Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Parahandy

Drinking Any Good Beer ?

Featured Posts

Its a recurring Thread this one and its as a result of my visit to the Local Wetherspoons this morning . I dont know the reason why but the Bar is literally awash this Morning with fine English Ales all at £1.99 a pint , indeed its gotten so good that its become a chore to draw myself away to tell you about it .

I came across an absolute Gem this morning and due to a lack of information on the Beer Tap I had to come back and look it up on the Internet , it was called Lurcher Stout and its brewed in Lowestoft of all places , anyone ever tried it ?

http://www.green-jack.com/tastingnotes.html

 

Heres a link here .

http://www.green-jack.com/tastingnotes.html

 

Heres a link here .

 

Absolute rocket fuel some of these Ales but I must admit that anything over 5% I struggle with

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gone TEA total for January so only drinking Hogs Back Brewery TEA . Can't wait till Febrewery comes along 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Gone TEA total for January so only drinking Hogs Back Brewery TEA . Can't wait till Febrewery comes along 

I realise I am totally ignorant and I blame it on all those Years drinking Fizzy Lagers but I was never aware of the existence all these lovely English Breweries .

Why cant the BBC commission a Road Trip around the UK visiting them all , it would make for good viewing whilst stimulating interest in one of our Great Traditions

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tonka said:

A televised beer crawl

By boat. 

 

Parahandy's paralytic pub crawl.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tonka said:

Gone TEA total for January so only drinking Hogs Back Brewery TEA . 

Short, I believe, for Traditional English Ale. I like the name and I like the idea of Hog's Back Brewery (where had he been, then?) but it's one of the few ales I've sampled in the past year that I never want to taste again.

 

I would not enjoy drinking ANY beer in the mornings, though some seem handy at it. I agree about strength strictures though: "four-point-something" beers are what I most often drink.In the evenings, my current favourite is Mad Goose from the Purity Brewery in Northants.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

By boat. 

 

Parahandy's paralytic pub crawl.

Make no mistake Rusty If the BBC offer me Jeremy Vines Wages then I will be off 😀 Seriously though every time I turn on a Television its wall to wall Cookery Shows , they are simply everywhere . Why dont the BBC redress the Balance we could even recruit some New Talent for the Job , imagine for a minute our good friends Arthur Marshall and Graham Davis careering round English Lanes in an old Jaguar visiting Englands Breweries , who wouldn't watch that ? 😀 Arthur could knock out a few tunes on the Washboard whilst Graham did the Driving with his usual bonhomie

Edited by Parahandy
  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Athy said:

Short, I believe, for Traditional English Ale. I like the name and I like the idea of Hog's Back Brewery (where had he been, then?) but it's one of the few ales I've sampled in the past year that I never want to taste again.

 

I would not enjoy drinking ANY beer in the mornings, though some seem handy at it. I agree about strength strictures though: "four-point-something" beers are what I most often drink.In the evenings, my current favourite is Mad Goose from the Purity Brewery in Northants.

http://www.green-jack.com/tastingnotes.html

 

I would love a go at that Baltic Trader , the trouble is that these strong ales can sometimes be easy to drink . Imagine waking up the morning after penniless in Lowestoft , Helmand Province would be more appealing

17 minutes ago, Athy said:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Parahandy said:

 

 

I would love a go at that Baltic Trader.

 

10.5%??? I've had wine which was less strong than that! Perhaps if drunk from a wine glass, and at the speed at which wine is normally consumed, it would be manageable. Though you'd probably be less "penniless" than if you had stuck to lighter ales, as it would take far fewer of them to induce deep sleep.

 

From the interesting link which you provided, I'd probably go for the Trawler Boys, if you see what I mean. On my next visit to the treasure trove which is the Beers Of Europe warehouse at Setchey, I'll see if they have any ales from Green Jack brewery in stock.

Edited by Athy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Athy said:

10.5%??? I've had wine which was less strong than that! Perhaps if drunk from a wine glass, and at the speed at which wine is normally consumed, it would be manageable. Though you'd probably be less "penniless" than if you had stuck to lighter ales, as it would take far fewer of them to induce deep sleep.

 

From the interesting link which you provided, I'd probably go for the Trawler Boys, if you see what I mean. On my next visit to the treasure trove which is the Beers Of Europe warehouse at Setchey, I'll see if they have any ales from Green Jack brewery in stock.

If you click on the link and go to the top of page they apparently have a local hostelry owned by the Brewery , Lowestoft itself is very dark and dingy though this Pub certainly improves things

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Athy said:

10.5%??? I've had wine which was less strong than that! Perhaps if drunk from a wine glass, and at the speed at which wine is normally consumed, it would be manageable.

Sounds like what used to be called 'barley wine'.  Sold in "nips", 1/3 of a pint bottles.  Usually about 9-10% alcohol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dor said:

Sounds like what used to be called 'barley wine'.  Sold in "nips", 1/3 of a pint bottles.  Usually about 9-10% alcohol.

...and I think they still are. Stingo? Gold Label? Not sure if these are still sold but I remember the names from quite recently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember Stingo, brewed by Watneys I believe.  The only beer that gave you a bigger headache than Red Barrel.

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dor said:

I remember Stingo, brewed by Watneys I believe.  The only beer that gave you a bigger headache than Red Barrel.

Stingo is brewed these days by Sam Smith's in Tadcaster. Gold Label was also a Yorkshire beer, by Tennant's, until Whitbread took Tennant's over. Now that Whitbread has converted itself into a  hotel chain, I don't know who concocts Gold Label, but someone does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Too many years ago when I was sailing on the "bumpy stuff" there was the most god-awful ugly, falling apart, motorsailer in our local boatyard owned by a  nice but clueless chap who worked for one of the major breweries. No names, no pack drill, sufficient to say that they were one of the producers of that standardized gnat's-piss that passed for beer back then.

