Temperature of under-well deck space...

Featured Posts

Anywhere near the kitchen (I have a reverse layout and, sadly, it is open plan galley->saloon->dinette->...) is a wee bit close to the engine/webasto/morso/stuff to be ideal for a wine rack I think. Would the space under the well deck tend to get hot in summer? The water tank is built in at the bow and so I was thinking being next to that might help? There is a hatch into the space in the bow cabin and having the 'cellar' at the opposite end of the boat to most of the consumption might have a useful limiting effect ?

4 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

Under the cabin floor is the wine cellar space currently.

If you can create access to the cellar space under the cabin floor you could not wish for better temperature wine storage on a narrowboat. 

It sounds like your well deck and FW tank configuration is similar to mine and I think you'll be OK. I use that space as my tool shed and spares locker. The water around it keeps the space cool in summer and a few degrees warmer than outside in winter. My engine 'ole on my trad stern boat is similar and I have a max-min thermometer with probe back there. The latest minimum temperature recorded was 1.0 degrees in the control space above the floor and 3.7 degrees below the floor by the engine with the outside temperature falling to minus 1.1 degrees. I'd expect similar in my shed and your wine locker.

That said, the under floor wine store is a great solution in my book and should I have my flooring up at some point, building this is will be on my list of things to do..

Edited by Sea Dog
That said...

For wine the bilges should be fine but don't store food down there especially not canned foods. These need to be stored in dry conditions and moisture in the bilges can cause can seams to lose integrity which could lead to illness if you don't notice and end up eating the contents. Usually the can would blow and you'd see it but sometimes it doesn't and foods like canned fish can be deadly if the seams aren't intact.

Ah, I do have access under the floor but only under the two dinnette seats at present which wd be taking the self restraint aides too far I think. So, shall try bilge for now. Didn't want to reconfigure land based wine rack to under well deck shape only to find it got oven like in summer. :-) 

Fortunately(? for can based misadventure avoidance anyway) I have more kitchen cupboard space afloat than I've ever done on land so am already repurposing some of those for fluffies/tools/books etc! 

Thank you all! 

2 minutes ago, TheMenagerieAfloat said:

Didn't want to reconfigure land based wine rack to under well deck shape only to find it got oven like in summer. ?

Well, it won't, but then again if you've still got that wine left come the summer you really aren't trying hard enough. ;)

17 hours ago, TheMenagerieAfloat said:

Would the space under the well deck tend to get hot in summer?

In the days when I was a Scout, we used to make camp fridges by submerging one-third of an old munitions trunk in a stream.  Worked perfectly for keeping provisioned chilled.  One-third of a a steel box, hmmm, what does that remind you of?  Frankly, anywhere on a narrowboat, that is close to, or below, the water line (providing it isn’t being artificially heated) will be cool enough for vin plonk!

The canal water 500mm down rarely goes below 6 or 7 degrees in winter, great for your wine. But the summer temperature in a shallow canal/lake can reach 20 degrees but is usually about 14 - 15 degrees in summer where the water is deep enough for proper convection to the depths to occur.  Bilge with a steel hull may be one or two degrees above the water, when it's 30+ outside.