Botany bay to Milton Keynes.

Welsherfarr

Featured Posts

Hi All, 

Last year I got myself a boat (shell) it is a 25ft dawncraft cc. 

I am looking to sail it down the canals system home to Milton Keynes. I am looking to fit a Bison 100ft/lb trolling motor to power the boat using 4 X 12v 110ah batteries set up as 2 banks of 24v.

My thoughts for this trip are that I will need a generator and battery charger. So charge one set while I use the other. 

I will effectively be camping on the boat while I bring it back. I am fine with this. 

Reason for transporting via canal rather than road is for the experience of the journey. Being 204 miles away it is probably not going to be a journey I will be able to do again any time soon. Traveling all that way should take 14 days according to canalplanac. 

Does anyone else use trolling motors to move their boats. 

Fyi my boat is 25ft grp hull with no interior so weighs about 1500kgs. 

Can anyone recommend some places to stop at on the way? Any good marinas? 

Would like a place where I can grab a shower and maybe give the batteries a good over night charge too occasionally. 

You will have to do the Bridgewater canal completely inside a week unless you buy their license.

Loads of marinas on the way.

Take oars, you will need them after you run out of batteries.

Generator can only be run 8am till 8pm, not on the boat, unless its a diesel genny, so are you going to cruise in the dark and charge all day moored up?

Charging with a generator is not straightforward, you will get lots of "advice" soon on here, some good, some..................