 

As said he was pretty five-thick-stubby-thumbs  about boat repairs but he had an Ace up his sleeve, a part of his job was producing a special brew for the boardroom. That stuff was nectar and somehow there always seemed to be a slight over production when he needed help on his boat. Needless to say he never seemed to be short of helpers . . .

  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Man 'o Kent said:

Too many years ago when I was sailing on the "bumpy stuff" there was the most god-awful ugly, falling apart, motorsailer in our local boatyard owned by a  nice but clueless chap who worked for one of the major breweries. No names, no pack drill, sufficient to say that they were one of the producers of that standardized gnat's-piss that passed for beer back then.

 

As said he was pretty five-thick-stubby-thumbs  about boat repairs but he had an Ace up his sleeve, a part of his job was producing a special brew for the boardroom. That stuff was nectar and somehow there always seemed to be a slight over production when he needed help on his boat. Needless to say he never seemed to be short of helpers . . .

Sadly all those resourceful chaps are virtually extinct nowadays . I was only saying this to a Mate in the Pub last Friday . At one time you could walk into any English Pub and you could virtually buy anything , Milton Keynes was famed for Building Materials on account of it being at one time Europes biggest Building Site . The mate Joe who was raised on the Fen tells me in Boston Pubs you could buy anything from a Digger to a Sack of Potatoes , Red Diesel was so plentiful and cheap it had no value . Whats gone wrong ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Man 'o Kent said:

 

 

As said he was pretty five-thick-stubby-thumbs  about boat repairs 

What a marvellous expression - is it from Kent?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Athy said:

Short, I believe, for Traditional English Ale. I like the name and I like the idea of Hog's Back Brewery (where had he been, then?) but it's one of the few ales I've sampled in the past year that I never want to taste again.

 

I would not enjoy drinking ANY beer in the mornings, though some seem handy at it. I agree about strength strictures though: "four-point-something" beers are what I most often drink.In the evenings, my current favourite is Mad Goose from the Purity Brewery in Northants.

There’s a good pub,does food though!, near to where I’m convalescing,  that sells draught Hogs Back brewery ales. Tea was one of them. A couple of years ago my brother presented me with a mixed box of bottled beers from Hogs Back. I’ve been promised a tour at sometime.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Parahandy said:

I realise I am totally ignorant and I blame it on all those Years drinking Fizzy Lagers but I was never aware of the existence all these lovely English Breweries .

Why cant the BBC commission a Road Trip around the UK visiting them all , it would make for good viewing whilst stimulating interest in one of our Great Traditions

Was there a programme in the 80s, The Beer Hunter, presented by Michael Jackson ( not the singer)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Athy said:

I most often drink.In the evenings, my current favourite is Mad Goose from the Purity Brewery in Northants.

Athy

 

If you can find it the new beers being brewed for archaeologist Francis Pryor are very good, I bought some when he did a talk in Peterborough he said eventually they'll be available online.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Man 'o Kent said:

Too many years ago when I was sailing on the "bumpy stuff" there was the most god-awful ugly, falling apart, motorsailer in our local boatyard owned by a  nice but clueless chap who worked for one of the major breweries. No names, no pack drill, sufficient to say that they were one of the producers of that standardized gnat's-piss that passed for beer back then.

 

As said he was pretty five-thick-stubby-thumbs  about boat repairs but he had an Ace up his sleeve, a part of his job was producing a special brew for the boardroom. That stuff was nectar and somehow there always seemed to be a slight over production when he needed help on his boat. Needless to say he never seemed to be short of helpers . . .

As a beer drinker I thought you may be interested in this place. The range of beers in the MoK is impressive, bottled & draught,  I've spent many happy hours in there.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g47920-d820689-Reviews-Man_of_Kent_Tavern_Cafe-Hoosick_Falls_New_York.html#photos;aggregationId=101&albumid=101&filter=7&ff=218406412

 

HH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My local at home is at present selling 'Rocking Rudolph', one of these naffly named Christmas beers.  Obviously Mr Claus was delayed this year.  In fact It's not a bad pint.

HOWEVER, tomorrow, storms and landslips permitting, I hope to be in the newly reopened Puzzle Hall in Sowerby Bridge.  It's been closed for  4 years, and is now a community pub.  I'll report back if I make it - the roads and bus services round here are suffering severe weather-related problems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

 

HOWEVER, tomorrow, storms and landslips permitting, I hope to be in the newly reopened Puzzle Hall in Sowerby Bridge.  It's been closed for  4 years, and is now a community pub.

 

Didn't know it was open. It was still looking some way off reopening when I passed by a few weeks ago.

Even their website doesn't say it is open, though digging around all the info about campaigning and community involvement I found this:

"The Puzzle Hall Inn will be opening again soon".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

My local at home is at present selling 'Rocking Rudolph', one of these naffly named Christmas beers.  Obviously Mr Claus was delayed this year.  In fact It's not a bad pint.

HOWEVER, tomorrow, storms and landslips permitting, I hope to be in the newly reopened Puzzle Hall in Sowerby Bridge.  It's been closed for  4 years, and is now a community pub.  I'll report back if I make it - the roads and bus services round here are suffering severe weather-related problems.

 

I agree, I've tried several naff-looking xmas ales recently and they've all been really good. 

 

All have been dark ales owning a lot to porter, a type of ale rarely if ever seen down south. Which is dreadful shame. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.