Decision to make...

Tom Fennell

Featured Posts

14 hours ago, Tom Fennell said:

Thanks to all of you for your input, great to get some varied views!

I'm edging towards selling it... as much as I'd love to keep it I think it's going to be a drain and now isn't the right time for me.

The mooring is up at the end of March so my current plan is to take a trip from Rufford and bring the boat closer to home, this will give me month or so to completely make up my mind on what I want to do with it. 

That's what I'd do.  Come March, I'd cruise from Rufford to London, taking my time and having a fabulous experience.  Then sell it in London, where prices are higher.

17 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

That's what I'd do.  Come March, I'd cruise from Rufford to London, taking my time and having a fabulous experience.  Then sell it in London, where prices are higher.

You'd probably get arrested for nicking his boat though, long before you got it to London.

:giggles:

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Tom Fennell said:

Would the boat fetch much more down in London? Rough estimate?

I’d say generally somewhere between 10% and 30% more. Anyone agree or (more likely on here) disagree?

Just now, WotEver said:

I’d say generally somewhere between 10% and 30% more. Anyone agree or (more likely on here) disagree?

I think that prices are no longer so far apart - Folks have realised that a boat is a movable object.

Bricks & Mortar is not movable, hence the price difference.

To get a boat from Ormskirk to London would probably cost about the same (fuel, lost earnings, or paying a skipper etc) as one already in London would cost.

3 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Surly it would depend on the value of the boat.

I would expect a cheap boat to have a bigger differental than an expensive one

27 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Surly it would depend on the value of the boat.

I would expect a cheap boat to have a bigger differental than an expensive one

Agreed. Someone looking for something cheap and cheerful to CC and liveaboard around London is likely to pay more for something already in the area to avoid the time and cost of bringing a boat down from the North. But someone looking for a quality boat (for liveaboard or for leisure use) is more likely to be looking at boats anywhere on the system.  Since the OP's boat is only 4-5 years old I suspect it is more in the second category.

• Happy 1

On 12/01/2020 at 18:22, Alan de Enfield said:

From 12 June 2017 boat owners will be able to apply for a static letting licence for static boats that'll cover all types of boat rental, including long-term renting, Airbnb-style short breaks, and overnight stays. The boat owner will need to have a permanent mooring and should talk to their local planning authority to see if planning permission is needed.  The price will be the same as for the current self-drive holiday hire licence.

The static letting licence has more rigorous requirements to make sure that both the boat is safe and that potential renters are fully briefed before spending a night on board. Boat owners will need to have: proof of adequate insurance; a non-private Boat Safety Scheme certificate conforming to hire boat safety standards; a detailed handover document including emergency procedures and contact numbers; a landlord Gas Safety Certificate; and written permission from their mooring provider.

Alongside this, we'll be introducing a new process for dealing with boat owners who may be breaching the terms of their licence by renting out their boat. If a boat is suspected of being rented out illicitly the Trust will contact the registered licence holder, as well as hand posting letters onto the boat itself to alert renters. 

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/media/original/32539-canal-and-river-trust-introduces-new-licence-for-boat-renting.pdf

https://www.waterways.org.uk/blog/you_want_rent_boat

Well, that answers that!

Edited by steve7a3

1 hour ago, Tom Fennell said:

Haha, brilliant!

Would the boat fetch much more down in London? Rough estimate?

I wouldn't sail it down to London just to sell it unless you want to enjoy the trip. There is plenty of demand for good boats in the North West and (subject to marina approval) you have the advantage of selling with an existing mooring. Which Rufford marina is it on and what length is the boat?