Printing Thread

AWETHEAYET

Featured Posts

Yes. Place your arrow over the page, click on the right-hand part of your mouse, choose "print" from the list which appears, press the "print" button and hey presto!

I have just tried it with this page. To my surprise and delight, for I am not renowned for my computer ability, it worked.

7 minutes ago, Athy said:

Yes. Place your arrow over the page, click on the right-hand part of your mouse, choose "print" from the list which appears, press the "print" button and hey presto!

I have just tried it with this page. To my surprise and delight, for I am not renowned for my computer ability, it worked.

That is just using the browser to print the current page, it is not printing the thread.

8 hours ago, AWETHEAYET said:

Is it possible to print off the contributions to a thread.

With out going through print page move down print page etc

Why would any sane person, and I thought you just :apple:may be, want a hard copy of the drivel published on here?       ?

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Boater Sam said:

Why would any sane person, and I thought you just :apple:may be, want a hard copy of the drivel published on here?       ?

there are many suggestions and tips about boat related hardware that will be handy to refer to while carrying out the job... if printed on a page.

p.s. : I have zero life skill so it all sounds technical jargon to me.

Edited by restlessnomad

I print out everything you type on here BS. One day, I am going to publish a book and name it "Boater Sams curmudgeonly Boating Bible - illustrated"

• Greenie 1

Athy's approach should print up to 25 posts at once, I guess you could set your own post/page count higher and use the same approach

We're serialising it for the Radio 4 comedey half hour... ;)

When I right click it also says ''Inspect element'' now this coild be quite missleading for many  folk who will start capering about checking bulb, immersion heater elements, electric kettle and iron elements.

Once at school during a talk by a master droning on about folks behavior, good and bad. He said, there's a good element and there's a bad element, my mate Roger Head stuck his hand up, ''Sir, sir,   What is it Head said the master,  sir, there's also the electric element.   Come out here Head and bend over tmy desk. He got two swipes of the slipper on his bum.

On 12/01/2020 at 09:53, buccaneer66 said:

It would seem that a facility for printing threads does not exist in the software that this forum uses https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/topic/442311-print-or-printer-friendly-feature/

Some interesting suggestions in that thread, there was a time when you could set (and hence increase) the number of posts per page but this was removed a long time ago for various reasons.

Obviously not always what you want, but I guess very few people print forum content these days.

Daniel

16 minutes ago, buccaneer66 said:

Maybe more useful these days if you could save a thread to PDF

Download and install PDFCreator .*

This acts like an additional printer, but creates pdf files instead. So if you can print the thread to paper then you can equally well print it to pdf. There is an option to merge several print actions into a single multi page pdf, so if yo end up printing threads 20 posts at a time, you could still get the lot in a single pdf file, albeit with a page break every 20 posts.

*Other PDF creating programmes are available, but that is the one I use.

17 hours ago, David Mack said:

Download and install PDFCreator .*

This acts like an additional printer, but creates pdf files instead. So if you can print the thread to paper then you can equally well print it to pdf. There is an option to merge several print actions into a single multi page pdf, so if yo end up printing threads 20 posts at a time, you could still get the lot in a single pdf file, albeit with a page break every 20 posts.

*Other PDF creating programmes are available, but that is the one I use.

The problem is that you can't actually print a thread all in one go.

On 12/01/2020 at 09:41, Mike the Boilerman said:

Didn't the OP specifically ask how to do this without having to do it for every page?

probably - but the thread consisted of only one page at that time, so there was no way of knowing whether it would printed the whole of the thread if it had been longer.

On 12/01/2020 at 08:40, Boater Sam said:

Maybe I could then slim it down just to your posts in case we run out of toilet paper.

Sorry for late response to all your posts, been away.

On 12/01/2020 at 09:43, restlessnomad said:

there are many suggestions and tips about boat related hardware that will be handy to refer to while carrying out the job... if printed on a page.

p.s. : I have zero life skill so it all sounds technical jargon to me.

On this site there are thousands of tips, tricks, advise etc. Some of the problem solving threads have many contributions that lead to route cause, these would be usful to print off and put in a folder for when!.

There are links to lots of different, useful topics, items for sale, practical items etc. (perhaps the site could create a "links" thread, where people could drop a simple explanasion of what it is and the link).

Thanks again for all your posts, even those that did attempt humour :)

On 12/01/2020 at 00:14, AWETHEAYET said:

Is it possible to print off the contributions to a thread. With out going through print page move down print page etc

13 minutes ago, AWETHEAYET said:

On this site there are thousands of tips, tricks, advise etc. Some of the problem solving threads have many contributions that lead to route cause, these would be usful to print off and put in a folder for when!.

There are links to lots of different, useful topics, items for sale, practical items etc. (perhaps the site could create a "links" thread, where people could drop a simple explanasion of what it is and the link)

I use a word processing software called Scrivener, so I'm not sure if you can do this with word or pages but I can copy and paste the whole of a forum page into that and any links posted on the forum remain active when I paste it into Scrivener. I don't normally do this but just tried it just now as an experiment and it works. 

So what I would do is :- On my MacBook - click page to make sure it's active - command A (this highlights the whole page) - right click on the highlighted area - click copy - go to open word (type) document - paste - go to the bottom of the transferred material and hit return, this is where you will copy and paste the next page of forum material. Once you have C&Ped all that you want you may need to do a bit of reformatting and then you can save that hopefully with links that are still active or if you really must print it out then you can do so from this file. I know this is still doing it one page at a time but C&Ping each page is quicker than printing each page plus you can format out all the bits you don't want or need. It's still a bit of a palaver though. 

:D However, what I would actually do is set up a folder in the bookmark section of your internet browser and just bookmark the first post of threads that you think you might want to return to. Simples - as a peculiar Russian ferret seems to say far too often. 

3 minutes ago, AWETHEAYET said:

I've tried that too in word, & note, also excell which I'm more in tune with , in all you still have to do it page by page.

Well yes, it doesn't matter what document you copy into if you can only copy as much as you can highlight. I don't know if you are using an Apple product because what I can do is save the thread as a PDF ebook in Apple Books again only one page at a time but this (other than bookmarks) is by far the easiest way I have to save posts offline. Two clicks and the page is saves to Books. 

I have found a way to do it, bit long winded but works

Click on the multy post cross on all the post, drop then in the submit reply box, right click select all. Press delete to get rid of them. Open up a word document, right click paste.

You can them remove spaces, unwanted items, links (That still work), etc. and print the result.

• Greenie 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 17/01/2020 at 19:05, AWETHEAYET said:

I have found a way to do it, bit long winded but works

Click on the multy post cross on all the post, drop then in the submit reply box, right click select all. Press delete to get rid of them. Open up a word document, right click paste.

You can them remove spaces, unwanted items, links (That still work), etc. and print the result.

Alternatively, go into the thread you want to 'print'

Highlight any word in the thread

Right click

Choose 'select all'

Open a word document

Right click paste

Remove all the rubbish (greenies, smilies, individuals post count etc)

Print out the word document