Hull blacking.....

jenevers

Featured Posts

I'll bet loads of folk have. Not me though, and I wouldn't, and nor would @Boater Sam above!  Someone has gone to a lot of trouble to formulate the best paint they can for this purpose and then, just to be extra helpful, they've called it "bilge paint". How handy is that? ;)

Oh, as an afterthought, I can tell you I did my gas locker floor in Rylard's Premium (the thinner, shiny one) a few years ago and it's still immaculate. The bottles do sit on Dri-dek matting though. :)

Edited by Sea Dog
Afterthought
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jenevers said:

Has anyone painted their bilge with bitumen?

A couple of years ago there was a young lady (new to the forum) who did here whole boat in Blacking (including the windows and sealing up the vents) we didn't hear from her for very long afterwards,

She was a bit strange (even for a boater)

19 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I'll bet loads of folk have. Not me though, and I wouldn't, and nor would @Boater Sam above!  Someone has gone to a lot of trouble to formulate the best paint they can for this purpose and then, just to be extra helpful, they've called it "bilge paint". How handy is that? ;)

Oh, as an afterthought, I can tell you I did my gas locker floor in Rylard's Premium (the thinner, shiny one) a few years ago and it's still immaculate. The bottles do sit on Dri-dek matting though. :)

Amazing that folk youse a paint called "Bilge Paint" for their bilges.

:)

1 hour ago, jenevers said:

Don't do it.  I painted the bilges with bitumen when I had a steel bottom put on.  Two years later when I removed part of the flooring to explore a plumbing leak I saw that the bitumen had flaked off and large parts of the bilge had gone rusty.  The solution was to sand blast it back to bare metal and do the job properly with bilge paint.  Still immaaculate after many years.

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

It seems to be something in the nature of boaters. Never happy with products made for the job, always casting around for other ways instead, seem to think they are smarter and cleverer than the makers of the right thing for the job. 

Oh, I wonder if anyone has ever thought of using go-kart tyres for fenders? 

2 hours ago, jenevers said:

I doubt it. First diesel leak and it will come off.

Bilges should be painted in a paint impervious to diesel, water and antifreeze, such as Danboline.

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

It seems to be something in the nature of boaters. Never happy with products made for the job, always casting around for other ways instead, seem to think they are smarter and cleverer than the makers of the right thing for the job. 

I met someone who thought that chucking engine oil in their clean engine bilge was a good idea. I'm not taking about the pan under the engine either.

He seemed to think it would stop the steel rusting if it got wet and hadn't considered that oil floats on water, nor the fact that every time he stepped on the engine room floor the oil would be transferred from his shoes onto the deck and make it slippery, and probably into the boat too. Just a bad idea all round.