sounds like the pump unit is now totally banjaxed.

N

It’s the one nearer to the locks that is the worst one!

40 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

Did the mad thing thing; even went and got a long-throw windlass for extra madness. Not a millimetre of movement. They'll just have to break out another knackered second hand pump left over from the great 1970s paddle hydraulisation to fix it.

MP

Or get rid of the hydraulics and reinstall the old winch and cable.

The latest notice I received says the navigation is closed until they can get the bit, so the walkers win.

Just now, ditchcrawler said:

The latest notice I received says the navigation is closed until they can get the bit, so the walkers win.

Notice Alert

North Stratford CanalLocation: Drawbridge 26  (SN-017-001) Hockley heath Drawbridge North Stratford CanalStarts At: Bridge 26, Hockley Heath Drawbridge 2Ends At: Bridge 26, Hockley Heath Drawbridge 2Up Stream Winding Hole: North Bridge 25 (SN-016-001)Down Stream Winding Hole: South Bridge( 27 SN-017-003)

Monday 13 January 2020 15:00 until further notice

Type: Navigation Closure Reason: Repair

Original message: Due to failure of hydraulic ram on the drawbridge the bridge can not be operated until the part is replaced.
Our contractors are sourcing the parts and the bridge will be reopened as soon as the repair is done.

11 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Notice Alert

North Stratford CanalLocation: Drawbridge 26  (SN-017-001) Hockley heath Drawbridge North Stratford CanalStarts At: Bridge 26, Hockley Heath Drawbridge 2Ends At: Bridge 26, Hockley Heath Drawbridge 2Up Stream Winding Hole: North Bridge 25 (SN-016-001)Down Stream Winding Hole: South Bridge( 27 SN-017-003)

Monday 13 January 2020 15:00 until further notice

Type: Navigation Closure Reason: Repair

Original message: Due to failure of hydraulic ram on the drawbridge the bridge can not be operated until the part is replaced.
Our contractors are sourcing the parts and the bridge will be reopened as soon as the repair is done.

It was open at 1.30 when we came through, and there was no-one in sight waiting to close it. CRT promised to get back to me in the event that the opening was of limited duration and they haven't done that. Left hand, right hand. I guess anyone needing to get through should contact CRT direct for information.

MP.

1 hour ago, MoominPapa said:

It was open at 1.30 when we came through, and there was no-one in sight waiting to close it. CRT promised to get back to me in the event that the opening was of limited duration and they haven't done that. Left hand, right hand. I guess anyone needing to get through should contact CRT direct for information.

MP.

That stoppage did not come out until late afternoon, so looks like they have shut it again.

Interesting that they count the entrance by the Wharf Inn as a winding hole, seems a tad optimistic.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, MoominPapa said:

MP

Ahhhhhhh.......

So you touched it last!

?

BTW Our best haul at Shirley Drawbridge was a Sky TV van. He'd run the red light AND the barrier. The driver was not a happy bunny when the bridge started to go up with him on it. I wish I'd taken a photo.

• Greenie 1

22 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

Ahhhhhhh.......

So you touched it last!

?

It was broken before we got there. The CRT chap said it had been reported the day before.

If they have closed it again I'm glad I gave up waiting for the missed train and pedalled back up the locks to move the boat.

MP.

Edited by MoominPapa

38 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

BTW Our best haul at Shirley Drawbridge was a Sky TV van. He'd run the red light AND the barrier. The driver was not a happy bunny when the bridge started to go up with him on it. I wish I'd taken a photo.

Once, back when Shirley was manual, I was winding it up and concentrating on (1) whether Pingu could steer the boat through without hitting the bridge and (2) my dog who loved to lie down at the end to be lifted high into the air. I heard a car stop behind me but ignored it until the bridge suddenly stopped with a clang from behind me; the car had come too far forward and I had just put a massive crease in its roof!

It turns out that the opening we took advantage of was, shall we say, unofficial. When CRT turned up they closed the bridge again and issued the UFN closure on the canal. You may consider that two days from being first advised to issuing a notice, with a further two days (and counting) with no further action, on a bridge which has a standard pump and cylinder, and which (it has been demonstrated) could be opened at the cost of closing a small footpath, is pretty piss-poor. I couldn't possibly comment.

MP.

1 minute ago, MoominPapa said:

It turns out that the opening we took advantage of was, shall we say, unofficial. When CRT turned up they closed the bridge again and issued the UFN closure on the canal. You may consider that two days from being first advised to issuing a notice, with a further two days (and counting) with no further action, on a bridge which has a standard pump and cylinder, and which (it has been demonstrated) could be opened at the cost of closing a small footpath, is pretty piss-poor. I couldn't possibly comment.

MP.

I thought closing a footpath required planning consent.

1 minute ago, Rob-M said:

I thought closing a footpath required planning consent.

Could be. Temporary closures happen all the time with posted documentation. A similar bridge halfway down the Rothersthorpe flight was broken for years without any posted diversion. Looking at the map, a diversion would not be very long, it would involve a road, but only the road you have to walk along to get to the end of the footpath anyway.