Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Parahandy

Drinking Any Good Beer ?

Featured Posts

9 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

Does @Athy never drink wine?

JP

Yes he does - and do feel free to speak to him, not about him.

But he doesn't drink it in pints, so it's not really a comparison.

Edited by Athy

38 minutes ago, mark99 said:

I like the expression "parlour pub" though I'm not sure whether it was used when such establishments were common, or whether it's a more modern expression.

I remember driving with my parents through Burton-on-Trent in the 1960s, along a street of terraced houses where every fourth or fifth house seemed to be a pub. I guess that, as there were so many breweries in the town back then, Ind Coope would open one, then the others such as Bass and Marston's would open one nearby to compete. I was too young to go in them, but I suppose that each "pub" was little more than someone's front room.

3 hours ago, Athy said:

I don't drink a Trappiste in pints either.

My favourite tipple is Sarah Hughes Dark Ruby Mild. I like it so much I occasionally collect barrels of it from the brewery and deliver it to my local in Kent.

16 hours ago, Victor Vectis said:

What does the collective make of the curent fashion for unfined beers?

No problem provided you have a good cellar to keep them in, and enough time to let the shit sediment drop to the bottom of the bottle. 

Marble beers have always been unfined in botle or cask (and thus vegan), and that has been a USP at the Marble Arch (M4 4HY) for many years now. 

3 hours ago, Athy said:

That belies the different attitude to drinking beer that exists in the UK which is precisely what I was referring to.

Strong ales in Europe are served in 330ml bottles (and 355ml in North America). The comparison to wine which is typically 11-14% and served in measures up to 250ml is entirely valid in terms of alcoholic drinks in general but perhaps not between different styles of beers if beer is seen simply as a drink to quaff in large quantity purely for refreshment. Some comments above seem to suggest that the constitution of the average UK drinker can’t handle alcohol content above 5%.

As I much as I like a good cask ale it is largely a peculiarly British thing. There’s a massive variety of beer out there - much of it readily available in the UK - and if you are not in a position to go to a pub that serves good cask ale there is generally far more interest and flavour in the stronger bottled options available than the predominant bottled bright beers of the main UK brewers. Such beers will still be around after the current fad for high alcohol heavy hopped citrusy flavoured beers has been killed off by the big brewers diluting the market that was created by the truly good examples.

JP

Athy,

On the subject of speaking directly to you, did you recognise that I tagged you in my response? This was because my essentially generic point had a direct relation to one of your posts. However, on an open discussion forum does not every post address all readers? I quoted my friend Victor as I was initially answering his question but my response was not solely for his consumption. For that purpose a PM would have been required.

32 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

No problem provided you have a good cellar to keep them in, and enough time to let the shit sediment drop to the bottom of the bottle. 

Marble beers have always been unfined in botle or cask (and thus vegan), and that has been a USP at the Marble Arch (M4 4HY) for many years now. 

The finings are the problem not the yeast as far as human consumption is concerned. A taster in a Belgian brewery would swill the sediment into the beer to taste it.

You can’t let the sediment drop to the bottom in bread.

JP

What you say makes sense to an extent. In Britain we grew up to think of beer as a drink to be consumed by the pint, of at least by the half.  But we adjust our drinking speed to the drink which we are drinking at the time: most of us would drink beer faster than we drink wine, and we'd drink wine faster than we drink spirits  (I occasionally have a glass of cognac or armagnac at home, it's probably roughly a pub double measure and it'll last me a good hour). Personally I enjoy beers which I can have several of during an evening, and so these ultra-strong brews don't interest me.

But I have drunk a fair bit of beer in mainland Europe, most often in France, and I have noticed that, over the years, this has more frequently been served in a metric pint glass (500 or 550 ml I think) rather than the 250 ml which was the norm a couple of decades ago. The pint is the standard beer measure in Southern Spain too, though this could be due to the strong British influence down there.

Referring back to the topic's title, in Spain the beer I enjoy most is Cruzcampo. It's a lager, but not too sweet.

Edited by Athy

13 minutes ago, Athy said:

a metric pint glass

Like it! That's what I sup bottled ale out of - unless it's over 6% abv.

15 minutes ago, Athy said:

It's a lager, but not too sweet.

Quite a few of the beers from the Mediterranean countries are relatively strong but dry - eg Nastro Azzurro (I), Mythos (GR).

8% beer

Pah

I discovered when we moved that I still have some Thomas Hardys Ale 12% 

Said to be good for at least 25 years......its 1990 vintage might have to give it a try

IMG_20200114_132820319.jpg

You may notice that the "English" bottle is 180ml whilst the "French" bottle is 330ml

So 30 and 34 years after being bottled will it be any good?

Temptation got the better of me and I have to say that at 34 years old the smaller bottle is still drinkable, needs to be treated with respect ;)

Edited by Loddon

3 hours ago, jonesthenuke said:

My favourite tipple is Sarah Hughes Dark Ruby Mild. I like it so much I occasionally collect barrels of it from the brewery and deliver it to my local in Kent.

A little trip to Sedgley !