McClaren Information

daves6guitars

Featured Posts

I've been off site for a couple of years but now retired I'm volunteering at the National Waterways Museum at Ellesmere Port. We have a 3 cylinder McClaren that was used as a standby engine to operate a swing bridge on the Manchester Ship Canal. We are in the process of overhauling it as the valve gear is a bit worse for wear. I would be interested to know if there is anyone out there who holds any sort of spare parts stock, or knows someone who does!

20160809_123446.jpg

3 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

that wouldn't be good at Silverstone, now would it?

:D

...though, from memory, a breed of sports car called a Lister Jaguar used to compete on racing circuits, probably including Silverstone. Was it the same Lister as the one we all know?

McClaren were a long time steam engine builders who branched out into Diesel early (ISTR they engined one of the Kerr Stuart prototype diesel lorries)  but were eventually swallowed up by Petters.  The PD range were initially at least badged as Petter-McClaren engines.

Internal Fire would be a good start for info, they hold the Petter archives, but spares are pretty scarce AFAIK.  What are you in need of?

N

There were a lot of these used on the Ship Canal as standby power for the hydraulic systems at locks and bridges. I don't know if some are still in place. Contact MSC or Peel or whatever to see if they still have spares? I may have some documentation somewhere for this  model  of engine, obtained years ago from a  retired Petter's engineer .There was some connection with Fowler's at Leeds as well, the latter's diesel shunters often had McLaren engines.

The radiator on your engine is a bought in item from Reliance(or Serck?) , its design being very similar to that fitted to Ruston engines of similar age and  size.This may be an indication that  engine parts were manufactured other than by McClaren and slightly more obtainable.

19 hours ago, Athy said:

:D

...though, from memory, a breed of sports car called a Lister Jaguar used to compete on racing circuits, probably including Silverstone. Was it the same Lister as the one we all know?

No a different Lister from Cambridge  - look up Brian Lister on a search engine.